Park Fee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My understanding is the park fee is 20 peso's a day. Is this correct.

I thought it was $3 US..... 20 pesos would be a little over a dollar...

Dressel charges $2 per day Park Fee, plus $1 per tank Hyberbaric "Contribution". This is as of this week.

I thought it was $3 US..... 20 pesos would be a little over a dollar...
Yeah, you got to wonder what the fee really is, and how much of what's collected actually gets there. We are visitors so we obey the rules and hope they handle the funds well.
Dressel charges $2 per day Park Fee, plus $1 per tank Hyberbaric "Contribution".
That too.

Excerpts from a discussion last decade...
Okay ... Cozumel has a 20 peso per day Marine Park Fee payable in cash to the dive op. No problem. Great idea (as long as money is well spent). Now let's assume one does a morning 2-tank dive with one op and decides to do a 1-tank afternoon or night dive with another op. Is there some type of receipt issued by the first op that can be shown to the second op in order to waive this fee or are you requiered to pay twice in the same day if you go out with a different op?
You are to be given a Marine Park bracelet each day to be worn on the wrist. It is proof of payment for that day and is good no matter what op you dive with.
Make sure you get a new bracelet for each day of diving from whoever you are diving with...you're paying for it! The only exception to this is when diving the northern reefs...they are outside of the marine park and do not require the marine park fee.
I think I have just received a bracelet on day one that stayed on my BC - if that? I think some trips were no bracelets. I really don't pay attention.

This site says it's voluntary: Cozumel Reefs - Dive Sites - Trip Reports - Videos - Pictures - Dive Shops - Cozumel Hotels - Cozumel Restaurants
A voluntary $2.00 US donation/fee from divers was implemented to fund the conservation program.
Whatever it is, it ain't much. Pay it and hope it helps.

Normally it's $3.00us. About $54mx.

Normally it's $3.00us. About $54mx.
Does that include a chamber contribution, and do all chambers get a cut...??

I don't know, it's just tagged on to my total and a pink wrist band is strapped on me daily. :D

You were supposed to get a new one every day? Ours usually last a week or so. I think it is 30 pesos. I doubt that a government fee in Mexico is denominated in dollars.

Does that include a chamber contribution, and do all chambers get a cut...??

To set the record straight:

Park fee goes to the park - completely separate from the chamber. And no one should be paying a chamber fee - anyone who is fooled by thinking a $1 a day chamber fee covers you is very poorly informed or mistaken. Dr. Piccolo (San Miguel) nor Dr. Gomez (official DAN Dr.) at CMC collect chamber fees. Collection of chamber fees is very old school and is something your dive shop is asking for, not the chamber itself.

If you want to be covered in the case of a diving accident, then purchase DAN (Divers Alert network) diving insurance, there is no substitute. It's the cost of a two-tank dive annually.

The park fee goes directly to the government and there is no getting around that. Whether or not your shop gives you the bracelet, they are responsible for all divers on board and must pay for them. We buy tickets on a monthly basis based on an estimate of how many divers we will have that month. Sometimes we run out of bracelets before we can get more (for example over a weekend or holiday or the park is out of bracelets which happens all the time). In that case, when we do go purchase more we have to deduct the number of diver we had without bracelets in the preceding days. We actually have to pay for these with a form in the bank that goes to the government - we then take the payment receipt to the marine park to pick up the bracelets. The marine park has more than one boat out every single day recording how many divers are on each boat - even if you are unaware of it - they may come by while you're diving and the captain reports how many divers. We also provide monthly reports to the marine park with how many divers we had on each reef. So all of you conspiracy theorists out there who think you're being ripped off when you don't get a bracelet, it's not that simple. The absence of a bracelet does negate the shops responsibility to the marine park - so they are paying for you even if you don't have the bracelet.

You should get bracelets, but if your DM doesn't give you one, ask for them. Some DM's still think they can outsmart the system and reuse them or sell them to their friends (which in essence is stealing from the shop) - but it doesn't work that way - and I just laugh when I run across someone who still thinks that way - it's very, very old school and tells me they clearly aren't up to speed with what's going on :) Just keep in mind, there are real occasions where they simply aren't available form the park or over a weekend when we've run out of them.

I looked at one I got last December and it says "Valor sin ajuste $30.34 pesos." "Valor con ajuste $30.00 pesos." I don't know what "adjustment" they are referring to. As of today that would be about $1.63 USD. I seem to recall they charged me around $2.00 or $2.50 per day at Scuba Club. They were very adamant about all divers wearing the wrist band but I don't recall ever seeing anyone who resembled a park ranger or some such thing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom