P-valve malfunction - questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goldmember

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have recently started using a balanced p-valve (Sitech) that came on my USIA Techniflex drysuit and it leaks through the small (balance/check valve?) hole in the middle of the valve on the inside of the suit. On the first couple of dives in the suit everything was fine (I think...), but now it leaks (minor, but still annoying).

Last couple of dives I did not hook it up and it leaked seawater. I just tested it at home by slowly flushing distilled water through it from the tubing and it also leaks during flushing (so probably also when urinating during the dive; something I'd like to avoid!! :no: ).

My questions:
- what could be the cause / solution?
- any PDFs around about p-valve re-assembling and maintenance?
- could a mix of water/vinegar damage the valve? mix of water/vinegar/alcohol?
- do all balanced p-valve leak a bit?

I have sent an e-mail with similar questions to Sitech but no response so far. I intend to take it apart some time this week...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Took it apart...

I just took the outer part of the valve apart and found this:

Image16.jpg

Image18.jpg

This is probably not what this diaphragm should look like :shocked2: . I'll try to replace it and see if that solves the problem...

Yeah, I would say that is bad... I would think that SiTech would send you a new one....

Phil

Yeah, I would say that is bad... I would think that SiTech would send you a new one....

Phil

Thanks Phil. I just took the whole thing apart and it looks similar inside... I will contact them again. Have done so twice, via e-mail, and I've never received a reply. Will see if their sales department is better at responding than their customer support... One complication is that I am in Japan...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom