PADI Does Revoke Certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I couldn't fit it in between Fish ID and Boat Diver. The latter really stressed me out. When it came to repeatedly falling overboard I just couldn't get the form right, and using ladders has never been one of my strengths.

next time just type "bump" in the reply box. The last couple posts were worthless and added no value what so ever to the thread. All you did was get the thread back to the top of the list. I guess I can't expect anything new or relevant to surface after the first 9 pages of replies...

next time just type "bump" in the reply box. The last couple posts were worthless and added no value what so ever to the thread. All you did was get the thread back to the top of the list. I guess I can't expect anything new or relevant to surface after the first 9 pages of replies...

What you have to do is read through all the different threads to see what kind of kicks different people are on. For example, in thread after thread lately, Chrpai is on a crusade to batter people into the belief that anyone who takes a scuba class is an idiot. It is better to learn on your own and become a scuba god the way he did--through trial and error.

I'm on no such crusade, I just saw someone make a claim that a 50 dive wonder with a master dive c-card was to be trusted more then divers who don't drink the kool aid.

BTW, I never said I never took any training. Just a month or so ago I spent the day in the pool with an instructor working on a variety of tune up items. I just didn't expect a speciality card or master diver card out of it. I just wanted to improve my diving.

Last edited:
I am close to your 50 dive wonder mark. I've trained with PADI. I've supported the hell out of my local dive shop and DRIS. The instructor I've been working with is awesome. So far I have taken PPB, Deep (and yes, it is a necessity for some trips) EANx, and planning to take Drysuit (why learn it the hard way when you can learn it right?), wreck and night as well as rescue. If all goes well, by the end of the month, I'll apply for my MD.

Do I think there's anything special about MD? Not really. Is shows that I have taken the time to learn what I am doing, but not that at necessarily know what I am doing. No matter how much experience at have, I'm sure i'll one day do something stupid (like a giant stride without a regulator in my mouth) I think the most important part is the training I have received and the great friends I have made, including my instructor. Why wouldnt I want him to teach me as much as possible?

What I have really learned is that theres a whole hell of a lot that I still need to learn. I plan to keep taking corses, possibly through TDI and do some extended bottom time on many of the great wrecks that an have seen and heard of, but thats for the future. I won't be doing this on my own, I'll be looking for a mentor, and keeping in mind there are lots of things I don't know that i don't know.

Kool aid, sure pass me some. I'm having an awesome time.

You might want to read this:

Precision Diving

BTW, if I lived that close to cave country, I wouldn't be taking PPB, Deep, Dry from a PADI instructor. I'd be heading down to Florida and taking a DIR-F class and a dry suit class. Also I'll be in Atlanta for a couple weeks. Mind getting together to show me some of your favorite local dive sites?

Good on you Slmason.72 . We all learn differently and if you have an instructor you like, GREAT! For the record, there is nothing wrong with paying for instruction.

My original cert was NAUI back in '95. My instructor was really good, and did six ocean dives with our class- not because he had to, but because he wanted us to learn "Zen Diving". That is, he wanted his students to be so comfortable in the cold Monterey waters that we would continue diving. That training stuck with me right up until I was in the water with a panic'd diver and realized I needed more training. The LDS with the most classes is a PADI shop, so I took advanced and rescue. I saw that wreck course which meant that I needed the "deep" class. Did I need the "Deep" cert? no way, I've been to the sport limits lots of times, but the class is a lark, it wasn't any more expensive than a weekend on a boat and I met some cool people.

I'm glad to hear the OP's message. PADI should revoke certifications if the person doesn't have the skills- they should also pull an instructors card if they can't get right. C-Cards are more valuable when the testing is thorough.

You might want to read this:

Precision Diving

A good read if not a bit rough around the edges. Common sense should prevail. One of the things the author mentions is "overweighted divers" and the issues this causes. As an instructor, why would he teach overweighting? If properly weighted, the most the recreational diver should be carrying above neutral bouyancy is to offset the gas on their back. For recreational divers this should never be more than about 10 lbs, and that with a high volume tank. Technical divers are generally carrying much more gas, 20-30 lbs or more. No one with any common sense would want that much excess air in a dry suit. Will I learn it the PADI way, then ask questions and figure out what's best for me? Damn straight.

What I don't get about the scuba community is the lack of respect for differing ideas. If its not done my way, it's wrong... Wait, there's an entire forum devoted to that idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom