PADI Does Revoke Certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still don't understand. Did your or did you NOT pay for Drysuit and Deep Specialty class? It seems to me you only pay for the fees for PADI to print the card.

If PADI revokes your certification then they should make good on something. I do see PADI's point that they were not paid for the classes. My money did go directly to the instructor who then screwed me. It's not a matter of whether or not I care about or even need the certifications it's a matter of personal honor. She did not "give" me these certifications because she felt I was qualified, it turns out she needed a quick buck and I was one of her patsies. I know there are many people out there who would rejoice at the fact that they received C-cards for basically having to do nothing but I'm not one of them. The piece of plastic means nothing to me, it's the heart and effort that went behind receiving the certification that matters, the sense of personal achievement in knowing that I earned it. I did not earn these certifications and this is why I reported this instructor.

So you did sign up for a official PADI drysuit and deep class, paid the instructor full fees (not just that $27.50), and you didn't think you receive proper training? If so, I am with you. You should talk to that instructor and demend the refund while keeping the card.

So you did sign up for a official PADI drysuit and deep class, paid the instructor full fees (not just that $27.50), and you didn't think you receive proper training? If so, I am with you. You should talk to that instructor and demend the refund while keeping the card.

There is no way to get my money back from the instructor. Unfortunately it was a lesson learned and as I stated in my first post, "choose your instructors wisely".

...... I never got any books or other study materials, no quizzes or knowledge reviews were done......

That's where that PADI accounting sounded an alarm. Those things aren't free, you get to buy your own set of each- can't even xerox the test forms.

Ok well this should answer everyone's question about compensation. This just in from PADI.

Dear Tracy,

I'm sorry but we are unable to provide you a refund or compensation for payments made to Ms. Treanor as she is not a PADI employee and your fees were paid directly to Ms. Treanor rather than to PADI.

In light of the circumstances however, if you decide to seek training from a different instructor for your Deep Diver and Dry Suit Diver specialty certifications, we would be pleased to waive the processing fees that are typically required to process these certifications. In order to accomplish this waiver it is important to have your new instructor contact me in advance of your training so that I may explain to your new instructor how this can be accomplished.

Best regards,

Tom Warnack
Consultant

This isn't quite a refund of the processing fee but I think it is almost as good. PADI doesn't want to lose the sale. It is like when you go to a store, buy something and return it for a refund. Some stores will give a full refund. Some stores will charge a restocking fee. Some stores will give you a store credit. PADI is giving you a "store credit" on the processing fee. If you don't want the Deep Diver and Dry Suit Diver specialty training, maybe you can work something out with PADI to apply the money to some other course processing fee.

If PADI revokes your certification then they should make good on something. I do see PADI's point that they were not paid for the classes. My money did go directly to the instructor who then screwed me. It's not a matter of whether or not I care about or even need the certifications it's a matter of personal honor. She did not "give" me these certifications because she felt I was qualified, it turns out she needed a quick buck and I was one of her patsies. I know there are many people out there who would rejoice at the fact that they received C-cards for basically having to do nothing but I'm not one of them. The piece of plastic means nothing to me, it's the heart and effort that went behind receiving the certification that matters, the sense of personal achievement in knowing that I earned it. I did not earn these certifications and this is why I reported this instructor.

This is something that has always irked me. PADI sets the standard and certifies that an Instructor is capable of providing the required training. After that the only money which is directly tied to any training you get is the processing fee. If the course requires books and/or videos, the instructor/shop purchases the materials from PADI then sells them to you. If the instructor charges you for a course but does not provide the required training materials, PADI does not see any of the money. The instructor just pockets the money and you get ripped off. If the instructor does not give you the appropriate training then PADI can only investigate the instructor to see if they are still qualified to give the training they proved they were capable of previously. One or two complaints could just be students who didn't pass and wanted the certification anyway. When I was getting my OW there was another student who really wasn't getting it. He was a complete disaster. They didn't give him his certification. Even after working one-on-one with an instructor he failed to do the required skills. He said he was going to complain to PADI and have the instructor's license revoked. He was an excellent instructor. As I learned more and more about diving I realized how good my first instructor was. The problem was that other student not the instructor. PADI did not do anything to my instructor. I'm sure that guy ranted about how horrible PADI was and they were all just a bunch of crooks.

In truth, I have seen a lot of bad instructors. A friend of my wife wanted to do a referral. My shop was too far for her boyfriend. The shop he decided on gave them classroom work, no books, no pool time then sent them to the Caribbean to finish their open water dives. The shop in the Caribbean total them they had been ripped off and needed the books and pool time. They refused to do just the open water dives and said they could pay for everything. They did the whole certification in the Caribbean. I total them to file a complaint with PADI but they never did. They just wanted to put it all behind them.

I am glad you filed a complaint. It won't get you all your money back but it might stop Ms. Treanor from doing this to someone else. The cards you received should have Ms. Treanor's PADI number on it. You can check her status at PADI Pro Chek. If you go to this page Consumer Alerts you will find links for expelled and suspended members. If Ms. Treanor is suspended or expelled it will appear on these lists. I cannot see PADI withholding this information from you but making it publicly available on their website. Even if they let you know they are done with their investigation, you can go to the website and see if she was suspended or expelled.

---------- Post Merged at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:40 AM ----------

That's where that PADI accounting sounded an alarm. Those things aren't free, you get to buy your own set of each- can't even xerox the test forms.

PADI has a hard time keeping track of who has materials or not. They don't require the instructor to buy the material directly from them for each student they have. For example, we had a contract instructor at my shop. He'd train students using our gear and facilities. We'd sell the student the materials, gear, etc. and the instructor would get paid for giving the training. He would also send in the application. PADI could probably figure it out and confirm we sold the books to the student but they don't.

Other scenarios I have seen... a large online retailer buys materials in bulk. They get a discount from PADI for buying bulk. They sell the material online. As an independent instructor, I might pay $80 for all the materials (just making a number up) but due to a bulk discount, the large retailer is SELLING it for $60. Rather than buy it from PADI, I'll buy it from the large retailer. PADI has no way to track this.

So receiving a PIC from an instructor but no request for materials isn't unusual. All the forms are in the books. The student is required to tear the page out of the book and submit it for their records. The shop/instructor is supposed to hold on to the forms. They submit the results but not the actual paperwork. This is because PADI doesn't want to store millions of forms. It also saves the instructor the money mailing the forms to PADI. They just submit the results electronically. PADI trusts the instructor has a copy of the students forms. Now if someone complains and says they never got the material, PADI will request the forms. When Ms. Treanor fails to produce the forms it will support TracyN's claim.

Goes to show: No good deed goes unpunished.

While I was reading this thread I realized that I could look up my own NAUI cert. My C-Card from 1980 is getting pretty brittle and starting to fall apart. The replacement cost for the card is $32.00 plus shipping plus an extra, unspecified amount if they have to go back to paper records. I only paid $125 for the entire 10 week course way back when... Back when all these specialty certs were started they were looked at as ways to milk divers. Now I see that they have been upgraded to milking machines.

---------- Post Merged at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:36 AM ----------

and they will not even guarantee a replacement C-card.

I do see PADIs point on this one. They've provided credit for the processing fees and are investigating the instructor. I think they've done due diligence. This whole situation sucks - big time. This instructor needs flogged. Yet I can't see PADI being fiscally responsible for every single instructor out there. I don't think any agency could be and remain solvent. Instructors complete their certification using a certain set of standards as defined by their respective agency. Regardless of how rigid that process is or isn't, there will always be one or two bad seeds out there - it's the law of averages. I'm not sure of the answer to this, but does every single OWI train AT PADI? If they did, I might think a bit differently but I don't believe they do - they train at PADI schools. And providing that individual meets the standards, they're an instructor. The agency may have indirect responsibility, but I just can't see how they have direct responsibility for the actions of any single individual. And when it comes down to an independent instructor, the only recourse is that instructor. They have no umbrella of an LDS or other company over them which could also be held responsible. I'm not sure that any agency would act differently in this case whether it be PADI, NAUI, SDI, SSI or one of the many others.

Another avenue you might wish to pursue is this instructor's insurance. PADI may or may not have that information on file but it would be worth asking. File a claim for negligence against the instructor with their insurance? And if they're from the US, she'll eventually be back. There's always small claims court, too.

As for returning the cards, return them or don't. But it sounds certain they'll strip the specialities from your PADI record. That may or may not matter to you in the future depending on what you're doing with your certifications.

Unfortunately, it is a tough lesson in learning what to look for in a good instructor and one that's obviously cost you a nice chunk of change. It's a good reminder to thoroughly investigate what a class entails and what you're expected to learn before you take the plunge. I think almost every PADI specialty, outside of enriched air, has at least two or more dives combined with the book work and lesson reviews.

Good luck - just a bad situation all the way around. I'm glad PADI is investigating this and hopeful they'll actually do something. Unfortunately, that may not be enough to prevent her from doing the same to someone else. Let's just hope that she doesn't hurt or kill anyone in the process. Sounds like she's well on her way to doing just that.

Dear PADI,

I am returning the certification cards as requested upon receipt of $350.00 for shipping and handling charges. I will add a copy of your payment to my quality assurance file.

why did you pay the 27.50 processing fee originally for the card?

did you feel at that time that you sufficiently completed the requirements of the course, and then found out later that you didn't?

why did you pay the 27.50 processing fee originally for the card?

did you feel at that time that you sufficiently completed the requirements of the course, and then found out later that you didn't?

She was in cave country. Cave divers are a close knit group. You don't screw anyone in cave country. Had I not paid I would have looked dishonest. For the most part Cave Divers are the most honest, friendly divers you will ever meet. Just don't screw a fellow diver because you never know who they know . This girl is really finding that out the hard way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom