PADI Nitrox Course Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KWS -- did you really think I was serious? The "30 second nitrox course" is designed to set people at ease AND to show them there really is no mystery about using a blended gas. The "real" class does take about 6 hours (sorry Thal, sometimes things just take time)...
This is the whole class (as I recall) but it REALLY DOES take only 30 seconds to learn how to safely use nitrox!
If it takes 6 hours, I got to wonder what these students got (and retained) from their OW course. Sure, when things like basic gas management, MOD and oxygen calculations have been eliminated from the OW curriculum, it can take more than 10 minutes. What I am suggesting is that about ten more minute in an OW course is all that is really needed to cover the learning objectives of a quality nitrox course.

i had a student show up for a rebreather class who claimed to have an "advanced nitrox" cert. Upon closer scrutiny he had a PADI nitrox card he obtained during his PADI AOW class. The dumbing down going on in this industry is frightening.

Wow Peter, seems like a great class but so far beyond any Nitrox training I have seen. More a class on dive planning.

I guess you must dress these up as a certification class to make it worthwhile. I agree with Thal, the guts behind a nitrox class are almost non existent, but the agencies sure make a pretty penny off of them. When I did mine we had to dive, how funny is that? But at least we were forced to properly log our dives and review them with an instructor.

Ron -- your post is so sad to me.

Except for the Air Supply Management (which I throw into every class I can), nothing I do in my class isn't in the PADI syllabus. The requirements state the student is to create a dive plan for the simulated dive -- so I have them do a dive plan and how can you do a dive plan that doesn't include gas planning? The video I show of the fill station substitutes for the tour of a fill station a student should get (optional but recommended).

BTW, if I couldn't add value to the class as an instructor, why should I even be there?

Our nitrox class includes sections on the definition of nitrox, history of it, review of basic diving physics, review of gas laws, advantages and concerns, review of oxygen toxicity, nitrox dive planning that includes O2 exposure calculations, MOD's, best mix for the dives, and EAD's. We cover switching mixes between dives, blending methods, and an explanation of what O2 cleaning is and when it is called for and on what gear. Something that seems to be missing in some courses based on questions that pop up here on the board from new divers needing to know if their BC needs to be O2 clean. We also have the analysis and SEI still requires two dives using nitrox that are supposed to be planned from beginning to end using what was just learned.

Ie say a dive using nitrox to 115 ft on a wreck that sits in 125 feet of water. We know 32 is out since the MOD is 111 for that. So what is the best mix for this dive? How long do we plan on being down? How many dives that day are planned using nitrox and will we use the same mix for subsequent dives or switch because they will be shallower? What is our own acceptable PPO2 for the bottom? 1.4, 1.3, or maybe 1.2? Where we are partial pressure blending is pretty much a given and the shops will mix custom blends. One training lake is 125- 130 feet deep, I never use anything richer than 28% there as I might want to do the bottom. Where do we want to be on our CNS clock? All of this is part of the plan as well as the standard dive planning that we would do if using air.

We also include mandatory decompression times on 32 and 36 mixes just as we do with air in the OW class.

The deco tables are a bit liberal for me but that is just because I have my own more conservative personal limits due to my age, overall physical condition, and peace of mind from my helitrox training but it is still under 1.6. I prefer a max of 1.5 for deco and 1.3 for the working portion and I explain why to my students.

In addition I reiterate safe diving practices, buddy skills, and rescue of a toxing diver.

Just to be clear, there was nothing wrong with the instructor. It's the lame book (and faulty computer dive simulator program) that do PADI a disservice.
In my humble opinion, I believe that the OP did not "overthink" question #7, but simply did not read it properly. If there are any complaints with the outcome of the course then it sounds to me like an instructor issue as the knowledge portion is only part of the course. The knowledge portion lays a minimum foundation for the instructor work from.

I'm sorry, but I'm really not trying to justify my 'wrong' answer: I get things wrong everyday, never have a problem admitting and fixing them. I do get pissed though when professional (that's the 'P' in PADI, right?) can't be bothered to proof read their materials correctly. And there's still the issue of the faulty Nitrox (I like capital 'N') simulator software: Try it yourself - set the Nitrox mix to 21% 02 and watch the ridiculous divergerence from the comparable air computer...plain shoddy. For $20, I'd shrug and say "OK...what did I expect for $20' But at $180 I expect a class act...

......and faulty computer dive simulator program....
time to use something better?

divepal_nitrox4.jpg

If you go to a popular diving spot and randomly ask 10 different people why they dive you will get 10 different answers. Recreational dive course material needs to ensure that it provides a baseline that meets those 10 divers requirements. My then-girlfriend and I did our PADI EANx course just before the table-based material was phased out. She just wanted a C-Card so she could dive EANx mixes on a Red Sea liveaboard, while I, being of a more geekish bent, wanted a little more. Most of the information I required was actually in the course material (although not necessarily included in the KRs) and I used the opportunity the course presented to ask the instructor for the other stuff. I chose a instructor who would be able to provide me with that additional information. The basic PADI course, combined with a decent instructor, met both our requirements. Neither of died on the Red Sea trip, where we dived exclusively on recreational EANX mixes.
I also know plenty of old-timers who bemoan the disappearance of table-based planning in coursework and the like, but I do not know any recreational divers who plan air or nitrox dives on tables. So it kinda makes sense that these are no longer included in coursework.
It is something I often see on these forums and it is something that has been said ad nauseum in the real world - it's the instructor and not the agency. Choose the former correctly and the latter can be managed.
It is unacceptable for any agency to provide inaccurate simulator software with their course material

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom