Padi VS SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Art.chic,

That sounds like an LA County course. I'm not aware of any other agency that has a ten week Advanced class. While the Silver Advanced class I teach is excellent compared to most, the 10 dives required by YMCA simply don't measure up to the LA County program. Perhaps there are differences from agency to agency?

Cbriggs,

I notice you are from Atlanta, and you said that your instructor was a class clown cave diver. I am wondering if you could tell me their name. I have a coupld of friends who cave divewith me, that are instructors for OW also. Just want to know if it was one of them.

I was not going to name names (we all know what that leads to!), but yes, my LA County Advanced followed VERY nicely after my YMCA course in OW. It is hard to explain to a non-diver shopping for a class why "longer is better." I, myself did not see why I should "waste" a whole season in 1 class when some "fun guys" were promising c-cards in a week. Fortunately my husband is the son of 2 instructors (ca. 1972) & insisted that we not skimp or rush. I needed it; I had no experience with the ocean having grown up in Illinois!

Such strange myths abound: ie; You need to belong to an organization with the most shops, most resorts, most members, most merchandise. If salespeople are suggesting that there are real benefits to this, how can a new student know any better? Everyone wants to get the most for their money, and they want their class to be enjoyable. Why would a class be oppressive because it is longer? What is fun is getting past the awkward beginnings with the self-assurance to handle real-water challenges. Are those poor souls I see losing their tanks in the surf really having fun? They look scared, to me, but, hey, their instructor sure knew some great jokes!

I agree, it is defiantly the instructor that makes the difference. You have good and bad instructors in every agency. I like Padi because it has very good materials for beginner learning. But I like SSI because it is a lot more lenient when it comes to advanced training (Solo diver and ties to TDI). But these are just small differences. Many instructors have instructor cards for many agencies. But all and all, which instructor do you think could teach you more. Look at their experience, level of diving both teaching and more importantly not teaching, and their passion for the sport.

Good Diving,
Rich

Originally posted by rjrobson
....But I like SSI because it is a lot more lenient when it comes to advanced training (Solo diver and ties to TDI).

Hi Rich,
Welcome to the boards!!

I think you're confusing SSI withSDI,

SSI does not offer solo, SDI does.
SDI is affiliated with TDI

http://www.tdisdi.com

My training has been SSI and NAUI. I like both!

Scuba Diving Certification Agencies

There are over 27 Scuba Diving training systems and certification agencies including PADI, NAUI, BSAC, SDI, TDI and SSI

These agencies create and comply with strict professional standards set by RSTC, and their certifications are recognized worldwide. Each agency establishes its own agenda for diver training and issues certification for each level of scuba diving competency and experience, from beginner to instructor. Courses vary in teaching methods for the beginner's level, but they all cover the same essential knowledge and practical skills development as set by RSTC.

The Recreational Scuba Training Council (RSTC) was incorporated in the United States in 1986. RSTCÃÔ mission is to establish minimum training standards at all levels of recreational scuba diving in order to promote public safety. The RSTC is also the Secretariat for ANSI Committee. (American National Standards Institute).

The Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) is one of the world's largest diving organizations. It has succeeded largely as its programs make diving accessible to the average person, plus its gets students into the water quickly and easily same as SSI. Most PADI courses consist of approximately 32 hours of classes, both in the classroom and in the water.

Scuba Schools International (SSI) places strong emphasis on supporting retail dive shops and this leads to instructions. All SSI instructors are affiliated to an authorized dealer and unlike other agencies; instructors are not allowed to operate independently. SSI basic beginner's course, open water diver, is similar to those offered by the main agencies, and it consist of six academic classes, five pool sessions, five logged open water dives and one skin dive.

SSI & PADI jointly combined in their efforts, have played a major role in making scuba diving a popular recreational activity
Scuba Schools International is a worldwide diver certification agency and educational support organization. Recognised as an innovative leader in diver education, we create state-of-the-art training programs, training standards and materials for all levels of diver education.

The main mission of certification agencies (SSI PADI) is the Marketing of Scuba Diving. Some do a better job than others. The organizations you have heard of have done a better job of selling their brand.
The dive course you take is going to be no better than the DIVE INSTRUCTOR who teaches it. So how do you choose?

Select a reputable Dive Operator.

Ask about the people who represent the Dive Centre

Ask about the Scuba Instructor who will teach you

Ask if the Instructor is Legal to work within the country

On arrival ask for that proof No Proof means No Insurance

Last edited:
Crikey, Roatan, you're right. Time to go to bed.

rest of post redacted . . .

-Bryan

Last edited:
Picture25.png

This thread was a few days shy of being dead for 7 years

Calling all mods.... is that a record?

I skipped all the above posts, as I caught glimpses of people saying... its all about instructors. There is a lot of truth in that, but....

I went SSI back in 84 because thats what the LDS offered. Fast forward 2 decades.. I went PADI for Advanced for one simple reason (because most dive ops require it nowadays): If you forget/lose your card.. there is an online/phoneline database that the dive operators can use to verify your Cert. on the spot. Even on weekends... night/day, out of country etc.

Deep-Blue:
These agencies create and comply with strict professional standards set by RSTC, and their certifications are recognized worldwide. Each agency establishes its own agenda for diver training and issues certification for each level of scuba diving competency and experience, from beginner to instructor. Courses vary in teaching methods for the beginner's level, but they all cover the same essential knowledge and practical skills development as set by RSTC.

What a crock! The RSTC is a joke. The "strict professional standards" to which you refer are the lowest of the low. No agency has ever had to raise standards to comply with RSTC standards, but as the RSTC has lowered it's standards over the years, some of the members have dropped their as well. Some agencies are members of the RSTC, the majority are not. Some agencies have standards that far exceed those of the RSTC. Some agencies have standards that follow RSTC minimums. There are hugh differences between agencies. The fluff about "it's the instructor, not the agency" is merely an attempt by agencies with low standards to look better than they are.

Back
Top Bottom