PADI Divemaster insurance costs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will SSI "cross certify" based on my PADI certifications, or will there be re-testing involved for the ratings I hold with PADI? I know NAUI will grant a C-card based on PADI certifications, after certain conditions are met, but I can't find anything on SSI's web site that would indicate that this is possible.

Once I have the PADI Master Scuba Diver rating I would like to apply to SSI for a "cross certification" to obtain the same rating. At that time I would leave PADI behind and (hopefully) proceed to the DiveCon course with SSI. PADI seems to be more about marketing than diving at this point.

BTW- I heard my former PADI instructor's insurance jumped to almost $1,000.00 this year... with no claims!

Yes you can cross over from the dark side light. I would have to go get my manual with the standard in it to give you the exact requirements but as my books are in my pick-up and it is pouring down rain outside, I aint going!

Stay dry... this will wait! I'll check with the SSI LDS tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

PS- I'll trade your rain for the 2-3" of lake effect snow we are getting right now!

wmspdi:
I heard my former PADI instructor's insurance jumped to almost $1,000.00 this year... with no claims!
He might be talking about all insurance combined, instructor’s liability + DAN + equipment protection.

Consider taking a DM or Divecon course for the value you would get out of it. After completing the course, you’ll be very comfortable with your basic skills and have broader knowledge and experience. Nothing requires you to work as a DM/DC afterwards, so no need to buy insurance.
Or you might be surprised and find you enjoy working with students so much that you’ll continue that path.

As a former flight instructor I understand what working with students involves, and I am also aware of the liability exposure if something goes wrong. I don't know if I would feel comfortable diving "unisured" once I earned the DM/DiveCon rating. My fear is that if I were a "Dive Professional" on a recreational dive (as just a diver) and something went wrong on that dive, that I might be drawn into a lawsuit based on any assistance that I might provide (or fail to provide).

I am not sure if non-working "dive professionals" have a duty to provide care and assistance in an emergency, and what tort exposure it may present. I will admit that as a law enforcement officer in our lawsuit crazy society I am a little paranoid about this. Persoanl Injury Lawyers tend to name everyone they can in a lawsuit, if only to make sure they get into the deepest pockets within reach. BTW- It is said that sharks don't attack personal injury lawyers out of professional courtesy!

I may still take the DM/DiveCon course, but with such a huge commitment of time and training money I want to be sure I tie in with a training organization I can afford to stay with (insurance and recurent training).

I started to became disenchanted with PADI last year when I was trying to schedule some specialty courses. I was told by more than one PADI instructor that, with the exception of NITROX, the "specialty courses" were superficial at best. They were designed to be a money maker for the dive shops (training) and PADI (course materials and C-cards). Those instructors said my money would be better spent just diving (and gaining experience) rather than taking specialties that didn't mean much.

Since PADI has already gotten my money for the course materials I will complete those specialties. After that I think I want to "jump ship" to another agency to continue my training. Maybe I will go to SSI, NAUI or even go the TEC route.

Sorry to all the working PADI Pros... I didn't mean to start bashing PADI, but the insurance costs seemed to be the final straw. As for the "lawyer" joke above, I would like to appologize to the sharks (it wasn't fair to lump you in with the tort lawyers).

catherine96821:
Yes, PADI and the "support the local dive shop" is a little unethical in my opinion.

With that said, the SSI DiveCon book says the same thing. "Support the LDS".

diveman7683:
With that said, the SSI DiveCon book says the same thing. "Support the LDS".

I don't have a big problem with that. I just need to work with a dive shop that sells the brands I use, so I don't have to promote gear I don't use or believe in. I am NOT going to change my gear, or buy a second system for class use. I am sure my local PADI dive shop doesn't want new students looking to buy the brands and items I use, as they don't carry those products.

The new shop I am dealing with, who sells the products I now use, is an SSI school. The problem is my certs are through PADI. Another reason to jump ship to SSI.

wmspdi:
As a former flight instructor I understand what working with students involves, and I am also aware of the liability exposure if something goes wrong. I don't know if I would feel comfortable diving "unisured" once I earned the DM/DiveCon rating. My fear is that if I were a "Dive Professional" on a recreational dive (as just a diver) and something went wrong on that dive, that I might be drawn into a lawsuit based on any assistance that I might provide (or fail to provide).

I am not sure if non-working "dive professionals" have a duty to provide care and assistance in an emergency, and what tort exposure it may present. I will admit that as a law enforcement officer in our lawsuit crazy society I am a little paranoid about this. Persoanl Injury Lawyers tend to name everyone they can in a lawsuit, if only to make sure they get into the deepest pockets within reach. BTW- It is said that sharks don't attack personal injury lawyers out of professional courtesy!

I may still take the DM/DiveCon course, but with such a huge commitment of time and training money I want to be sure I tie in with a training organization I can afford to stay with (insurance and recurent training).

I started to became disenchanted with PADI last year when I was trying to schedule some specialty courses. I was told by more than one PADI instructor that, with the exception of NITROX, the "specialty courses" were superficial at best. They were designed to be a money maker for the dive shops (training) and PADI (course materials and C-cards). Those instructors said my money would be better spent just diving (and gaining experience) rather than taking specialties that didn't mean much.

Since PADI has already gotten my money for the course materials I will complete those specialties. After that I think I want to "jump ship" to another agency to continue my training. Maybe I will go to SSI, NAUI or even go the TEC route.

Sorry to all the working PADI Pros... I didn't mean to start bashing PADI, but the insurance costs seemed to be the final straw. As for the "lawyer" joke above, I would like to appologize to the sharks (it wasn't fair to lump you in with the tort lawyers).
NO matter what agency you go with you still have to pay for liability insurance,shop for your best deal/value,its not just "padi"....For people going "pro" yes you need dm rating to go on,but if you do not plan on becoming an instructor why get dm??For the training? you can get quality training by completing specialities and work at that.Get a "master diver" certification if you like labels and recognition..Dm is something you have to maintain and pay dues and should get insurance. In that same line of thought why get instr.rating if you can't/will not use it? If you go with ssi you are confined to work only for an ssi facility..There are many many more opportunities to teach for a padi facility than any other..If you are going to work as crew on a boat ,then I say get at least dm with insurance so that they don't come and take your car,house ,dog if there is an accident.For if there is an accident the lawyers use a shotgun and try to see what deep pocket they can hit..
this is written by someone who started out as a nasds instr,then padi and ssi..I made the most $ and did the majority of my students under padi..

Dues... nobody said anything about dues!!! OK, point taken! I will finish off the PADI specialties I have on the table and skip the "Pro" route. I don't believe I would have the time to teach, at least not on regular basis, and I don't care about the labels. Next time I need to replace a worn out C-card I may get the Master Scuba Diver rating. Once I have all 5 specialties it will cost about the same as a replacement C-card. Other than that I guess I will spend my planned training dollars just diving, or on tec/multi-gas training. Thanks for helping me make up my mind... all of you have saved me money and time by steering me away from the wrong fork in the training road.

wmspdi:
Dues... nobody said anything about dues!!! OK, point taken! I will finish off the PADI specialties I have on the table and skip the "Pro" route. I don't believe I would have the time to teach, at least not on regular basis, and I don't care about the labels. Next time I need to replace a worn out C-card I may get the Master Scuba Diver rating. Once I have all 5 specialties it will cost about the same as a replacement C-card. Other than that I guess I will spend my planned training dollars just diving, or on tec/multi-gas training. Thanks for helping me make up my mind... all of you have saved me money and time by steering me away from the wrong fork in the training road.

the best choice is the one that works for YOU..get rescue and with the 5 specialities you can do the master diver route..good luck and have fun..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom