PADI Master Diver Rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It means that it slurps a certain member of the male anatomy. It was my rather polite way of indicating that I (and numerous others) feel that the PADI MSD card is spurious. Why else would it come with a bag and a certificate to make you feel better?

That's a very insightful and educated comment. I'm 55 and have been diving since I was 16, you're 29 and have been diving a few years. I try to be moderately tactful and considerate in these discussions whereas you are are a brash ass. ScubaBoard is certainly not always a friendly place to discuss diving issues. This thread is seems pretty dead.

Good diving, Craig

That's a very insightful and educated comment. I'm 55 and have been diving since I was 16, you're 29 and have been diving a few years. I try to be moderately tactful and considerate in these discussions whereas you are are a brash ass. ScubaBoard is certainly not always a friendly place to discuss diving issues. This thread is seems pretty dead.

Good diving, Craig
Well Craig, I'm 59 and have been diving since I was 6, what is that supposed to prove? The tread's "dead" only because you have failed to make any sort of a case what-so-ever.

Good diving, Craig

Ah, well sticks and stones and all that. For the record, trying to assassinate my character by citing my age and longevity vis-a-vis yours instead of recognizing my intellect, education, and unique experiences is not exactly "moderately tactful and considerate". Then there's the fact that you called me a "brash ass". Did you learn that working in a coal mine or a steel mill? Oh my, your profile says you are a physician. It seems that you are making some insightful and educated comments yourself...Doctor.

So....any reason why the PADI MSD card is better than the NAUI MSD course? That was the point to which we were referring, was it not?

Ah, well sticks and stones and all that. For the record, trying to assassinate my character by citing my age and longevity vis-a-vis yours instead of recognizing my intellect, education, and unique experiences is not exactly "moderately tactful and considerate". Then there's the fact that you called me a "brash ass". Did you learn that working in a coal mine or a steel mill? Oh my, your profile says you are a physician. It seems that you are making some insightful and educated comments yourself...Doctor.
You are a brash ass. To be your age and not be a brash ass is to be rather a limp err ... Your choice is, for me, the correct one.

You do know that a minority of physicians have to appear to know everything, even outside of their specialty ... it's the only way that they can try and compensate for the fact that they're not real Doctors.:D

Last edited:
I suppose it could be worse, as I could be bumptious. After all this mucking about nobody leaps to the defense of the PADI MSD card? What I was really looking for was a valid reason why it was a worthwhile endeavor. Apparently even the people who possess this kitschy status symbol from on high cannot elucidate this for me.

Your prolix compatriot,

The Brash Ass.

I guess it's not so much that people aren't jumping in to defend the PADI MSD, but staying out of the bit of head-butting in the previous few posts...

Anyway, like it's been mentioned, this has been something that's been flogged to death on many threads. I got my MSD card for free, but I worked hard and invested time, effort and money in it, so I'm pleased with myself for it, and it's like a Pat on the back.

I do agree that as with most things in life, there are shortcuts or easy ways to achieving the PADI MSD, but again, it's what the individual decides to put into it. Is the rating absolute rubbish as compared to the NAUI Master Diver Program?

Well, I've seen divers take their GUE fundies, passed and reverted back to their old habits and traits. Same issue with Dive Masters or instructors who strut around thinking they're the dogs bollocks while diving to 38m on 32% Nitrox when they spot something.

(sigh) ... seems like we have this same conversation every few months.

Who cares, really ... maybe the card means nothing. But if it motivated someone to get more education, put in more dives, and turn themselves into a better diver, then it's worth it to them. Hey, it's their money. There's lots worse things they can be spending it on.

I've collected a bunch of C-cards since I started diving ... probably a few more than a lot of folks who've been diving decades longer than me. Some took a lot more effort than others ... but with the exception of two or three I take on trips with me, I toss 'em in a drawer and never look at 'em again. But that's me. For some, a C-card is a sign of accomplishment. OK, so they haven't been diving since the '60's ... when dive training was hard. So they haven't done 2,000+ dives. They haven't dived the Doria ... or maybe not even that sunken fishing boat in the local lake or dive park. So the hell what? Most of us dive for entertainment. The goal is to be safe, and to acquire a reasonable amount of skill so that you can protect both yourself and the environment you dive in. If the PADI MSD card motivates someone to do that much, kudos to them. They have my respect for trying to make themselves a better diver.

These conversations always boil down to the same half-dozen or so old-timers dropping trou' and grabbing a ruler.

Guys ... you made your point about six or seven years ago. The rest of us ain't worthy ... never will be. We get it. Declare yourselves the winner and pull your pants back up ... old butts just ain't that much fun to look at ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The OP asked:
I see info all of the time for Dive Master, but haven't found anything for a class on the Master Diver rating. For awhile I had been thinking about completing the requirements for Master Diver and then go the Dive Master route later if I wanted to pursue it. But, then I started thinking, is there really a reason to spend the extra money just to say you're a "Master Diver"?

My questions are:

#1. Is there an actual Master Diver course, or simly meet the requirements and send in your money for a new C-Card?

#2. Is it worth spending the money to get the Master Diver rating?

I'm all for learning new skills, but I don't believe I'd want to spend money just to say I'm a "Master Diver" if it doesn't come with some good knowledge attached with the training.

Thanks,

Phillip
and people answered. The most experienced Instructors on the board were virtually unanimous in their answer:

1. No.
2. No.

I think, if you go back and read the thread carefully, you will find that the strutting, posturing and crowing was performed by some of the participants who were attempting to argue that the PADI MSD is of some definable value.

I normally defend the PADI MSD card on the basis of freedom of choice (they are selling - if you don't want to buy, don't buy...).

But to be honest, I just get tired of the same old debate.

I think the MSD is nothing but a marketing tool that parts foolish people from their money, but I must admit that I'm rather tired of the topic also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom