PADI's new *solo* course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knotical

perpetual student
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In the latest PADI training bulletin, they announced the imminent roll-out of a new distinctive specialty course called Self-Reliant Diver.

It appears the course was originally developed by ScubaBoard's own AndyNZ, or derived from Andy's course.

It also sounds a lot like SDI's solo course, but because of PADI's presence, will be available to more divers. As with the SDI course, it will require 100+ dives, reinforces diving with a buddy, and emphasizes redundant equipment.

Dive leaders, photographers, videographers, tec divers and any experienced diver who dives without a designated buddy close at hand can benefit from this course.

From Drew Richardson in 2007:

Written by Drew Richardson
Why PADI advocates the use of the buddy system:

The buddy system in use today for scuba diving came from a decades old water safety concept found in swimming and lifeguard training. It was adopted because it applied to diving and because it made good safety sense. Early support of buddy diving safety procedures was referenced by Jacques Cousteau and the crew of the Calypso in the book "The Silent World". The goals of training divers include developing the skills to take responsibility for themselves and to be self-reliant. The buddy system provides divers in training with a safety redundancy to this skill base that diving alone simply cannot provide. PADI has, and will continue to, train divers using the buddy system based on its proven benefit to diving, divers and diving safety.

Practicality & Convenience:

The buddy system has provided tangible contributions to millions of dives. Buddies provide an extra set of eyes and hands for each other. Providing assistance in putting on equipment, adjusting straps, assisting with weights and tanks, entering the water, helping to load and unload gear are but a few practical arguments that support the buddy system.

Safety:
The roots of the buddy system arise from diving and water safety. Early days of diver training heralded the buddy system as an important safety procedure because only through the buddy system could a diver reasonably expect to escape from entanglement, entrapment, out of air situations, disorientation, a head injury, chest pains, cramping and dozens more. Diver training and diving equipment have improved, yet these same values apply today. Like all safety-based systems, the buddy system is not perfect. However, the simple fact is that without a buddy in the water, the distressed diver has little or no chance of assistance.

The buddy system is the most basic form of scuba diving fail-safe. Buddies have helped each other in subtle and profound ways for decades. Often the smallest buddy intervention averts a string of error chains occurred and negative outcomes or tragedy. The safety record of scuba diving has improved dramatically over the past few decades, while the number of certified divers has increased. During this time, buddy system training techniques have been an integral component of this training. While there is no way to quantify the accidents that were prevented or did not happen because of one buddy looking after another, empirical outcomes support the relevancy and integrity of this training.

Enjoyment:
Diving is a social activity, so the buddy system is more than a safety rule. Diving with someone you know and are comfortable with adds to the fun. Most divers actually enjoy companionship in and out of the water. It is fun to share exciting adventures and experiences with others. Fundamentally, the buddy system is about dive companionship, something that won't appeal to misanthropic personality types.
Can Solo Diving be done responsibly?

Yes, but let's be clear about what responsible solo diving is and what it is not. It requires experienced scuba divers willing to make the necessary commitment to train and equip themselves to accept the added risks involved. That is to say, a person with the required attitude and aptitude to pursue responsible solo diving. This is true in other adventure sport activities such as solo rock climbing.

It is important to clarify what responsible solo scuba diving is. PADI views it as a form of technical diving and not for everybody. To responsibly engage in solo scuba diving, a diver must first be highly experienced, have a hundred or so buddy accompanied scuba dives, be absolutely self-reliant and apply the specialized procedures and equipment needed to engage in the activity. This includes, but is not limited to redundant air sources, specialized equipment configurations, specific dive planning, and management of solo diving problems and emergencies. When solo diving is performed within this description, we see a place for it. Responsible solo diving is not diving alone without the mental discipline, attitude or equipment. That said, no amount of redundant equipment can effectively back up a diver's brain better than another individual.

What concerns does PADI have with regard to solo diving:
When a problem occurs on a solo dive, or when the diver is alone in the water, there is little or no chance of assistance for the distressed diver. This decreases the chances of a diver surviving the problem or having a favorable outcome. Diving alone reduces the chance of survival regardless of the problem. Since 1989, there were at least 538 fatalities where it was clear divers were either intentionally diving solo, or became separated from a buddy and were de facto alone.

PADI is concerned by certain proponents of solo diving within the dive industry, including a major diving publication, who attempt to promote solo diving by bashing both PADI and the buddy system with headlines touting " Why the Buddy System is dangerous". This is both irresponsible and reckless. To suggest that the buddy system fosters a false sense of security and increases the likelihood of panic is outrageous and contrary to the empirical evidence. To claim that divers shouldn't use the buddy system for fear of being sued by a diving companion is ridiculous. The unfortunate reality in the litigious U.S. is that folks have sued one another for nearly anything. It is no surprise that there have been a handful of cases where one buddy has brought suit against another. Outside of the U.S., this argument doesn't hold up and smacks of the fear mongering to sell magazines. Besides, how long will it be before a solo death results in a suit against a magazine or other forum endorsing solo diving, a practice that is contrary to community practice. There is nothing to prevent such lawsuits from arising.

PADI's position is clear; solo diving proponents should advocate responsible solo diving on its own unique merits, requisite training, and equipment needs and not through sensationalized attempts to disparage a proven safety system, that has served the majority of recreational scuba divers well.

©2007 International PADI, Inc.

Kinda like voodoo gas. PADI sees a way to make a buck, their own stands and morals get thrown out the window. Does anyone else see the irony in this?

We'll probably get some mealy-mouthed statement about how a "self-reliant diver" isn't really a solo diver, and the certification isn't meant to allow a diver in the water without a buddy. That's how IANTD approached their "Self-reliant Diver" certification. Why can't these training agencies just gut up like SDI did and offer a solo course?

Frank, it's all about the attorneys. I can send you the standards to SDI's solo course. I think you would be appalled. It can be completed in one day. Based on standards alone, I would be hesitant to let someone with that card dive solo. IANTD's course, even though not called solo, better prepares someone for solo diving. It require 2 days in the water and a lot more skills. When I teach solo diving classes, I require 2 days and issue both certs. I'd prefer to issue just the IANTD Self Sufficient Diver cert, but a lot of boat captains won't accept that for solo diving so the solo cert has to be issued, too.

I've spoken to Joe Duturi as well as the guy who wrote the Self Sufficient diver manual. IANTD self sufficient diver is not designed to be a solo diver card, and if a dive boat accepts it as such, the liability is 100% on the boat. It's only certain insurance companies. Willis firmly embraces the solo diver concept, and stand behind the SDI course 100%. I agree that the course could use more meat, luckily, SDI allows you to make the course what you want. I teach it too, but there is far more to my course than the outline states.

I'm not dinging anyone's course, but I'm the guy who has to allow or disallow what the diver thinks is a solo card. I have to disallow IANTDs cards as solo diver cards, even though the course is more thorough than SDI's course. SDI's card specifically allows solo recreational diving.

From Drew Richardson in 2007:

Kinda like voodoo gas. PADI sees a way to make a buck, their own stands and morals get thrown out the window. Does anyone else see the irony in this?

We'll probably get some mealy-mouthed statement about how a "self-reliant diver" isn't really a solo diver, and the certification isn't meant to allow a diver in the water without a buddy. That's how IANTD approached their "Self-reliant Diver" certification. Why can't these training agencies just gut up like SDI did and offer a solo course?

Well, let me be the mealy-mouth who makes that statement ... I don't think solo and self-reliant are two terms for the same thing. The preparations may be similar ... or even identical in some cases ... but the mentality that goes into why you are making those preparations are not. And in diving, your mentality plays at least as important a role as your physical skills when it comes to safe diving. ... because it determines both how and why you make decisions. And poor decision-making is the ultimate cause of far more diving accidents than skill deficiencies or inadequate equipment preparation.

I completely agree with the final two paragraphs of the quoted PADI article ... particularly the sentence I'm emphasizing below ...

PADI is concerned by certain proponents of solo diving within the dive industry, including a major diving publication, who attempt to promote solo diving by bashing both PADI and the buddy system with headlines touting " Why the Buddy System is dangerous". This is both irresponsible and reckless. To suggest that the buddy system fosters a false sense of security and increases the likelihood of panic is outrageous and contrary to the empirical evidence. To claim that divers shouldn't use the buddy system for fear of being sued by a diving companion is ridiculous. The unfortunate reality in the litigious U.S. is that folks have sued one another for nearly anything. It is no surprise that there have been a handful of cases where one buddy has brought suit against another. Outside of the U.S., this argument doesn't hold up and smacks of the fear mongering to sell magazines. Besides, how long will it be before a solo death results in a suit against a magazine or other forum endorsing solo diving, a practice that is contrary to community practice. There is nothing to prevent such lawsuits from arising.

PADI's position is clear; solo diving proponents should advocate responsible solo diving on its own unique merits, requisite training, and equipment needs and not through sensationalized attempts to disparage a proven safety system, that has served the majority of recreational scuba divers well.

If you are choosing solo because of a lack of good buddy skills, or a notion that buddy diving is somehow less safe, then you are using the wrong reasons, and your mental approach to solo diving may not be as "safe" as you think it is.

There are several good reasons to solo dive ... none of them have anything to do with deficiencies in the buddy system. In solo diving ... as in most things in life ... you simply cannot get the right answers by asking the wrong questions ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wonder if the thousands of five star padi super centers felt a disturbance in the force? Very much like the voodoo gas situation that Wookie mentioned. As a travelling diver I can say I have never been refused a solo dip. I also refuse to get the card as I think it belittles a true solo divers skill. Now that padi is in the pool it will soon be offered not in one day, but in 2 hours or less through the e learning portal, just like voodoo gas.
While we are on the topic the local padi 5 star is trying to embrace or meet padi's tech offerings. While I commend them for the effort I have some real reservations about their ability to pull it off well. As allways it is about the teacher not the shop or agency but.... if padi pushes their 5 star facilities into embracing things they are not comfortable nor really willing to persue the train wreck is coming down the tracks.
Eric

Rob,

I don't think that the SDI standards for the solo class are a problem, nor is the time frame for the education. Those are the minimum standards. You can easily teach a solid cave diver a solo class in a day. The problem is how standards are interpreted and by whom. You and I could look at the following course standard:

Underwater Basket Weaving Solo Diver Specialty: The student must successfully weave a basket without help from an instructor or another student while demonstrating proficiency with dive planning, buoyancy control, propulsion and gas management.

Now, you and I would take that standard and turn it into one of the most challenging courses that student would ever take - if not the most challenging. We'd probably take everything we ever learned as cave divers and toss it at the student in addition to the task-loading of weaving a basket. Another instructor, however, might take that standard and have the student kneel on the bottom, weave the basket and every once in a while demonstrate clearing the mask, undoing an entanglement, etc.

I've always thought the SDI instructor standard of 50 certified students as the only requirement for an active SDI instructor to teach the solo class was a bit ridiculous. Currently, I have 29 students who have passed my TDI courses. Despite having taken the SDI solo class myself from my TDI cave instructor IN CAVES, and despite the fact that I'm a TDI tech instructor, I still can't teach the SDI solo class!

Sure, I could easily decide to lower my teaching standards and pass more students to meet the quota, or issue TDI/SDI cards to all my qualified friends to meet the quota, but instead, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and eventually certify another 21 quality students. I think it is also silly that a tech student doesn't count for more than a recreational student for two reasons: 1) You are allowed only 1/2 the students in a tech class as in a recreational class. 2) Tech standards are expected to be higher. I think that the standard should either be 50 recreational student or 25 tech student certs or 100 recreational student and 50 tech student certs.

Even if we made the world's toughest solo course (which is what I attempted to do with PDIC), the standards could be misinterpreted by instructors who never had quality instruction themselves in the techniques mentioned - many of which are intro to tech and cavern skills. With his DIR training, I'm sure Andy reads the standards of his PADI Self-Sufficient Diver course as being far greater than PADI HQ.

What needs to change is that the diving public should realize that not all scuba instructors are created equal and if you really want a good course start paying the cave instructors to teach it - at any level. While this isn't absolute, you're best bets in diving are cave divers and cave instructors for the most and best info.

The other change is that instructor standards need to be much higher across the board.

The other change we need is for buddy-ism to die off as an absolute religion industry-wide.

If you are choosing solo because of a lack of good buddy skills, or a notion that buddy diving is somehow less safe, then you are using the wrong reasons, and your mental approach to solo diving may not be as "safe" as you think it is.

There are several good reasons to solo dive ... none of them have anything to do with deficiencies in the buddy system. In solo diving ... as in most things in life ... you simply cannot get the right answers by asking the wrong questions ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I won't argue your point Bob, but what's going to happen is exactly what is in the title of this thread. Is this a solo course, or a self-sufficient diver course. They aren't the same, but I'm the poor butthole who has to tell some schmuck he can't dive solo with his shiny new card. PADI needs to make it clear in writing (as IANTD has not) that the self sufficient diver card is not meant to be a solo card. Then, what the hell is its purpose?

By the way, Frank ... I do wish my agency would offer a solo course. I'd love to be able to teach it. I do have people contacting me about it from time to time, and although I can talk to them about the aspects of solo diving that I believe in, I cannot train them how to solo dive. Meanwhile I see people who have gone through the solo diving class who, in my opinion, are vastly unprepared to be in the water without supervision ... much less without a dive buddy.

To be fair, I don't blame SDI for that ... I blame an instructor who taught the class with a "checklist" mentality ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
I wonder if the thousands of five star padi super centers felt a disturbance in the force? Very much like the voodoo gas situation that Wookie mentioned. As a travelling diver I can say I have never been refused a solo dip. I also refuse to get the card as I think it belittles a true solo divers skill. Now that padi is in the pool it will soon be offered not in one day, but in 2 hours or less through the e learning portal, just like voodoo gas.
While we are on the topic the local padi 5 star is trying to embrace or meet padi's tech offerings. While I commend them for the effort I have some real reservations about their ability to pull it off well. As allways it is about the teacher not the shop or agency but.... if padi pushes their 5 star facilities into embracing things they are not comfortable nor really willing to persue the train wreck is coming down the tracks.
Eric

I don't know why I am unable to "like" this post ... but I completely agree with it. Dive shops that have derided certain types of equipment and training as "tech sh!t" are suddenly jumping into the tech bandwagon without adequate training or a change in mentality that will allow them to train divers properly. Tech classes ... and solo classes ... should not just focus on a checklist of physical skills. There must be a screening process that evaluates a diver's ability and willingness to think about risk management ... and be prepared to tell those who are unwilling or unable to make good decisions that they're not suited for this type of diving.

Bad enough to approach OW/AOW classes with an "'everyone must pass" mentality ... once that starts being applied to tech and solo, there will be a real potential for some ugly side-effects ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom