P- Valve vs relief zipper vs depends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the current trigon operator error can be an issue.
Besides flushing it with too much pressure (doesn't apply in my cases) what other operator is there? Too much pressure out of my junk for when the coffee kicks in?

Please don't nickname me "Firehose" :oops:

Can we get a vote going on balanced vs unbalanced? All things being equal, balanced seems like the way to go, unless they have a very high failure rate. I’d rather not force a pee just to prime the tube.
@Ross19966
I vote unbalanced because that is what I ordered my suit with. No other reason whatsoever...

Besides flushing it with too much pressure (doesn't apply in my cases) what other operator is there? Too much pressure out of my junk for when the coffee kicks in?

Please don't nickname me "Firehose" :oops:
Fire hose, explains your user name :wink:

Can we get a vote going on balanced vs unbalanced? All things being equal, balanced seems like the way to go, unless they have a very high failure rate. I’d rather not force a pee just to prime the tube.
I vote unbalanced.

I've used balanced for years but went unbalanced on a Seaskin Ultra, Light Monkey. I expected problems as I'm rarely able to prime on the surface, but no, just left the valve open and dove it, no issues at all. I prefer the simplicity and easy cleaning of the unbalanced.

Five pages on P-valves and not one Irish limerick? What's with y'all?

In days of old,
when knights were bold,
before P-valves were invented.
The best latrine was neoprene,
especially when rented.

1. When way down deep, if the valve fails in the system that is connected from the outside to your urinary system, can anything very sudden and very bad happen to your urinary system?

2. Can candiru get up through the pee valve?

1. When way down deep, if the valve fails in the system that is connected from the outside to your urinary system, can anything very sudden and very bad happen to your urinary system?

2. Can candiru get up through the pee valve?

No & No

The large thick neoprene hose that comes with it will not crush, you’d have to use pliers to crush and block it off.
The hose isn't going to be the crush point, the squishy tip of the catheter and any airspace left in it will crush first. If it crushes the catheter tube, you are kinked off. if you insert the connector all the way into the dome, you have removed that possibility.

The failure rate is not high, it is just something that will eventually fail vs something that won't.
Also, when people say balanced requires more maintenance, are we talking about per dive care or longer-term care. Whenever I get my drysuit, I'm probably going to do 4 tanks a months between warm water trips. At that rate, is it as big a deal?
Per dive care is rinse the hose and valve out. I use steramine as I have it mixed up and handy. Some use vinegar, some use alcohol, some just use a lot of tap water.
The point is, rinse it out with something other than pee.
The valves usually last many years before failure, even longer now that most are using silicone flaps instead of rubber. They are rebuildable, most kits are less than $15. It is a couple of orings and a couple of flapper valves. Very simple and reliable.

Back
Top Bottom