PADI AOW vs SSI deep diver qualifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Certainly some of the criticism as ‘against standards’ above is rubbish.
I assume you mean that some aspects of the dives were within standards. No arguments. The depths, for example, appear to be within standards. But surely you are not saying all aspects were within standards.

To those who think my actions were complete wrecklessness, I can assure you they were not.

Have you ever heard the phrase "You don't know what you don't know"?

Tell us the sites and people can evaluate the position. It may be that from you point of view it was as you reported, but from an objective look at the wrecks you were ok. Certainly some of the criticism as ‘against standards’ above is rubbish.

Do you know of any standards from any agency for deep or nitrox courses that allow for taking an untrained student into penetration wrecks with 15m to an opening, while being on wrecks "29-32"m down, with just a 12l tank, likely exceeding the 1.4 MOD for the nitrox being used?? While I'm not an instructor, I can't believe that would be acceptable to any agency. Not being trained in wreck penetration yet diving in a wreck, stirring up silt, and having less than 3ft of visibility, not even being able to see his instructor? That's "to standards" for some agency??

nitrogen narcosis usually start at 40 m depth.
I know a few divers who disagree with that. Me included.

if you did puzzle solving at 30 m depth you wasted your effort :) nitrogen narcosis usually start at 40 m depth. Besides, this is the first time in my life i hear that you did deep dive with nitrox in order to experience nitrogen narcosis

not to change the subject of this string, but just so you know: the puzzle is a novelty and a waste at any depth (imho), nitrogen narcosis can start in as little as 20m, and there is evidence that suggests that oxygen is more narcotic than nitrogen - which would make nitrox ideal for experiencing narcosis ...

EAN32 @ 32m - I don't see the MOD violation though. Did I miss something?

not to change the subject of this string, but just so you know: the puzzle is a novelty and a waste at any depth, nitrogen narcosis can start in as little as 20m, and there is evidence that oxygen is more narcotic than nitrogen - making nitrox ideal for experiencing narcosis ...
In addition, today's PADI Deep class (I can't speak for SSI) does NOT do a puzzle or any kind of cognitive test until dive 3 of the 4-dive class....at 130 ft.

and there is evidence that oxygen is more narcotic than nitrogen -
But who really knows? A recent study cited on ScubaBoard indicated that contrary to expectations, divers on nitrox were at least a little more clear headed than divers on air.

and there is evidence that suggests that oxygen is more narcotic than nitrogen -
But who really knows? A recent study cited on ScubaBoard indicated that contrary to expectations, divers on nitrox were at least a little more clear headed than divers on air.
But is the difference - either way - big enough that it isn't lost in the variations due to diving conditions and the diver's condition?

Me, I suspect it isn't. So I'm considering my tank of EAN32 to be just as narcotic as my buddy's tank of air. And while I one day may dive to 30m without noticing a thing, another day I might well feel the stupid creeping up on me already at 25m since diving conditions are different and my condition is different on different dives. So I'll be looking out out for the nark anyhow.

And, for the benefit of new readers, here's an old, but very good thread about N2 narcosis: Narcosis -- insidious and subtle

But is the difference - either way - big enough that it isn't lost in the variations due to diving conditions and the diver's condition?

Regardless of any difference, Nitrox or not, a diver is susceptible to narcosis, and thinking one is not affected has little bearing and whether one is actually affected at the time.

There are ways to gauge how affected you are, but one has to understand they are narked rather than believing they are not affected.

Bob

Regardless of any difference, Nitrox or not, a diver is susceptible to narcosis, and thinking one is not affected has little bearing and whether one is actually affected at the time.

There are ways to gauge how affected you are, but one has to understand they are narked rather than believing they are not affected.
Yep. When you're stupid, it takes extra effort to understand that you're stupid. Unless you're unusually, very noticeably stupid that day...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom