PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True, but which skills are taught is dependent on agency affiliation. That is critical.

I am admittedly not up to date with any standards besides PADI. Not doubting that there are differences, but just curious: Would you be able to give an example of a skill or skills that NAUI teaches that PADI does not?

Some of the differences may be trivial. For example I know PADI teaches the fin pivot before going into hovering, but NAUI does not. In the end they both teach neutral buoyancy.

I am admittedly not up to date with any standards besides PADI. Not doubting that there are differences, but just curious: Would you be able to give an example of a skill or skills that NAUI teaches that PADI does not?

Some of the differences may be trivial. For example I know PADI teaches the fin pivot before going into hovering, but NAUI does not. In the end they both teach neutral buoyancy.
Ah ... but there's a difference. You will pass a PADI course with what, a 30 second hover? You call that neutral buoyancy? But you cannot, by standards, require more. We require an entire pool session in which the student does not touch the bottom, while that not a "standard" NAUI skill, we are permitted to use that as a criterion.

Ah ... but there's a difference. You will pass a PADI course with what, a 30 second hover? You call that neutral buoyancy? But you cannot, by standards, require more. We require an entire pool session in which the student does not touch the bottom, while that not a "standard" NAUI skill, we are permitted to use that as a criterion.

Well, that wasn't the question really. Walter didn't state that the skills are taught differently. He is stating that the skills that are taught are different. So, I am trying to figure out which ones.

And in actuality, here is the hovering requirement for PADI in OW dive 4 "Using buoyancy control only, hover without kicking or sculling for at least 30 seconds." You'll note the "at least" part. Also, the instructor has the option in OW dives 2, and 3 for the students to achieve neutral buoyancy by "fin pivot or hover". So, there are potentially 4 hover exercises, including the hover in the pool. Also, each OW dive has an underwater exploration segment. This gives the students even more time to practice their buoyancy control.

But am I correct in my conclusion that you may not make staying off the bottom for an entire pool session a criterion for certification?

We require an entire pool session in which the student does not touch the bottom, while that not a "standard" NAUI skill, we are permitted to use that as a criterion.

So when you say "we" require and "we" are permitted, do you mean "you" as an individual instructor is permitted to require that from your students? Or could one NAUI instructor require his students to stay off the bottom for like 10 minutes while you, on the other hand, may require your students to do it for the entire session.

In other words, does NAUI have a minimum time for a hover (like PADI has 30 seconds) that a student must accomplish or does NAUI state a student must be able to do this and then leave it up to the individual instructor to determine what they feel that time should be?

cflJason:

I'll be happy to. NAUI requires bringing a simulated unconscious victim from the bottom, PADI teaches no such skill until the Rescue course. There are others as well, but you get the point.

cflJason:

Some are trivial, but some aren't. I'm honestly not a big fan of either of them, their standards are too low for my taste. NAUI's big advantages, in my opinion, are: 1. slightly higher standards as a base, 2. flexibility and 3. most importantly, they encourage instructors to add requirements.

BDSC:
does NAUI have a minimum time for a hover (like PADI has 30 seconds) that a student must accomplish or does NAUI state a student must be able to do this and then leave it up to the individual instructor to determine what they feel that time should be?

NAUI standards do not have a specified time.

I'll be happy to. NAUI requires bringing a simulated unconscious victim from the bottom, PADI teaches no such skill until the Rescue course. There are others as well, but you get the point.

Some are trivial, but some aren't. I'm honestly not a big fan of either of them, their standards are too low for my taste. NAUI's big advantages, in my opinion, are: 1. slightly higher standards as a base, 2. flexibility and 3. most importantly, they encourage instructors to add requirements.

NAUI standards do not have a specified time.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if NAUI doesn't have a specified time, then in theory at least, an instructor (I'd personally be surprised if any instructor really did this) could require a 5 second hover as the requirement, making it way lower than PADI's 30 second required minimum? That would still be within the NAUI standard if there is no minimum time limit, wouldn't it?
If you took all of NAUI's standards, without instructor options (ie: the absolute bare minimum needed to get certified according to written standards without adding one thing more and no instructor options) then how close would they be?
One difference I have personally observed is that PADI requires 4 - 10 question quizzes and a 50 question final exam, where as NAUI only requires a 100 question open exam, but it can be a take home open book exam. All of PADI's are required to be closed book.
I'm not sure about the new stroke cycle swim evaluation. How many yards does it equal in reality? Is the 50' underwater swim and 10 second float/tread water requirement still there?

[/B]One difference I have personally observed is that PADI requires 4 - 10 question quizzes and a 50 question final exam, where as NAUI only requires a 100 question open exam, but it can be a take home open book exam. All of PADI's are required to be closed book.

Interesting. It's been a long time since I have taken the exam so I didn't remember but from a lot of posts on this thread, some folks may think it's just the opposite.

So when you say "we" require and "we" are permitted, do you mean "you" as an individual instructor is permitted to require that from your students? Or could one NAUI instructor require his students to stay off the bottom for like 10 minutes while you, on the other hand, may require your students to do it for the entire session.

In other words, does NAUI have a minimum time for a hover (like PADI has 30 seconds) that a student must accomplish or does NAUI state a student must be able to do this and then leave it up to the individual instructor to determine what they feel that time should be?

if I may chime in with my 2 cents....I'm a little NAUI and a little PADI and I do think they are 2 different schools of thought. But despite what my reps think, I think we can align the 2 here.

I don't think that either NAUI or PADI has anything against going above and beyond minimum standards as a cya or to sculpt divers. You do what you have time for and what you're students can handle.

Sure, there is an ever diminishing set of standards, but the one ultimate cert decision for the 2 agencies has not changed. NAUI: ever so famous for would i allow this person to dive with a loved one? And PADI: if an instructor approached any PADI rep with I don't think this is safe or why don't we do this...the rep would say, do what you think is necessary. You're the instructor. Because in PADI the qualification for certification ultimate rests with the instructor and not some slate with checkmarks.

In caymans aboard a skiff, I dove with 2 lovely ladies who showed so much grace in the water, but when the time came to get out, they refused to take off their units. They couldn't swim! Now, this was before NAUI revised their swim standard, so I have no clue how someone let this slip through the cracks, but it did. Could they dive? Yes. Should someone have certified students that couldn't swim even though they were good divers? Another famous NAUI philosphy, just because someone can...doesn't mean we shouldn't question if they should.

So, if a PADI student completes all the minimum standards, but still seems uneasy or nervous - we'd say great, but come hang out with us a little more before we let you off on your own.

I'm all for taking the bureaucratics out of diving, and putting back in the gut and heart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom