PADI vs SDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What parts of NAUI's Open Water Diver program are "too hard for many people"?

Alex, virtually no one doubts that NAUI has the most challenging materials and trains the best divers. The issue is whether any given student has what it takes to get through NAUI's programs. They do not guarantee certifications, like many of the other agencies do.

Any other agency is going to be easier than NAUI.

Of these "easier" agencies, I would recommend them in the following order:

2) SDI
3) YMCA
4) SSI
5) virtually any other
6) PADI

It is also true that the particular instructor is the most important issue in the matter, however the higher up on the list you choose, the more likely you will find a great instructor.

In my opinion, the agency doesn't matter as much as the instructor does and what the student decides to get from the class.... you can take any agencies certification program, ALL agencies produce good and not so good divers....

Just my H2O

Alex, virtually no one doubts that NAUI has the most challenging materials and trains the best divers.

I've not found this to be the case. NAUI materials are better than most, but not what I consider top notch. Some NAUI instructors are excellent and do go the extra mile to produce top notch divers, but it's no longer the norm. I've seen some pretty piss poor NAUI classes that didn't violate NAUI standards. YMCA actually has higher standards.

The issue is whether any given student has what it takes to get through NAUI's programs.

There is not an agency that has a course that can't be easily passed by most folks if it is taught properly.

They do not guarantee certifications, like many of the other agencies do.

I'm not aware of any agency that guarantees a certification.

Any well taught class will be easier than any poorly taught class.

2) SDI
3) YMCA
4) SSI
5) virtually any other
6) PADI

What criteria did you use to oder them? From what I've seen, SDI (except for lack of tables), SDI and PADI are very close to each other in quality.

It is also true that the particular instructor is the most important issue in the matter, however the higher up on the list you choose, the more likely you will find a great instructor.

Perhaps, but I don't set much store on the order you've laid out.

Quality can be high or low. How do SDI or SSI differ?

What about the other points?

Quality can be high or low. How do SDI or SSI differ?

What about the other points?

SDI is superior in my view because they have indeed ditched the manual dive tables.

In 21st Century scuba diving, sophisticated deco software and helium dive computers are the cutting edge. SDI in teaching with dive computers is at the cutting edge.

And anyone lucky enough to have an SDI facility close to their location ought to take advantage. There are not that many around.

In my short experience Dive Computers are not stable enough to totally ditch tables. They have a tendency to fail, or put you into some random deco b/c the contacts were wet during your surface interval. At which point you can recreate your dives on your table and use the computer as a guage.

SDI is superior in my view because they have indeed ditched the manual dive tables.

Interesting that you think superiority is about what is left out. I look at it in the opposite way. Learning more (especially skills) is better.

Alex, virtually no one doubts that NAUI has the most challenging materials and trains the best divers. The issue is whether any given student has what it takes to get through NAUI's programs. They do not guarantee certifications, like many of the other agencies do.

2) SDI
3) YMCA
4) SSI
5) virtually any other
6) PADI

Thanks, but I would still be interested in knowing (due to curiosity only) what parts of the NAUI OWD program are "too hard for many people". Could you give some concrete examples?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom