PADI TecRec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flw once bubbled...
It's a direct reference to the original paper, written by someone obscure when they demonstrated that isobaric counterdiffusion could occur, by making cute fluffy white bunnies breathe a nitrous oxide/O2 mixture whilst surrounding them in a helium based atmosphere - eventually, after around 1500 minutes, they got skin bends in their ears. [/B]

I am still having a hard time with this idea of breathing a NITROUS OXIDE mix. I have no idea why someone would want to do this, even if you have something against bunnies!! Was this at one atm?

It certainly has little, if anything, to do with diving. You could, I suppose, PUT nitrous oxide in your tank, but, talk about "gettin' down to get high"!!! Ay, la Chihuaua!!!:wacko:

Could someone post a link to this article, or information on how to find it, please?:confused:

I did a search on medline this afternoon - it was done by Cowley, Allegra and Lambertsen in about July 1979, in an American physiology Journal - if you let me have a valid email address, I think I can email you at least an abstract directly - but I've not got the passwords at home to get access, so it'll be tomorrow

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

I am still having a hard time with this idea of breathing a NITROUS OXIDE mix. I have no idea why someone would want to do this, even if you have something against bunnies!! Was this at one atm?

It certainly has little, if anything, to do with diving. You could, I suppose, PUT nitrous oxide in your tank, but, talk about "gettin' down to get high"!!! Ay, la Chihuaua!!!:wacko:

Could someone post a link to this article, or information on how to find it, please?:confused:

HE WASNT TRYING TO SAY PEOPLE DIVE ON NITROUS OXIDE.
He was simply explaining that in the study he was referring to, a gas that was 20times more readily absorbed than ANY diving gas (helium, oxygen, nitrogen) that it took 1500 minutes before it was considered unsafe to switch to another gas. (this is not his exact words, this is the gist of his statement) Since nobody would ever dive 1500 minutes before switching mixes, it was a completely irrelevant statement for padi to be teaching.
I know nothing about deco diving or tri-mix and but I do understand what MHK was trying to say.

Actually, reference to my first post, MHK DID mean to say "nitrous oxide" and I stand corrected there!

As for my second post, it was just a little attempt at humor. I realize that MHK was not saying that people should dive on nitrous oxide! So no need to get your knickers in a twist on his behalf, gbrandon!=-)

P.S.---Thanks to one of our mixed-gas CCR divers in the North Sea, I now have a copy of that particular study! "Muchase Garcias, flw!" as we say down here in Tejas!!!:bounce:

P.P.S.---The rest of my first post still stands as presented!

I often dive with nitrous oxide, I dont get very far, But I have a lot of fun.

Waterlover:
PADI Instructors interested in a never been used TecRec instructor package PM me, I'll make you a good deal. I have no use for it.
Thanks
did you ever sell it?

i dive deep O2, I hear PADI is coming out with a deep O2 course to promote seize divin, i will be the first one to get on that one, plus it's only a 4000$ course-- minimum requirements are underwater naturalist specialty course, along with underwater hunter specialty.

I think the course is excellent, It is the modern day version of technical dive intruction, as far as acedemics and dive planning go. also the in water stuff is very thorough, and much better than some of the other courses. It is definetly a good way to go. It is the equivelent to being a Technical diver with IANTD. I have taught several courses and really like the results.

divereh

The quality of the education materials is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom