Oxycheq Ultra lite + travel wing questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ekremer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,
I currently dive a Zeagle Ranger, and have been finding it really cumbersome to travel with, and have been debating a Bp/W setup for a while. The Ultra Lite seems like a really well priced plate that may be great for my needs, but I haven't been able to find a lot of real world answers about it.

First, what are the buoyancy characteristics of the plate? would I be able to reduce some weight from my ranger? I know with the ranger and an Aluminum tank I need right up there at 14 lbs-ish to be weighted with my 3/2 suit (I normally dive steel 130's, so Its been a long time since I have done a proper weight check with AL). If I could drop some weight with the plate, I wouldn't have to worry about a bigger wing.

Second, packing. What is the real difference in the size the bp/w setup takes up vs the ranger? Does it really sit nearly flat? Do you think I could fit the bp/w + a wetsuit in a standard carry on with room for clothes?

Third, punishment. How durable are these plates, they seem to be made from fabric. Will they stand up to punishment, how hard is it for instance to accidently fold the thing in half by packing it wrong? Or am I wrong and its actually a different material underneath?

Finally, would anyone in the Boca Raton, FL area have one I could look at :D I checked the oxycheq site, and it seems the only dealer in my area may not actually exist there? not sure the site was strange.

Buoyancy--negligible, neutral.

Packing--yes, it packs flat or can be rolled.

Durability-- less than a metal plate.

N

Oh, the thing can be rolled? then how is it in the water? Does it supply the same stability advantages as a normal plate?

Does it supply the same stability advantages as a normal plate?

I don't have one so I'm sort of guessing, but I suspect no. The rigid plate couples the tank to your back by spreading out the contact of the round cylinder to a large area of your back. A small fabric "plate" simply can't feel the same. But, despite that, it probably is a pretty comfortable travel solution. I have never heard any complaints.

You can get a kydex plate from DSS or just an AL plate from oxycheq; those are very lightweight and take up very little room in baggage.

…First, what are the buoyancy characteristics of the plate?...

It weighs 9.6 ounces/272 grams, is made of heavy Nylon fabric. Plate is an overstatement. I have one and find it stable when bolted to a wing. I have never tried it without a wing.

… Does it really sit nearly flat? …

Yes, it is flat until you pull the belly band to bend it around you. The Travel pack on an 18 Lb Oxycheq Mach V Signature wing is the smallest and lightest package I have seen.

… How durable are these plates, they seem to be made from fabric. Will they stand up to punishment, how hard is it for instance to accidently fold the thing in half by packing it wrong? Or am I wrong and its actually a different material underneath?...

There is a 2" wide Nylon Web sewn the full height of the pack with stainless grommets for the bolts to secure the wing. I can't say exactly what is sandwiched between the two layers of Nylon canvas but it can be rolled into a tube and recovers. What kind of punishment are you considering? I would not use it for commercial diving applications but believe it will hold up longer than a jacket BC.

… Finally, would anyone in the Boca Raton, FL area have one I could look at ...

I bought mine from Add Helium. I believe they are located in Naples, FL if that is close.

addheliumstore.com

I was also recently in the market for a low profile, light weight BP/wing set-up. I looked at the ultra lite. However, in the end I went with the SS travel plate from Oxycheq. It is only 2.5 pounds. I am very please with it. I am using it with an Oxycheq 18lb wing.

I have had one for almost 3 years old now but only use it when I fly to warm locations (Cozumel and Bonaire). That amounts to about 100 dives. I am very happy with it. Weight is minimal. It is not as stable as my metal plates but it is more than adequate for an Al80. I'm sure it is not as durable as a metal plate but I'm afraid it is probably more durable than me. I don't do any disassembly or take any precautions in packing it other than to try to make sure no pokey metal bits are going to get it. It still looks pretty new - no signs of wear.

Hi Guys,
I currently dive a Zeagle Ranger, and have been finding it really cumbersome to travel with, and have been debating a Bp/W setup for a while. The Ultra Lite seems like a really well priced plate that may be great for my needs, but I haven't been able to find a lot of real world answers about it.

First, what are the buoyancy characteristics of the plate? would I be able to reduce some weight from my ranger? I know with the ranger and an Aluminum tank I need right up there at 14 lbs-ish to be weighted with my 3/2 suit (I normally dive steel 130's, so Its been a long time since I have done a proper weight check with AL). If I could drop some weight with the plate, I wouldn't have to worry about a bigger wing.

Second, packing. What is the real difference in the size the bp/w setup takes up vs the ranger? Does it really sit nearly flat? Do you think I could fit the bp/w + a wetsuit in a standard carry on with room for clothes?

Third, punishment. How durable are these plates, they seem to be made from fabric. Will they stand up to punishment, how hard is it for instance to accidently fold the thing in half by packing it wrong? Or am I wrong and its actually a different material underneath?

Finally, would anyone in the Boca Raton, FL area have one I could look at :D I checked the oxycheq site, and it seems the only dealer in my area may not actually exist there? not sure the site was strange.

If you want a good travel option, then the Kydex plate from DSS n their complete kit would be a great option. You can mix n match wings from other companies with a sta as well.

The oxycheq ultralight is a super light setup but as others have said it might not be as stable as a standard bp/w like this:
BackPlate and Wing Package reviews and discounts, Dive Rite

You can also consider the Zeagle express tech as it's as light n as affordable as anything else out there:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...h-first-last-bc-most-will-ever-need-want.html

If you need a slightly larger wing you might want to contact Scott or your lds n see if you can get a 35lbs wing.

Cheers,

SangP

Oh, the thing can be rolled? then how is it in the water? Does it supply the same stability advantages as a normal plate?

Nope, but it is plenty fine. N

However, in the end I went with the SS travel plate from Oxycheq. It is only 2.5 pounds.

Well, see, standing in the airport check in line, airplane waiting at the gate and the mean old hoot at the counter says "your bag sir is 2 pounds over" then consider that in my bag is everything you have exactly the same but for our plates, my plate weighs .5 pounds and yours weighs 2.5 pounds, I pass, you pay a 60 dollars over weight fee. :idk:

Two pounds here, one there, three there and soon you are over limit.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom