PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But the average diver, who took OW at the Bahamas three years ago, did 10 dives last year always holding the hand of the DM? Maybe can forget the SMB procedure

Tend to agree, even for the average diver who took the course with a quality dive shop but dives a handful of times a year.

There was no SMB use when I took PADI classes in the late 90’s.

Appreciate the insight from the many instructors who have replied to this thread. Didn't do anything in my OW course in '98 with an inflatable safety device but seem to think it may have been mentioned in the PADI manual. When taking the AOW 4 years ago, my packet of materials included a cheap SMB - didn't do a thing with it. In my experience, I have only been with one dive op (I think in Coz for a total of maybe 4 dives) that provided a DSMB to one buddy of the diving pair - no instruction on how to use it but someone had to at least wear it - not use it. Have seen very few of these devices on divers through the years on trips I've been on - mostly DM using one where there are currents and/or the pickup location is going to be different than where divers entered the water. Even Clive in Aruba (for those who know him) didn't require them - mostly drift dives, Clive would take you down and lead you for about 15 minutes and then go back to get the boat - he just followed your bubbles and took the boat where he thought you were going to surface!! I didn't have 20 dives to my name yet but what a great experience.

New skill in the OW class now.

Glad the inflatable signal tube use is being introduced in OW now. I would have appreciated it as a skill to learn even though I doubt that it would have influenced me to have one as a part of my dive kit for the type of diving I mainly do - Caribbean/Hawaii boat dives. Guess I should take my cheap unused SMB in the pool and practice orally inflating it since I have plenty of time right now.

Glad the inflatable signal tube use is being introduced in OW now. I would have appreciated it as a skill to learn even though I doubt that it would have influenced me to have one as a part of my dive kit for the type of diving I mainly do - Caribbean/Hawaii boat dives. Guess I should take my cheap unused SMB in the pool and practice orally inflating it since I have plenty of time right now.

While PADI takes a beating for having a 2-dive DSMB course, I think it is appropriate given that most (all?) mainstream curriculums were lacking that skill that is extremely important in many environments. Lots of certified divers from before. Plus many instructors of several agencies don't take that option when teaching open water.

DSMB is a requirement on the PADI self reliant diver specialty same as the SDI Solo. My LDS is PADI but also SDI, TDI, ERDI and commercial diver prep. Like many said it’s the instructor more than the organization. I’ve done a few PADI and SDI specialties, I learned something on every course so I consider it a win. I’ve successfully boat dived without the specialty lol and they offer some I would never do but it might be of interest to someone. I do think DSMB should be mandatory on AOW like Nav and Deep though.

I have some feedback on this topic.

I certified OW PADI in 1992. Excellent instructor, excellent environment and excellent everything. I couldn't have been happier back then. My last dive was in 1994 just before I got married. I probably had 30 dives total, mostly in local lakes in less than 40 feet.

Fast forward to a few months ago while I was fishing and accidentally went overboard when I mis-stepped and a wake from another boat caused me to go over. In the process, I lost a $500 rod and reel in about 30 feet of water because I was busy trying to save my life fighting against pants, long sleeve shirt and hiking boots.

I decided to look at diving to find my rig, so I did the $63 re-certify deal with PADI. The online education was underwhelming to say the least. It would have been nice to have a short video showing someone getting everything rigged up, proper weight balancing and whatnot, so I'm not wasting time at the pool session. Sure, I can google the prep, but it should be covered in the re-certification. Not everyone is re-certifying a year after initial certification and remembers all this crap. Some of us haven't been on a dive in 26 years....

I paid the $35 this week for my pool session in September and I hope the 4 hours in the pool are better than the online portion....

I have some feedback on this topic.

I certified OW PADI in 1992. Excellent instructor, excellent environment and excellent everything. I couldn't have been happier back then. My last dive was in 1994 just before I got married. I probably had 30 dives total, mostly in local lakes in less than 40 feet.

Fast forward to a few months ago while I was fishing and accidentally went overboard when I mis-stepped and a wake from another boat caused me to go over. In the process, I lost a $500 rod and reel in about 30 feet of water because I was busy trying to save my life fighting against pants, long sleeve shirt and hiking boots.

I decided to look at diving to find my rig, so I did the $63 re-certify deal with PADI. The online education was underwhelming to say the least. It would have been nice to have a short video showing someone getting everything rigged up, proper weight balancing and whatnot, so I'm not wasting time at the pool session. Sure, I can google the prep, but it should be covered in the re-certification. Not everyone is re-certifying a year after initial certification and remembers all this crap. Some of us haven't been on a dive in 26 years....

I paid the $35 this week for my pool session in September and I hope the 4 hours in the pool are better than the online portion....
You should have just gone on Youtube, it would have been cheaper

While PADI takes a beating for having a 2-dive DSMB course, I think it is appropriate given that most (all?) mainstream curriculums were lacking that skill that is extremely important in many environments. Lots of certified divers from before. Plus many instructors of several agencies don't take that option when teaching open water.
In 2007, BSAC introduced DSMB deployment as part of core training for Sports Diver (10m near the bottom) and Dive Leader (15m mid water). Therefore, mandatory for all instructors to teach it.

Ooooh! I bet a PADI instructor will start a YouTube search speciality!

You learn how to search YouTube for all things related to diving skills because we all know that YouTube is the best instructor and it must be true because it's on the internet. Kind of like stuff on SB.

Bonjour.

Again, just kidding all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom