Optimal Travel Back Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave616

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I currently own a Zeagle Ranger LTD and a Zeagle Scout. I enjoy diving the scout much more than the Ranger.
I have been reading all the threads about Back Plate/Wing setups over the last few days. There is a lot of information about what's out there and who has what, but not enough technical information for me to make a decision.
I'm mainly looking for a Travel rig so the standard steel plate is currently no interest.
I have it narrowed down to 3 types of lightweight(sub 2.5lbs.) back plates:

- Oxycheq Stainless Steel Travel Back plate
- Oxycheq Ultralite Travel Back plate
- Standard Style Aluminum Back plate

I would like to hear from people who own and use them, what the positives and negatives are and some technical information like type of steel/aluminum used.
Also, what are the limitations and lifespan under normal use.

When it comes to standard aluminum back plates, I would like to know why you chose the specific brand. Aluminum back plates seem to range in price from about $50-$130; what makes one anodized plate better than another?

I do live in MI and do a lot of cold water diving (below 60 degrees F), but to get my feet wet with a BP/W I would just like to start out with a warmer water rig.

Thank you in advance,
D

I know I'm not answering your question, but did you consider putting the DSS Kydex plate and travel wing on your list? That's what I use to travel nowadays.

I don't know if there are significant differences in aluminum plates, other than the number of holes and slots -- if you are doing single tank diving, you either need to be sure that the plate has camband slots, or buy an STA (which kind of defeats your purpose in minimizing the weight of the rig). Not all plates have them! And they vary in the number of holes along the edge, too, which can impact where you can secure items.

I know I'm not answering your question, but did you consider putting the DSS Kydex plate and travel wing on your list? That's what I use to travel nowadays.

I looked at the DSS Kydex but I cannot find a detailed picture of it. It shows up too small on my computer for some reason when I'm on the DSS website.

By travel wing, did you mean the OxyCheq 18 or the Dive Rite Travel EXP wing? I'm considering a smaller wing, but may buy 30 to also use it in colder fresh water.
I wanted to decide on a plate first.

I will buy one with camband slots.

From my perspective there a really minimal differences between standard metal BP's (either SS or Alu). Very minor differences in finish and secondary holes but nothing significant.

I had/have owned plates produced by Dive Rite, Hammerhead and DSS and there is no difference when you are in the water. I even owned a DSS Kydex plate but sold it as it wasn't fully compatible with a STA (unlike some others I appreciate the flexibility a STA allows) and IMHO there are a lot of other places where money is better spent.

For the money, the Hammerhead plates are great (super robust). Now if you are a very large or very small person Tobin DSS plates come in various sizes, but for most people this is not a really issue.

I even owned a DSS Kydex plate but sold it as it wasn't fully compatible with a STA (unlike some others I appreciate the flexibility a STA allows) and IMHO there are a lot of other places where money is better spent.
Now if you are a very large or very small person Tobin DSS plates come in various sizes, but for most people this is not a really issue.

To be honest, the price of the DSS Kydex BP is a deal breaker for me. I would rather spend the extra $$ on an OxyCheq Extreme Wing.

For travel I ended up with a Freedom Plate (made by ZKY here on SB) and an Oxycheq Mach V wing. It probably weighs a bit more than the UL plates, but it is also much more stable than these softer plates. It packs down very small and I've traveled with the whole rig in a medium size backpack in carry-on. The plate has no holes to secure additional "gadgets" so that may be a downside to some:

ScubaBoard Gallery - Freedom Plate

Henrik

Another option is the Zeagle Express Tech. It is a hybrid between a standard BC and BP/W. Fexible Bach plate a wing and a harness. It Packes small and light for travel but can be used in cod water also it is ordered with a 36 #, wing which you probably have on you scout, for cold water diving.

It is very customizable and flexible in adjustment.

I had more issues putting an STA on my old Transpac II than my buddies DSS plate... The Transpac had wrinkled a bit since it was hung funny from the previous owner, it's all betterer now.
Why the ultralite plate? You can fit any of the normal plates in a carryon bag and as long as you don't hump the bag on the scanner, they hardly ever check the carryons for weight. I had a carryon that was almost 60lbs and was fine. My buddy had one that was 30 and they weighed his because he struggled getting it up to the belt. Save yourself the weightbelt in the keys, and just get a normal plate. I agree, the Kydex is wicked expensive.
If you want an ultrasmall one that is cheap, I love my Oxycheq Ultralite plate. I bought it this summer from Cave Advanturers, and it's great. Uses a normal HOG type harness, doesn't allow an STA, but I wouldn't use it for doubles... It's a great travel option for those not wanting to shell out for a Transpac, or those wanting a try soft plate with a HOG type harness

Another option is the Zeagle Express Tech. It is a hybrid between a standard BC and BP/W. Fexible Bach plate a wing and a harness. It Packes small and light for travel but can be used in cod water also it is ordered with a 36 #, wing which you probably have on you scout, for cold water diving.

It is very customizable and flexible in adjustment.

I'm extremely happy with all of my Zeagle gear but I'm really looking to get into to a BP/W rig. My Scout came with the (IIRC) 24lb. wing. I actually bought two of them when Leisure Pro accidentally listed them as 30% off their already low price. Both Scout BC's were shipped to my house for $300.

The Express just doesn't interest me at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom