Opinions on Salvos as DIR lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thumb loop would be nice though.
I suppose it'd be a nice convenience ... but I'm able to manage my light just fine without one.

Then again ... my scooter comes with a proper handle ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I had a tekna knife on my old can light. Was pretty worthless IMO. I have a "real" knife on my waist strap for cutting and shears in my pocket for the bigger and metal stuff. I wouldn't add a tekna to my new light even if given one for free.

I borrowed a can light (but only for a few dives) with a thumb loop. I don't scooter and couldn't for the life of me figure out how it'd be useful. I'm perfectly capable of palming the light head in my right hand.

Sheesh, I never imagined I'd get shot down for posting that. :shakehead:

You had it coming stroke.

:confused:Huh? That is from an H 18w HID...

I know it's an H "Explorer Handle" - I was just making the comment since this is a Salvo related thread :)

On to deciding which Tekna knife to get (Flat head? Pointed blade? Colour? Classic blue, DIR black, red, yellow or orange?)...

I had a tekna knife on my old can light. Was pretty worthless IMO. I have a "real" knife on my waist strap for cutting and shears in my pocket for the bigger and metal stuff. I wouldn't add a tekna to my new light even if given one for free.
I have actually found this one to be quite sharp. While it wouldn't be the first thing I'd go for if I were entangled, it's nice to know that it's still there as a last-ditch solution. If nothing else I would worry about dropping it, hence why I would go for my knife on my waist first.

I borrowed a can light (but only for a few dives) with a thumb loop. I don't scooter and couldn't for the life of me figure out how it'd be useful. I'm perfectly capable of palming the light head in my right hand.
I used it the first time in my GUE-F class; my instructor (Ed Gabe) brought his 10w and 18w lights since my 10w was on the fritz during class. Since my two buddies were both using 18s/21s, Ed let me use his 18w with thumb loop during the class and I LOVED it. I made sure when I got my own 18w that it had the loop. :wink:

Being able to hold the light in your right hand and still use your other fingers, while your left hand is occupied, is pretty nice.

Well then. I guess I have a proper handle as well, I just don't know how to use it.

... or maybe your standards are just higher than mine ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I know it's an H "Explorer Handle" - I was just making the comment since this is a Salvo related thread...

Ah sorry -- I misunderstood you.

I don't understand why they aren't put on the lights in the first place, or why Halcyon's upgrade is $80. It's a $2 piece of delrin, if that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom