PADI Rescue Diver CPR Requirement Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People's experiences can still be helpful, or at least interesting (it _is_ a discussion board.)

And I think sometimes it doesn't matter what PADI says, it seems to be up to the shops or instructors discretion, at least that has been my experience in the past. I think the best bet is asking them.

People's experiences can still be helpful, or at least interesting (it _is_ a discussion board.)

And I think sometimes it doesn't matter what PADI says, it seems to be up to the shops or instructors discretion, at least that has been my experience in the past. I think the best bet is asking them.
Exactly. PADI will not physically check the CPR/First Aid cards, earned outside of EFR or not, when a Rescue Diver certification is sent in. That is up the certifying instructor. PADI is, however, there to help the instructor determine if a card is or is not applicable when it is not readily apparent.
So yes, it is good to know what the actual standard is, so that if you hit a speed bump with an instructor that is misunderstanding or misapplying a standard, you know how to resolve the issue intelligently. There isn't much that is written as "up to the instructor's discretion", but that does (and should) come into play, to some extent. If you show me a qualifying CPR/FA card, but during the course work it is obvious that you did not develop any of the skills for that card, I should not certify you until I am satisfied you have acquired them.

If I

I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

It is not up to the instructor's discretion to chose which PADI standards to uphold and which to not. If your instructor chooses to accept a CPR course that does not meet PADI's standards then your instructor is violating standards and essentially dragging the standard of the Rescue Diver certification down by doing so. If you verify with PADI that the CPR course you have taken or want to take meets their criteria and your instructor does not accept it then you can have PADI intervene on your behalf with the instructor or you should find a different instructor, its that simple.

-Z

Exactly. PADI will not physically check the CPR/First Aid cards, earned outside of EFR or not, when a Rescue Diver certification is sent in. That is up the certifying instructor. PADI is, however, there to help the instructor determine if a card is or is not applicable when it is not readily apparent.
So yes, it is good to know what the actual standard is, so that if you hit a speed bump with an instructor that is misunderstanding or misapplying a standard, you know how to resolve the issue intelligently. There isn't much that is written as "up to the instructor's discretion", but that does (and should) come into play, to some extent. If you show me a qualifying CPR/FA card, but during the course work it is obvious that you did not develop any of the skills for that card, I should not certify you until I am satisfied you have acquired them.

If an instructor does not accept a certain CPR course because they do not think it meets the standard, the correct thing is not to show them what a bunch of internet personalities think; the correct thing is to ask to have PADI weigh in on the matter.

If one gets clarification in their favor, then certainly post about it and discuss it, but asking if a particular course or agency meets PADI standards on this board is not going to result in a definitive response....only PADI can provide that since it is their standards.

-Z

It doesn't matter what you post here about this or what you copy and paste to PADI. It is what PADI has to say directly about any individual's situation that matters. I can post all day long about what PADI told me, but if you follow that advice, and PADI does not accept it then what? The onus is on the individual to get the correct information from the source, PADI does not make it difficult to get that info, you just have to reach out and contact them....

...or you can waist your time rationalizing your decision to ask/post here to justify doing so. But hey, if you believe that gets you closer to the correct answer, who am I to judge?

While your advice is sound, if you're really a DM candidate you might want to work on your delivery... specifically the condescending tone.

I'm not talking about PADI standards in general, but specifically what is accepted for the first aid/CPR requirement. My specific experience is of an active EMT friend who had plenty of current courses and certifications that more than met the requirements, but the shop insisted she take their course. In this particular case, it was a clear money grab (by a shop that is now out of business.) And yes, perhaps PADI could intervene, but if I ran into that situation and had other options, my choice would probably be (as hers was) to use a different shop that was not a PITA. Which is why I say, may as well ask the shop.

Damsel, no need to justify your advice. Zef is arguing with you just for the sake of arguing. The rest of us agree with you... asking the people at the shop is a useful thing. And we agree with Zef: asking PADI is also a useful thing. And discussing the topic here is also a useful thing.

So... thank you, to both of you.

While your advice is sound, if you're really a DM candidate you might want to work on your delivery... specifically the condescending tone.

I make no apology for facts getting in the way of someone's feelings, particularly when it comes to standards and safety. I did not become a divemaster to work with and satisfy the masses, I did it to satisfy me. As diver, whether a divemaster or not, one still has the choice over with whom they will enter the water...one might not want to get in the water with me because I am sarcastic and condescending, but I may not want to get in the water with someone else because they can't think logically and apply sound judgement. The ax swings both ways.

-Z

I make no apology for facts getting in the way of someone's feelings, particularly when it comes to standards and safety. I did not become a divemaster to work with and satisfy the masses, I did it to satisfy me. As diver, whether a divemaster or not, one still has the choice over with whom they will enter the water...one might not want to get in the water with me because I am sarcastic and condescending, but I may not want to get in the water with someone else because they can't think logically and apply sound judgement. The ax swings both ways.

-Z

Fair enough. But since you're an ardent fan of PADI standards, it's worth noting that PADI has standards of conduct for their members. I'm assuming that your DM is with PADI.

While Zef isn't wrong, he is pulling a "letter of the law" approach to it. I never dealt with PADI EFR standards because I've always had an EMT license,and when I took Rescue, my classmates had EMR or at least AHA/Red Cross BLS (CPR/AED/First Aid/O2 combo). I remember seeing the EFR requirements and being in disbelief they could call it a CPR First Aid course, since it was possible to be certified with ZERO actual hands-on training.

I don't know who's who when it comes to EMS certifications in the UK. If you have had training that was hands-on, it will likely exceed PADI standards. Check with your instructor or LDS, if they aren't sure then it should be as simple as them sending a copy of your cert to PADI for a finally say. In the event it isn't acceptable, I would still recommend taking a legitimate CPR/First Aid or BLS course instead of PADI's EFR. It will teach you more and the cert will be useful outside the diving world - and expenses may even be covered by your workplace, depending on what you do.

Back
Top Bottom