PADI Does Revoke Certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What was the issue with the class?

There were no classes to speak of. I never got any books or other study materials, no quizzes or knowledge reviews were done and I didn't even do the required number of dives and the dives I did do were in an overhead environment. I didn't even know she submitted my Deep Specialty until I received the card in the mail! The drysuit class I got because I bought the drysuit from her.

The drysuit class consisted of me doing one dive in a cavern. I was underweighted for the suit and had mild difficulty getting down. On the way up I didn't have enough weight to maintain the safety stop so I had a rapid ascent from 25 feet. Upon surfacing the instructor told me that she didn't think I would have enough weight to maintain the safety stop.

When I asked the instructor why I received the Deep Specialty she told me that she saw me safely conduct a cave dive from 90 feet and for her that satisfied the Deep requirements. Then she said I owed her $27.50 for the processing fee.

Essentially I received two worthless pieces of plastic in the mail. I certainly hope they do something with her instructor status because if she continues to instruct the way she does, someone is going to get hurt or killed.

Are you also required to poke holes in your dry suit?

It would be very foolish for you to send your cards back to PADI without full compensation for both your class costs and your time wasted in that training. I suspect it is a nice attempt, on their part, to cover their ass for any liability that may flow their way for THEIR inadequate instructor. Were there any other students in you classes?

I'm pretty sure that's it. They're most likely only concerned with their own liability and if you don't have the cards, it will be hell proving the OP actually took the class if he gets injured.

OTOH, doing the dives without the training is actually dangerous, so even with the cards, the OP should retake at least the "deep" class. It wouldn't hurt to re-do the drysuit class either, but any good DS diver should be able to go over that with him.

If it was a credit card, just call the CC company and demand a refund based on the instructor not delivering what was promised, then take the money and go somewhere else.

flots.

Sounds like the instructor is just looking to get certs under her belt. With this poor service, i hope that at the very least, the drysuit fits properly. Nothing worse than a poor fitting drysuit.

I doubt PADI is going to do anything against the instructor. Anyone can make any complaint against a shop or instructor, so I very highly doubt a single one is going to cause any action. I think your cards are the only thing being revoked, this instructor is probably off teaching resort courses in Cabo or some other place.

I know they are investigating her but that's about all I know. I do know that once the investigation is complete PADI will let me know but they won't tell me what actions were taken, if any.
There's a glaring inconsistency here....

1) You don't feel you learned enough to warrant the cert, but your instructor gave the cert to you because he/she did.
2) Because you reported your concern to PADI, they want your cards back, and will investigate.
3) However, once they complete the investigation, they will not tell you the outcome.

Think about this for a minute....

If they do not substantiate your allegation and decide there is not an issue and do not revoke the instructor's cert, then by default you got enough instruction, were properly evaluated by the instructor, and earned the certs in question - whether you think you did or not.

If they do substantiate the allegation and pull his cert, then in fact you may not have earned the cert and should send the card back to them.

So...unless you know the outcome of the investigation, you don't know if your certs should be revoked or not - and neither does PADI until the investigation is complete.

Consequently, I'd tell them they can have the cards back as soon as they complete the investigation, provided they demonstrate to you that they did in fact find the instructor is not competent, that his instructor cert has been revoked, and that your fees for the cert have been refunded. Otherwise, you'll have to assume that they did not find fault with the instructor and that your certs are still valid.

-----

All in all this is a fantastic disincentive for a student to contact PADI and question the quality of instruction they received.

----

I also fall in the category of having never taken a formal deep diving or dry suit class.

Sort of.

After a decade or so of deep diving and dry suit diving, I wanted to get my AN/DP cert and advance to trimix, and other technical diving certs. But it turns out that required an AOW cert and while I took AOW in college, I was not a card collector and opted not to pay PADI the cert fee to get the card. So the shop owner I worked for and dove with almost every weekend and I went out and did our normal weekend deep, drysuit dives - but that weekend called it a class and added a couple more specialties I no longer remember but had been doing for years (probably limited visibility and maybe navigation) and completed the SSI AOW cert.

Now the Friday before I was a very skilled "AOW" diver - far more than the average freshly minted AOW diver, and far more than I was when I completed the PADI AOW course in college with something like 25 lifetime dives. On the Monday after, the only thing that changed was that I had the card. Card does not equal skill, as there is a lot more to it than that.

In truth, all having a card means is that you have the card. At best it reflects that you received some training and demonstrated a minimal level of skill at a particular point in time. But it's never the same as having the skills or being a skilled diver.

Any C-card is something that is best regarded as a license to learn - that has applied to every card I ever got from my OW card to Full Cave to Trimix, to Cave DPV - none of those classes ever taught me everything I need to know, let alone everything there was to know, they just gave me enough to keep learning and growing.

Last edited:
Tracy,

I would not send the cards back until you get more information along with some sort of a refund from our friends at PADI.

Thanks for this information.

Dave.

As for the drysuit, unless you plan on renting a suit it (the card) has no value either. They do make dandy ice scrapers in a pinch and are not bad for jimmying a lock. And no magnetic stripe to mess up doing it.

+1 on the ice scraper.
Imho, that is the value of a lot of the certs that are offered. There is a long list of what i would stick my neck out and call money grab cards.

The best way to learn to dive a drysuit is to dive with others who are diving them. It is a long process to perfect using a drysuit so doing a dive or two with an instructor will only start you on your way.

Dont under estimate the ability to rent drysuit or fill nitrox tho. I know a GUE tech diver/fundie instrutor who ripped a drysuit seal, and no LDS was willing to rent him a drysuit because his GUE instructor card didn't say he was trained in drysuit. Rediculous, right?

As much as I agree the acutally training behind some of these cards are absolutely meaningless, they can actually be a very useful certificate when you need it.

---------- Post Merged at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:34 PM ----------

I know I may get flamed. If this is the case, why do you even complain? You got two cards for basically free. What was your intended purpose of this complain? If you think you don't qualify the cert, then simply don't use it. If you think the instructor mis-conducted and get her instuctor revoke revoked, then you are not being fair. You never sign up a class with her. She gave your a cert based on her observation on your ability. You may or may not agree her accessment. She may mis-judge, but it was definitely a good will. And you have no idea how she conduct a actual class.

Last edited:
Speaking of cards, did you pay the instructor via credit card? If so, dispute the charges - right away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Speaking of cards, did you pay the instructor via credit card? If so, dispute the charges - right away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Most credit card agreements give you 60 days from the time of the charge to dispute the charge.

BUT I have to say this one would be impossible to prove as:

1) the instructor delivered the product in terms of holding the classes, and
2) you received the certifications.

You'd be hard pressed to demonstrate that you did not get what you paid for based on a quality argument where the student says he was not good enough to get the cert when the instructor feels differently.

Most credit card agreements give you 60 days from the time of the charge to dispute the charge.

BUT I have to say this one would be impossible to prove as:

The letter from PADI asking for their cards back would probably be enough for the CC company.

flots.

Back
Top Bottom