PADI's new *solo* course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kinda like voodoo gas. PADI sees a way to make a buck, their own stands and morals get thrown out the window. Does anyone else see the irony in this?
Either that, or they are open minded and flexible enough to develop their views over time. Quality of equipment and levels of understanding increases year by year. As Dr Samuel Johnson once said: "When the facts change, sir, I change my mind. What do you do sir?" Those who look for the negative interpretation will normally find it.

Frank, it's all about the attorneys. I can send you the standards to SDI's solo course. I think you would be appalled. It can be completed in one day.
It is solo diving, not brain surgery! For those who believe that divers should not be allowed in the water until they pass GUE Fundies, then clearly it will appear insufficient. For others (like me) who believe that all an experienced diver needs to dive solo safely is a good understanding of gas planning and redundant equipment, and a good mentality (which all divers need), it can probably be covered in a couple of hours without getting wet.

Bob, the link to the course outline is with a broken link. They don't hide their standards like PADI does. At least from me, because I haven't logged on to the Pro site in so long my computer doesn't remember the password, and some other instructor has my username now.

Arrrgh. I can't copy the link (it's a Mac thing). Google "SDI solo diver standards" and it comes up number 3. Anyone can see it.

Bob, the link to the course outline is with a broken link. They don't hide their standards like PADI does. At least from me, because I haven't logged on to the Pro site in so long my computer doesn't remember the password, and some other instructor has my username now.

Arrrgh. I can't copy the link (it's a Mac thing). Google "SDI solo diver standards" and it comes up number 3. Anyone can see it.

I've seen that before, Frank ... all it says is that you must be 21 years or older, have issued 50 or more SDI certifications, and be "certified to teach this course" ... it does not specify what background is required to become certified to teach the course.

In other words, nowhere does it say that you must actually have done solo diving in order to teach solo diving. I'd like to know whether or not actual solo experience is required ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I held a solo card when I crossed over to SDI. It became one of the specialties I was allowed to teach. I didn't ask much more than that.

So I finally got access to the Training Bulletin. It does not specifically state that divers who complete this course of instruction will be certified to dive solo, but it surely implies it.

Dive leaders, photographers, videographers, tec divers and any experienced diver who dives without a designated buddy close at hand can benefit from this course.

If this is intended to allow tech divers to dive solo, I can see a whole bunch of PADI haters having to get a new PADI card. <Grin>

Dave ... does SDI require the instructor teaching the solo course to actually be a solo diver? What are the instructor requirements for teaching the class?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SDI Standards:
22.2 Who May Teach
An active SDI Solo Diver Instructor that has been certified to teach this specialty. To qualify to teach the
Solo Diver Program the instructor must:
1. Be minimum age 21
2. Have minimum 1 year teaching experience
3. Have certified 50 or more students at diver-level
4. This rating may be obtained by administrative upgrade, or by completing a course with an SDI Solo Diver
Instructor Trainer but the prerequisites remain the same either way

The potential instructor must be solo diver certified and have conducted a minimum of 10 solo dives to obtain an administrative upgrade but as the above standards indicate they must also have certified 50 divers as well.
I think we can all agree any instructor who has certified 50 divers has been a self-sufficient diver for all of those dives.

My Shearwater Pursuit logs all my solo dives. I'm sure I have 20.

Back to the subject at hand, is this really a solo card, or a self-sufficient diver card? Can a diver with this card dive solo?

As a charter, what duty do you have to police dive agency restrictions / authorizations?

Police them? I don't think so. But he has a very real duty to cover the welfare of his family and business. If someone comes on the boat with Self Sufficient Diver card and he allows them to dive alone will this satisfy his insurance company or the lawyers that will descend if said diver has been trained to minimum standards and dies?

Not having the standards for every diver and instructor publicly available as well as a clear definition of the certification would throw up lots of red flags for me. It'd make me think someone was hiding something. I'd like to see the standards myself. Until I do I'm betting there is nothing in them that shouldn't be in the Basic Open Water course itself. And in fact is likely in some of them now. If not make the differences clear so the student is fully informed.

Not trying to play internet Perry Mason but if a cab driver drops a 20yo passenger off outside a bar are they responsible for what happens if they get out and enter the bar? If a boat captain takes a diver to a dive site does he have to be responsible for the actions of the diver under water? I surely hope not. I have had boat skippers try to control my diving activities and seldom do they have a clue about the kind of diving I do so what qualifies them to judge the safety of the type of diving I am doing?
A Captain asking to see a SS diver card before allowing a diver to go on a solo dive is exercising due diligence. A Captain who says one agency card is good and one is bad is just being a pain in the a55

Police them? I don't think so. But he has a very real duty to cover the welfare of his family and business. If someone comes on the boat with Self Sufficient Diver card and he allows them to dive alone will this satisfy his insurance company or the lawyers that will descend if said diver has been trained to minimum standards and dies?

Not having the standards for every diver and instructor publicly available as well as a clear definition of the certification would throw up lots of red flags for me. It'd make me think someone was hiding something. I'd like to see the standards myself. Until I do I'm betting there is nothing in them that shouldn't be in the Basic Open Water course itself. And in fact is likely in some of them now. If not make the differences clear so the student is fully informed.

I've dived solo off quite a few commercial boats ... including tech dives on a wreck and a wall. Never been asked to produce a solo card ... which is fortunate, since I don't own one.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've dived solo off quite a few commercial boats ... including tech dives on a wreck and a wall. Never been asked to produce a solo card ... which is fortunate, since I don't own one.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

George Purifoy asked me for a card once in NC which I happened to be carrying. I chose to dive solo since my son was seasick and I didn't like the look of the instabuddy who volunteered to dive with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom