PADI getting sued over Insurance Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The documents posted seem to support the allegation if you desire to find them.

Well, if Rick Lesser said it it must be true. Even though he was one of the attorney for the plaintiff whose case relied in large part on the assertion that PADI was adjusting claims, I would not expect Rick to be biased in his view of the evidence. So, because Rick said it, that would surely make it appear that PADI was adjusting claims.

I suppose the existence of companies such as General Adjustment Bureau ("GAB") (see general adjustment bureau - Bing) is just a part of some sort of scam to let companies like PADI circumvent the law.

Edited to add:

I must confess that I am not as virtuous as Rick. When I represent a client, I just cannot seem to find it in me to be nearly so neutral and objective in my view of the evidence when explaining the case to the public.

I realize that doing so is stupid of me. If I make a case out to be great and then lose, I sure look like a fool. However, if I make the case out to be a tough one and I win, everyone thinks I'm great... and if I lose, well, I'm expected to lose because it is a tough case.

But, I just can't help myself. Oh that I could be more virtuous.

I don't think I would buy insurance under the PADI program either. Especially if, as I'm told, competing programs have better coverages and are less expensive. OTOH, given what I've seen of insurance companies over the course of both defending them and, now, suing them, no matter how inept you think they are, they will still surprise you.

Is professional liability insurance still required for PADI teaching status in the USA?

Yes, as it is for any agency.
Is professional liability insurance still required for PADI teaching status in the USA?

You gotta wonder why.
What's to wonder? We live in an incredibly litigious society where punitive damages are so outrageous that people often hurt themselves or pretend to be injured in order to generate a windfall decision in their favor. We could come up with a myriad of reasons why this is so, but let's keep this thread on its original topic.

Why there is a requirement to buy liability insurance is on topic.

What's to wonder? We live in an incredibly litigious society where punitive damages are so outrageous that people often hurt themselves or pretend to be injured in order to generate a windfall decision in their favor. We could come up with a myriad of reasons why this is so, but let's keep this thread on its original topic.

In most states you can't insure for punitive damages. Professional liability insurance is required because otherwise fly-by-night players would cause harms (ie, kill people) they can't afford to cover.

I understand you're upset about the defamation suit you're defending but, honestly, having practiced in that area, this has gone on longer than just about any defamation suit I'm aware of. I cannot understand for the life of me why this is.

Anyway, lashing out at "the system" or "our society" doesn't make a lot of sense.

In most states you can't insure for punitive damages. Professional liability insurance is required because otherwise fly-by-night players would cause harms (ie, kill people) they can't afford to cover.
We are very caveat emptor about everything else, quality, safety, content, competence, yet someone (e.g., the agency) demands that we buy insurance. I just don't get it? There must be a reason and, somehow, protecting the public just doesn't ring true.

I've been without internet access, but my comments are as follows:

1.The most important aspect of liability insurance is that it covers the cost of the defense of a lawsuit. This is often as much as or more than the liability itself. It is particularly important if there ultimately is no liability. Who wants to pay a lawyer tens of thousands of dollars for proving they did nothing wrong?

2. Liability insurance does not indemnify one for punitive damages. However, the threat of punitive damages may drive a settlement.

3. Everyone up the "food chain" wants to protect themselves, so they require insurance for those below them. General contractors require subs to have insurance. There are many other examples. PADI, which will get sued whenever a DM or instructor gets sued, wants to protect itself, to the extent possible, so it requires DMs and instructors, etc. to have insurance. It puts a layer of protection between the professional and the organization.

Please recall, there is no law (in the US) that requires some magic certification to enable someone to teach someone else how to dive. However, to get air fills, one must show the shop a c-card. To get a c-card, one needs to use the services of a pro who can tell the agency to issue a c-card. The agency, which may be responsible for issuing the c-card has the right to know that the pro is qualified to say to issue a c-card and to know that if the pro erred in doing so, he or she can answer for the liability.

... Which all goes to show that PADI had very little incentive to sell pros bad liability insurance.

Back
Top Bottom