PADI vs SDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you find an Instructor that you trust and like, as I said it doesn't matter, you will learn what the instructor teaches you! If he handed you a card to a GFI certification all you would care about is can I get air, rent, gear, or go diving! As I said, the card itself won't make you a diver, diving will! The card just says you know the basics and if you kill yourself it isn't the shop that sold you air fault! Talk to the instructor and ask what you will learn in your OWC that's the best way to know what your in for. The agencies just set standards and most instructors can cross from one to another or have multi certificates! Good luck you will really love this sport if you put the time in!

What you will get here is My organization is bigger and better than yours all day long! None of them want you to die! And they're all good!

I prefer SDI, i think in some respects, PADI, can be a bit antiquated, and a little bit market driven, in the way they offer classes. But that's just an opinion, and i'm sure i'll get flamed for it. That's not to say PADI is bad, i just prefer the way SDI does things. Everybody has there on reasons, and i don't think any agency is bad, just different ways of doing things.

And the depth of your knowledge about PADI is what? I see you have been diving a short time and no indication of taking a PADI course. Why regurgitate info you don't have. That's like me talking about the department you work for when I have no knowledge of the infrastructure. Stick to what you know.

To the OP, I've worked with SDI students and it's a fine course. I work with PADI students and it's a fine course. I've worked with SSI, NAUI, etc. Some students are better than others when it comes to skills but the Instructor is the one who must decide if the skills meet the mastery level.

And the depth of your knowledge about PADI is what? I see you have been diving a short time and no indication of taking a PADI course. Why regurgitate info you don't have. That's like me talking about the department you work for when I have no knowledge of the infrastructure. Stick to what you know.

To the OP, I've worked with SDI students and it's a fine course. I work with PADI students and it's a fine course. I've worked with SSI, NAUI, etc. Some students are better than others when it comes to skills but the Instructor is the one who must decide if the skills meet the mastery level.

i knew it woudn't take the flamers long, but let me bow down to you superior knowledge and ability. Yes i haven't been diving 10 years, and i'm somewhat new, but i did do my research and questioning prior to my cert. No i'm not an expert. And how about you keep your post to the OP, and not somebody else. I didn't say PADI was bad, i just stated my opinion. If you don't like it don't read it. Bottom line is, PADI is more market driven, by teaching bare bones, so you'll take another class, and they make more money. BUT THAT IS MY OPINION!!!!!

i knew it woudn't take the flamers long, but let me bow down to you superior knowledge and ability. :mooner: Yes i haven't been diving 10 years, and i'm somewhat new,
My point exactly
but i did do my research and questioning prior to my cert. No i'm not an expert.
Not enough it would appear.
And how about you keep your post to the OP, and not somebody else.
You made the post, expecting flames, but I didn't flame you, just stated for the OP's benefit, you may not necessarily know what you're talking about, as it does not appear you have taken a course other than SDI. Where did you get your information, how is it substantiated?
I didn't say PADI was bad, i just stated my opinion.
Yes you did
If you don't like it don't read it.
I read it because you wrote it; If you don't want your uninformed post replied to, don't post it.
Bottom line is, PADI is more market driven, by teaching bare bones, so you'll take another class, and they make more money. BUT THAT IS MY OPINION!!!!!
And what documentation do you have that your information is correct?
From SDI website:

You’ve taken your open water scuba diver course and now your ready to expand your knowledge but you would like to see what is out there first. The SDI Advanced Adventure Diver course will give you an overview of five (5) selected SDI specialties. Two of the specialties are SDI Deep Diver and Navigations Diver, which are the foundation of continuing diver education. The remaining specialties include
  • Advanced Buoyancy Control
  • Altitude, Boat
  • Computer Nitrox
  • Drift
  • Marine Ecosystem Awareness
  • Many More!
This course is intended to introduce you to each of the five (5) specialties and not complete comprehension of the chosen specialty. One (1) dive from each of the chosen specialties may apply towards a complete specialty certification. Advanced Course Offerings Are these courses offered by SDI free?

Is SDI the same as SSI, the former NASDS?

Just wanted to throw another vote for "it depends on the instructor."

I had two really good PADI instructors for my OW, a lazy (PADI) one for my AOW, and a pretty good SDI instructor for my cert (VERY knowlegable [introduced me to bp/w, gas planning, "self-rescue," etc]... poorly organized). Just realize that no matter how good your instructor is, you can still very easily kill yourself in this sport. Stay humble and strive to learn (scubaboard is a good start!!).

BTW - I can almost promise that you will be a better diver than your parents (straight out of training), regardless of the training agency... in my experience as a young'un, my peers and I are generally ahead of the rest of the beginners class. Something to do with 'muscle memory', I'm certain...
-Brett

My point exactly
Not enough it would appear.
You made the post, expecting flames, but I didn't flame you, just stated for the OP's benefit, you may not necessarily know what you're talking about, as it does not appear you have taken a course other than SDI. Where did you get your information, how is it substantiated?
Yes you did
I read it because you wrote it; If you don't want your uninformed post replied to, don't post it.
And what documentation do you have that your information is correct?
From SDI website:

You’ve taken your open water scuba diver course and now your ready to expand your knowledge but you would like to see what is out there first. The SDI Advanced Adventure Diver course will give you an overview of five (5) selected SDI specialties. Two of the specialties are SDI Deep Diver and Navigations Diver, which are the foundation of continuing diver education. The remaining specialties include
  • Advanced Buoyancy Control
  • Altitude, Boat
  • Computer Nitrox
  • Drift
  • Marine Ecosystem Awareness
  • Many More!
This course is intended to introduce you to each of the five (5) specialties and not complete comprehension of the chosen specialty. One (1) dive from each of the chosen specialties may apply towards a complete specialty certification.Advanced Course Offerings Are these courses offered by SDI free?

Well, i'm glad you feel better, and made yourself look like the true dive professional that you are. And as far as where i came up with my assumptions, i talked to "professionals" that were instructors from about 10 different agencies, and they all kind of agreed that PADI was getting a bit antiquated, and outdated, and overpriced. It's not to imply that anybody that is a PADI diver is bad or otherwise, a good diver is a good diver, no matter what there issuing agency is.

I will also agree, it's more to do with the instructor and not the agency, but that being said, i prefer the way SDI is doing things, i contemplated taking a PADI specialty, but after comparing it to 2 other agency specialty requirements, i liked the SDI best, but that's personal preference, and not an expert opinion.

But you have impressed us all with your wealth of knowledge, and i apologize for being such an incompetent fool, we should all learn that sometimes on SB it's just better not to even post because, somebody is always going to interpret opinion with fact and get defensive.

And no those courses are not free, but i don't, see your point to that. That being said PADI teaches tables, and then want you to pay for an extra Computer diver course. Where as SDI teaches computer diving from the get go, and depending on the instructor you will also learn the tables. So to me that is a marketing tool to make money, which is understandable. But the alot of today's divers use computers. And as to the Computer Diver course offered for SDI, couldn't tell you why they have it, seeing as you learn to use them in the OW course.

To the OP, i will agree with most others, talk to the instructors, ask lots of questions, and go with whomever you feel more comfortable with, REGARDLESS OF THE AGENCY!!! And you can make your own opinions yourself no matter which way you go, just don't post them, because they will most certainly be wrong.

Well, i'm glad you feel better,
Thanks

and made yourself look like the true dive professional that you are.
(a little anger issues inserted here, but thank you again)

And as far as where i came up with my assumptions, i talked to "professionals" that were instructors from about 10 different agencies, and they all kind of agreed that PADI was getting a bit antiquated, and outdated, and overpriced.
Which 10?

It's not to imply that anybody that is a PADI diver is bad or otherwise, a good diver is a good diver, no matter what there issuing agency is.
Correct

I will also agree, it's more to do with the instructor and not the agency, but that being said, i prefer the way SDI is doing things, i contemplated taking a PADI specialty, but after comparing it to 2 other agency specialty requirements, i liked the SDI best, but that's personal preference, and not an expert opinion.
That's one reason there are different agencies

But you have impressed us all with your wealth of knowledge,
Thank you

and i apologize for being such an incompetent fool,
I do not think I said or implied that at all

we should all learn that sometimes on SB it's just better not to even post because, somebody is always going to interpret opinion with fact and get defensive.
I am not all defensive, nor wrongly interpreting anything, you wrote it not me.

And no those courses are not free, but i don't, see your point to that.
My point to that is, you said PADI just wanted more money for more courses. All agencies promote continuing education courses in order to make money. Other than books and cert fees, PADI makes nothing off of a course, the Instructor does.

That being said PADI teaches tables,
True, PADI does teach tables.

and then want you to pay for an extra Computer diver course.
Not true, we also teach computers

Where as SDI teaches computer diving from the get go, and depending on the instructor you will also learn the tables.
As does PADI, but all students do learn computers and tables.

So to me that is a marketing tool to make money, which is understandable.
You are correct here. But again, PADI makes only proceeds from the educational material and "some" of the cert fees. The instructor is the one who decides what the course cost and makes the majority of the cost. Then again, it is expensive to become an instructor.

But the alot of today's divers use computers. And as to the Computer Diver course offered for SDI, couldn't tell you why they have it, seeing as you learn to use them in the OW course.
I would think my students use computers, know how to use computers, know what to do when their computer fails, and how to use tables.

To the OP, i will agree with most others, talk to the instructors, ask lots of questions, and go with whomever you feel more comfortable with, REGARDLESS OF THE AGENCY!!! And you can make your own opinions yourself no matter which way you go, just don't post them, because they will most certainly be wrong.
A reasonable statement

Back
Top Bottom