Opinions on Salvos as DIR lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait, do people actually change focus on these things? On my latest light (Salvo 21W), I have about 200 dives. I haven't switched it from it's most focused setting once. Don't think I ever switched my other lights either. For me at least, "focusable" is over-rated. I just want "focused".

Wait, do people actually change focus on these things? On my latest light (Salvo 21W), I have about 200 dives. I haven't switched it from it's most focused setting once. Don't think I ever switched my other lights either. For me at least, "focusable" is over-rated. I just want "focused".

Yes, I have adjusted the focus on mine at various times. Mostly to help with video or still camera lighting. Wider beams produce less of a hot spot that can be distracting from the point of the image. Also to see a larger structure, e.g. "Jaws" in NoHoch in MX is ~40ft wide and 25-30ft tall. A super bright spot can't do it justice.

Gotcha. Don't dive caves, and don't shoot video/stills.

As I said, for *me* (now...), focusable just doesn't do much.

Glad it isn't a wasted feature though for others!

Hmm, lemme think:

Halcyon: €1,700
Salvo: €1,100 + metal Goodman handle €35.

Still don't see the case for a Halcyon.

Don't worry - it was a joke (I own a Salvo). :D

Was just making the point that you can order from Halcyon a 18/21W lighthead with an "Explorer Handle" (at some ridiculous extra cost) that includes a thumb loop and Tekna knife.

I asked Barry a few years ago whether he would consider adding a thumb loop/knife option and he said that he had no plans to do so. Yes, it's cheaper to add a DSS thumb loop kit (which I have on order) and a Tekna knife to your Salvo but it does not come from one vendor and you most likely have to source the parts yourself.

Yes, I have adjusted the focus on mine at various times. Mostly to help with video or still camera lighting. Wider beams produce less of a hot spot that can be distracting from the point of the image. Also to see a larger structure, e.g. "Jaws" in NoHoch in MX is ~40ft wide and 25-30ft tall. A super bright spot can't do it justice.
Absolutely agree!
The diffuse setting is great for night video, or looking for critters over a larger area....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom