padi vs naui dive master certs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also a PADI IDC staff instructor can teach and certify a PADI AI. The certified AI gets a break in cost and time when attending the IDC because that included course work has already been mastered.

GQMedic once bubbled...
Well, there's a quick way to resolve this...

Take a NAUI DM C-card, and a PADI DM C-card, smack 'em around and sitck them in a shoe box and let them fight to the death. The C-card that lives through it, wins!

LOL excellent soloution.. however we all realize that the NAUI card would win because they have been through more in the "old gritty saltdog" wallet than the Yuppie Padi Wallet.. They are tough by experience.

Dale

p.s that was just a joke I am not bashing either agency

Neil,

You said, "The shop I worked at wanted to be affiliated with PADI for various reasons, so I had to do a crossover course to PADI."

In the mid '80's I worked at a shop that decided to become a PADI 5 star facility. As I'm sure you are aware, that means only PADI courses can be offered (unless PADI doesn't offer that class) so all instructors had to be PADI certified. These good people told me they would pay for me to attend the PADI crossover. My choice was teach a PADI class or leave the shop. I left. Today, PADI would fit me even more poorly than it did then.

Walter once bubbled...
Neil,
I left.

Believe me, I admire adherence to principles. However, at the time I crossed over, you would have been hard pressed to discern any substantive differences between my NAUI and PADI courses. The situation has got worse as I have been teaching for other local PADI shops, and experienced the certification mill, and the reduced class time. My solution is not to reject PADI courses altogether, but to only teach the ones where adequate time is offered, and freedom to teach my way is appreciated.

Neil

PADI does not require the AI course cert, prior to becoming an instructor...altho it is included in the general instructor course - no extra charge. Guess its so if someone does not meet the standards for instructor, or does not want to proceed to instructor, they may become cert as AI.

These are very misleading, and incorrect statements.

Unless you are already an AI or an Instructor through another Agency, you MUST take the AI portion of the IDC before you get to the Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) portion.

IOW, there is no "skipping" AI. I know some people who completed their IDC but did not go directly to the Instructor Examination (IE), but rather opted for their AI designation and spent some time at that level before going to the IE. Within the PADI Pro system, that is entirely acceptable.

I would like to point out that the Standards are the same for all dive professionals in PADI. To infer that they are less for AIs vs. Instructors is inflammatory and spurious.

FYI, am I am an PADI IDC Staff Instructor married to a PADI Course Director.

~SubMariner~

myself as anything Debcov. I answered the question asked and was correct in what I said. I certainly wasn't trying to answer every possible scenario and am frankly puzzled as to how you could have been offended by what I said that made you want to check me out. Did you feel the need to put me in my place?
As to why the AI is included in the IDC, you're guess is as good as mine. Sub is right when he states that anyone can take the option of not being an instructor and they are within their rights to just do the AI course.
gmuguy, I hope you have gotten the answers you were looking for.

:eek:ut:

The Gasman

To become a NAUI Instructor you can do this without becoming a NAUI DM or AI. The path to be an instructor with NAUI is easier and highly recommended if you certify as an AI or DM. In NAUI, AI and DM have similar the same water skill requirments. The difference is the DM has up to ten dives to perform Dive Mastering skills where an AI is just that, Assistant Instructor and 2-4 dives is all that is required. DM is a leadership position in NAUI but a non-voting memeber. You receive all the discounts from NAUI including Insurance. You can qualify to attend an ITC directly with DM or AI certification

If you are AOW with Advance Scuba Rescue you can become a NAUI instructor without directly qualifing as an AI or DM. Take an Instructor prep course course first then pass the Master Diver (not require if you are a Master Diver) examine to qualify to start an Instructor Training Course (ITC). The water skills required for DM or AI are still the same if this path is chosen.

With AI, DM or Instructor a minimum number of logged dives are required depending on which path you take.

I would go with NAUI because the training will be legitimate and thorough. (Usually) I have a very low opinion of PADI based on the quality of students and leadership personel they turn out locally. This is probably not the case everywhere though.

Make sure that you really want to be an Insturctor/DM before making this commitment. A lot of people soon find out that they really do not like being in such a position.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
I would go with NAUI because the training will be legitimate and thorough. (Usually) I have a very low opinion of PADI based on the quality of students and leadership personel they turn out locally. This is probably not the case everywhere though.

Make sure that you really want to be an Insturctor/DM before making this commitment. A lot of people soon find out that they really do not like being in such a position.

E-Zombie,
Thanks for the post...looking forward to some of the reactive comments. :mean:

Go with whatever your preferred LDS teaches. If you have a choice I personally prefer NAUI. I have seen some excellent instructors and dm's from all agencies but the rigidity of the PADI program just isn't for me. A big plus is the insurance, check out the rates for both before committing. That might help you choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom