PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and teach no mask breathing. When testing the skill its included with the mask R & R during which I have the student remove the mask go through 12 relaxed respiratory cycles and then don and clear the mask.

I also teach breathing from a free flowing regulator.

"Let me see: if you have to remove and replace your mask UW, aren't you breathing all the time?"

Not necessarily, you could be exhaling the entire time.

PADI requires one minute of no mas breathing and they also require a no mask swim (underwater breathing on scuba)

neil once bubbled...

Let me see: if you have to remove and replace your mask UW, aren't you breathing all the time?
Neil

So your maybe breathing without a mask for 5 seconds...big deal, that doesn't count.

Walter and Jonathan,
Here we go again. :) Does it have to be spelled out in the standards? (I know Walter's answer). Any instructor who has students remove and replace a mask UW without having them go through a few breathing cycles is incompetent.
I've had this discussion with Walter: IMO some things are implied in standards by necessity or practicality. If a student rips and replaces a mask in 5 seconds, what decent instructor will deem that as "comfortable" or as "mastery"?

And since we're nitpicking, NAUI doesn't require in-water rescue breathing, only simulated rescue breathing.

Neil

Neil,

"Any instructor who has students remove and replace a mask UW without having them go through a few breathing cycles is incompetent."

If they don't require it in other portions of their class, I'd agree. I, personally, don't know any NAUI instructors who don't require no mask breathing, but it is not because NAUI requires it of them.

"If a student rips and replaces a mask in 5 seconds, what decent instructor will deem that as "comfortable" or as "mastery"?"

Well, that depends on how easily the task was completed. Can the student consistently repeat the process with ease? I would consider that mastery of the required skill.

Thanks for pointing out I missed "simulated." I thought I said that. I'll correct it right away.

Walter once bubbled...
Neil,
"Any instructor who has students remove and replace a mask UW without having them go through a few breathing cycles is incompetent."
If they don't require it in other portions of their class, I'd agree. I, personally, don't know any NAUI instructors who don't require no mask breathing, but it is not because NAUI requires it of them.

That sort of supports my point. You don't know any instructors who don't do it, and neither do I. Because it's a logical extension of the required skill: to be able to comfortably remove and replace the mask UW. What is the purpose of the skill? To be comfortable when a mask is lost, displaced, broken or flooded, no? Which means to me, and to you, that a diver needs the ability to be okay without a mask on UW, hopefully breathing.
You're correct it's not in standards, but IMO it needn't be spelled out, and it shouldn't be seen as a DEFICIENCY in the standard, which I think you make it out to be.

Neil

Walter said..

"Sorry Wood, you are mistaken....Some are, others are not. PADI requires no mask breathing - a critical skill which NAUI ignores. OTOH, NAUI requires simulated in water rescue breathing with PADI does not require.

>>I do believe I said "almost", the list is extremely similar was the point I was making...

"Nope. PADI requires 4 SCUBA dives. NAUI requires 5 dives, one of which may be a skin dive, but it can be a 5th SCUBA dive."

>>NAUI "requires" 4 scuba dives as does PADI (the minimum); NAUI's 5th dive can be scuba or skin. I stand corrected on the required skin dive; it's only in confined water.

"the list is extremely similar was the point I was making..."

I think the list is somewhat similar, but there are plenty of differences.

A lion and a cow both have 4 legs, I guess some would say they are extremely similar while others would say somewhat similar.

I went with NAUI just because it was the only one in the area. I suppose I would have done the same for PADI. However though I used NAUI, my other family members are PADI so I have seen both sides. I noticed NAUI is more aggressive. Maybe it was my instructor. They really put us through the ringer. Tide both regulators in a knot behind our take for example. I personally feel that what I had to go through allows me to take any emergemncy situation and deal with it ending with a good outcome with confidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom