P- Valve vs relief zipper vs depends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Relief zip user here. I’ve had two suits with them and obviously like them. Don’t think I’ve ever run into any others so I’m a small minority here! No suit manufacturer offers them standard but they will all be happy enough to do one custom, it’s not complicated. It’s a nice little compromise between the hassle of a real P-valve and the discomfort of being trapped in a normal suit. Of no use on those day-long decompression expeditions of course, you can’t use it underwater, VERY convenient for a dive or three on a tour boat. Especially valuable on a rear entry suit that’s harder to get out of: once I’m zipped in there I like to stay in all day.

This was 6 or 7 years ago. So if that is a new model/design, then no. Looking at the website, visually it looks like what I had. (EDIT: At that time, I had spoken to a number of other divers that had the same experience as me. A number of other divers never had an issue. Production run? Possibly. But I was sick of it at the end. EDIT2: It was so bad that I would tape a plastic bag onto my undergarment and then a towel over that to mitigate the leak that I knew would happen. JFC)

But Halcyon/Light Monkey have never leaked, so I'm sticking with that. For a new suit, I wouldn't put on a SiTech valve even if it was free. I'd rather pay for one from H/LM. I'm just done with SiTech.

I get it, a piece of gear proves problematic several times it becomes hard to get past that.
He does have a point

We have come up with two reasons that we think can be the issue:

1) The norprene hose is a bit too weak and when it folds it affects the compensation check valve with urine leakage as a result.

2) Insufficient pressure on the compensation check valve causing back leakage.

#1 is definitely not applicable.
#2 if I can't just attach the condom catheter with the valve highlighted in red opened:
1673376578641.png

and jump in the water, the design is garbage in my opinion. It is a freaking p-valve FFS. I just need a hose to connect to my hose so that I can pee in my dry suit and not pee on myself. The valve that I open and close with my Halcyon and Light Monkey p-valves has never let me down. My username is for the weather in Seattle, but I guess I could have chosen it for my usage of SiTech p-valves.

Tell me how I'm wrong.

1) The norprene hose is a bit too weak and when it folds it affects the compensation check valve with urine leakage as a result.

#2 if I can't just attach the condom catheter with the valve highlighted in red opened:
View attachment 763443
and jump in the water, the design is garbage in my opinion. It is a freaking p-valve FFS. I just need a hose to connect to my hose so that I can pee in my dry suit and not pee on myself. The valve that I open and close with my Halcyon and Light Monkey p-valves has never let me down. My username is for the weather in Seattle, but I guess I could have chosen it for my usage of SiTech p-valves.

Tell me how I'm wrong.
Early issue that was corrected, the hose in the picture is the new one, the inside valve has been redesigned. Any balanced valve runs the risk of leaking inside the suit, ANY.

I can’t see any reason to just use that valve when quick connects work, I prefer the ones with no check valve function.

Early issue that was corrected, the hose in the picture is the new one, the inside valve has been redesigned. Any balanced valve runs the risk of leaking inside the suit, ANY.

I can’t see any reason to just use that valve when quick connects work, I prefer the ones with no check valve function.
After having ruined an expensive undergarment with frequent washings, I go with the simplest design. I don't see a good tradeoff being made here for a more complex design. Others may disagree.

What would be great is to see the date on that release. Hopefully Seaskin doesn't have a bunch of old stock so the one installed on my suit isn't the "defective" batch.
They don’t, I contacted sitech about it years ago, that black hose is the indicator of the newer design, this is before I found over zealous flushing to cause the problem.

View attachment 763443

Tell me how I'm wrong.
Wait, you had a problem with red part?! Not the valve?

Wait, you had a problem with red part?! Not the valve?
No. I just flipped that forward to be open, connected my catheter to it, and jumped in the water.
There should be no additional steps. If there are, the design is garbage (my opinion). I had a problem with the exterior valve part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom