PADI - What Defines A "Logged Dive"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milkmood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Certainly there must be established minimums.

What is the min-depth AND min-time that can be logged as a dive? I know confined water dives probably don't count (unless you're here: http://goo.gl/NE2e7 )

I'm asking because to move on the Master Scuba Diver, PADI requires a minimum of 50 logged dives, but many of my dives are 15fsw for 27 minutes, 9ffw for 34 minutes...etc. Do they count?

Thanks.

I suspect PADI will let you count diving in your bathtub.

I'm a PADI diver. Many of the PADI courses are valuable. Some, not so much. And some (like this one) clearly serve no purpose other than to sell you a piece of notebook paper for $50.

The simple and direct answer to your question:

PADI's requirements for OW training dives:

Divers must spend the majority of time at 5 metres/15 feet or greater, and breathe at least 1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas or remain submerged for at least 20 minutes.

PADI's definition of "logged dives" used as course prerequisites for PADI courses:

"To credit as a logged dive for course requirements, the dive takes place in open water and specific information about the dive (i.e. date, time, location, depth, profile, etc.) is recorded. Training dives for PADI courses (in open water or a controlled environment) qualify as logged dives."

Last edited:
The simple and direct answer to your question:

For OW training dives:

Divers must spend the majority of time at 5 metres/15 feet or greater, and breathe at least 1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas or remain submerged for at least 20 minutes.

For "logged dives" as course prerequisites for PADI courses:

"To credit as a logged dive for course requirements, the dive takes place in open water and specific information about the dive (i.e. date, time, location, depth, profile, etc.) is recorded. Training dives for PADI courses (in open water or a controlled environment) qualify as logged dives."

Thanks @Hawkwood...just what I needed!

Any idea how long the required Surface Interval is?

15 feet for 20 minutes,couple of minutes SI , could probably do 30 dives in a long day.

Less than 2 days for that Master Diver card.

Kewl :D

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Often it is best just to answer an OP's question with the direct and simple answer.

I THINK it's 15 ft. for 20 mins. May be 20'. In my case it didn't matter, as the instructor I was doing MSD with never looked at my log book, saying I knew what I was doing and he trusted me. Then came the "certificate suitable for framing" AND an MSD backpack!) In fact, I've never had an instructor (or dive op, for that matter) check out my log book, even for Rescue and DM courses).

And some (like this one) clearly serve no purpose other than to sell you a piece of notebook paper for $50.

If you live in East Asia (minus Japan, I think) and Oceania et al, you do not have to pay the MSD registration fee if you take advantage of the following offer - please refer http://www.padi.com/scuba/news-events/default.aspx?id=1838.

From memory, this offer has been available in several different format over the last 4 or 5 years, I think.

Any idea how long the required Surface Interval is?

15 feet for 20 minutes,couple of minutes SI , could probably do 30 dives in a long day.

Less than 2 days for that Master Diver card.

Kewl :D

So you would complete your rescue diver course, 5 specialty courses and 50 logged dives in 2 days.

Really

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Often it is best just to answer an OP's question with the direct and simple answer.

Nah, that's what google is for. This is an Internet forum, which is for turning simple questions into fodder for wide ranging discussions. That's what I like about it...!

:D

Back
Top Bottom