Optimal Travel Back Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would opt for a standard AL back plate which you may need in the future with different cylinder/exposure protection combos.

Which brand/model do you recommend and why?

I have not used it without the STA, the 17# Halcyon wing isn't slotted for straps and requires an STA. I can certainly take some pictures and post them for you tomorrow.

Halcyon makes a 17lb wing?

I have the Oxycheq UL travel plate and their older 18# travel wing and could not be happier. It is not as stable as a good metal plate but it is fine for warm tropical diving. I do use 2 Scubapro tank straps but could probably get away with 1 if careful. I probably have about 6 trips and 100 dives on it with no signs of wear or other problems.

Traveling with my wife and the kinds of thing you need to bring in that case is no problem - bags are well under to 50# limit. I bought this rig when the new airline restrictions made my 6# plate a bit of a packing problem. I have sincie buitl a much lighter AL plate (2#) that works with the travel wing but still prefer the UL travel plate.

You guys have me sold on buying the OxyCheq UL plate in addition to either an Aluminum plate or SS Travel plate.

ya, if I were you, and you know you're going to be moving to plates and wings, I'd get either an UL plate OR an AL, AND a SS plate. Most of us have a couple of plates. Usually a SS one for singles and really cold stuff, and an AL that we use with the heavy steel doubles when cave diving or in lighter exposure protection. I use a Transpac/Nomad for most of the stuff *doubles and sidemount*, and the UL for singles

I too dive a Scout BC(for about 4 years now) & almost 2 years ago ordered a BP/W just for the heck of it.....I chose my DR BP/W cause it was a great deal money wise(pd about 250 for everything)-----------love both systems & they weigh the same for traveling, about 5.5 lbs each...

I have not used it without the STA, the 17# Halcyon wing isn't slotted for straps and requires an STA. I can certainly take some pictures and post them for you tomorrow.

Thank you for those pics, I'm almost positive that's the rig for me (minus the wing).
I'll probably do the Mach 30 wing possibly the Extreme version.

I just thought I would update this thread because I ordered a bunch gear over the past two weeks.
I ended up buying two different sets of gear.

For my cold freshwater Great Lakes diving I bought:

- OxyCheq 40lb. Mach V Extreme Wing
- OMS AL BP
- OxyCheq basic Hog Harness
- 2 Dive Rite SS Cam Bands
- 2 Dive Rite Sex Bolts

For my tropical (saltwater) travel rig I purchased:

- OxyCheq 18lb. Mach V Extreme Wing (Yes, it does exist!)
- OxyCheq Ultralight Travel Back Plate (Soft Fabric Plate)
- OxyCheq basic Hog Harness
- 2 Highland SS Cam Bands
- 2 Dive Rite Sex Bolts

A few other pieces of gear for either setup:

- OxyCheq Trifold Pocket
- OxyCheq Small Weight Pouches (Mesh type, for the top Cam Band if needed)

I will try the AL plate with the 18lb. wing also.

Thanks to Edd at Cave Adventures, he gave me pricing I could not say no to. Great guy, and incredible customer service.

He recommended the OMS AL plate over the OxyCheq because the OMS was smoother plate all around (and saved me about $60).

Thanks to everyone else who gave advice in this thread and for indoctrinating me into the BP/W cult :wink:

D

P.S. Let me know if I missed anything...

I too dive a Scout BC(for about 4 years now) & almost 2 years ago ordered a BP/W just for the heck of it.....-love both systems & they weigh the same for traveling, about 5.5 lbs each...

Which one do you tend to use the most when traveling... and why?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom