Oxycheq Ultra lite + travel wing questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi. Do you use a STA with the oxycheq travel BP? Is that travel BP SS or AL? Thanks.

The oxycheq travel plate is soft (fabric). The wing has role control so no STA required. The rig is not as stable as metal or hard plate but adequate, extremely light, and surprisingly comfortable.

I was referring to the Oxycheq Travel BP, which is metal, I believe SS--it's basically an ordinary BP with all metal cut out except for where the harness slots thread. The Oxycheq Ultra Light Travel BP is the fabric one.

Another question I have about the Oxycheq wings, esp that 18# wing, is how the cam band's thread through the wing to the plate, whatever plate, if they did away with the cam band slots in the wing in order to make the wing so thin. They claim on their websit that they achieved the thinness by eliminated the cam slots--so how do you thread cam bands to the BP?

Just thought I would refresh this thread with another ultralite plate and wing question :D

I was diving with a transpac and dive rite travel wing (an older model without the grommets and am pretty sure it has 24 lb lift or less). I also have a mach v 30 lb that I have used with it but kinda like the fact that the dr wing is lighter and quicker drying.

I just bought the oxycheq ultralite plate and plan on selling off my transpac.

For those of you that use the ultralite plate... can you use wings other than oxycheq ones with them by just bolting them to it?

Since the mach v has the rolled tabs down the middle that act like a sta, can I get by with using a wing that doesn't have that? Am really leaning towards the new modle dr travel wing with the grommets if it will work with the plate and simply sell off my other wings along with the transpac if I do.

Seems like it shouldn't be a problem and am thinking that the only reason oxycheq states that you need their wing with it is simply another way for them to make more money. :eyebrow:

Would love feedback on using different brand wings with the plate from those of you that do just that.

I will only be using it for diving outside the US

thanks

Oxycheq #18 wing and travel plate paired with a PST 100 cu/ft HP steel tank is all I've used for the past 5 years. Before that I used the same orally inflated snorkling vest I was trained on when certified in 1968.

I'm primarily a California free diver and like this set up mostly for it's bouyancy characteristics. The wing and travel plate weigh very little and the tank is only slightly negative. That means I can switch back and forth between free diving and tank diving without having to change the weight on my belt.

I also like the streamlined lack of bulk the small wing and travel plate afford me. It's about as close to the freedom of free diving you can get with a tank. To simplify things further, I cut off the wing's auto inflate fitting and filled the hole with epoxy. Now it's oral inflate only. If I need to trim out at depth, I simply remove my regulator and blow a little air into the wing. This works great and leaves me with one less air hose to hang up on something.

18 pounds of lift is plenty for trimming out at depth and compensating for a full bag of lobster. I take along a 50 lb. lift bag if I'm going for rock scallops or need to lift a heavy object off the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom