Overweight Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingdispatcher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm getting into diving getting ready to take a class actually. But due to my size I figured I would get my own gear rather than hoping the rental gear fits. I realize I'm going to need a custom made wet suit, but the big problem is most of the normal bcd's I have looked at are too small. I've looking at the backplate systems with airwing bc. I think this would be easier to tailor to my size. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Rental BCD could work with a cummerbund extension. We have one in our store's rental department that some of our larger customers use.

Rental BCD could work with a cummerbund extension. We have one in our store's rental department that some of our larger customers use.
Where would someone purchase a cumberbund extension?

talk to the people you are doing your training with they may surprise you with what they can come up with.

A backplate and wing system is infinitely adjustable and can be tailored to fit you as almost no extra cost.

a BP/W consists of 3 primary components:

harness
plate
wing

then if you dive single tanks you will need a single tank adapter and 2 tank straps.

a basic hogarthian harness is composed of a single piece of 2 inch nylon webbing, no cutting or sewing is required. most people use 15 feet or less of the webbing but if your a little bigger than average you only need to order a few extra feet of webbing at $1-2 per foot so its a trivial expense to make a harness that fits you.

If you start to drop weight you will only have to make adjustments to the harness and trim off the excess and if you gain weight you need only adjust the harness out a bit and if you end up short on webbing then its only $20 or so for a completely new harness.

The stainless steel plates will take at least 6lbs off your weight belt too, if your a bit bigger you will need more lead to sink so having the backplate should more evenly distribute your ballast and be more comfortable then loading up a belt.

if you want weight integration then those pockets can easily be added to any back plate.

T

What I am about to say is in no way judgmental but I hope it will be helpful.
I just read an article that stated ~50% of Mass. EMS responders were over weight or obese.
These were all young people and the majority had very low measured exercise tolerance.

Congratulations on taking up scuba but I might recommend you consider seeing your MD for an exercise stress test if you consider any strenuous open water diving. [Yes even at age 26.]
Welcome to diving.

I've also been thinking of using dual tanks so that I will have the extra air does anyone have any thoughts on this.

I've also been thinking of using dual tanks so that I will have the extra air does anyone have any thoughts on this.

Start out with a BP/W --that's a good idea. Double tanks --not such a good idea to start. I would learn to dive with a single tank and if you find the need, work up to doubles. If you are concerned about how much air you use, consider a single tank with a grater volume, such as an AL 100 rathern than and AL 80. Some steel tanks by themselves will give you nearly as much gas as a set of double 80s.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom