Passport Renewal time - TODAY's DATE - FYI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm not going anywhere, just time for passport renewal (no passport card, no extra pages)
These are the actual dates I had.
This was for zero expedite, standard routine service, nothing extra

Aug 3rd - Mailed old passport, check, application

Aug 6th - Arrived Dallas Passport Office

Aug 8th - Check cleared bank for $110

Aug 17 - New passport delivered to home (old docs later)

Aug 24 - Old passport received in mail

Routine service was 10 business days from Arrival at passport office to In my Hands.

Just in case you were wondering,,,,Hit the " Like Button" if this helpful / interesting .............

{Others free free to post your Mail/arrival/cleared/deliver times experience to help others.)

That's awesome!

For anyone else concerned about passport renewal... if you live near a passport office and can prove that you are traveling within 2 weeks' time, you can get it done in person same day or overnight for a premium fee. If you're not sure expedited will work for you in time and you have the luxury of going in person, I would explore that option.

Over the last couple years I have renewed my wife's and my passports plus got an initial issue for my grandson in June. In each case using standard service it took about two weeks.

Nice turnaround time! I wonder if also getting a passport card (in addition to the passport book) has an effect on time? For my daughter and I, I got one; mine cost me $30 extra, and while the card is only good for land crossings (i.e.: driving to/from Canada & Mexico, which I don't do), it gives me a federal photo I.D. in my wallet. For our little girl, it gives her the same, and she doesn't have a driver's license.

One reason I mentioned federal is because a year or two ago, there was a stink raised that Kentucky's driver's licenses weren't going to be accepted as I.D. when checking in to board planes. That apparently got straightened out; the Governor signed something into law where the driver's license process in KY will meet some standards, KY got an extension, etc..., but it disenchanted me with assuming a U.S. driver's license will always be good enough.

Wife doesn't have a passport card as yet, since hers was renewed farther back. We'd hate to have to leave her somewhere...:wink:

Richard.

Nice turnaround time! I wonder if also getting a passport card (in addition to the passport book) has an effect on time? For my daughter and I, I got one; mine cost me $30 extra, and while the card is only good for land crossings (i.e.: driving to/from Canada & Mexico, which I don't do), it gives me a federal photo I.D. in my wallet. For our little girl, it gives her the same, and she doesn't have a driver's license.

One reason I mentioned federal is because a year or two ago, there was a stink raised that Kentucky's driver's licenses weren't going to be accepted as I.D. when checking in to board planes. That apparently got straightened out; the Governor signed something into law where the driver's license process in KY will meet some standards, KY got an extension, etc..., but it disenchanted me with assuming a U.S. driver's license will always be good enough.

Wife doesn't have a passport card as yet, since hers was renewed farther back. We'd hate to have to leave her somewhere...:wink:

Richard.

CA is the same way. They came out with a REAL ID compliant ID earlier this year. Of course, mine expired right before that came out. I sometimes travel with my Global Entry card if I am flying out of state but stay domestic since that counts as federal ID and REAL ID compliant.

You might also want to think about getting Global Entry if you don't already have it. The application process is a pain, and you need an interview with a border patrol officer to finalize it; but when you have it, it really comes in handy. You can breeze right past those endless lines at the customs and immigration windows at the airport, and instead spend 3 minutes (max) at a kiosk right next to all those lines. The Trusted Traveler status which comes with it is not bad either. $100 per person for 5 years, and you can renew online without an interview. This really isn't a Cozumel topic, but since I saw the passport topic come up, I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth.

Passport renewal has became a racket. For instance, last time I renewed I sent it in about six months before expiry, since no one wants to accept a passport with less than six months on it anyway.

Do you think the new one might have come back dated for ten MORE years? Nope. They eat the remaining six months, give you zero credit for it, and start the new one immediately. So planning ahead costs you...five percent extra, because that's how much passport expiry time you'll lose.

Not even my DMV does that.

Most countries require a valid passport that matches the length of the visa. In the case of Mexico a tourist entry visa is for a maximum of 180 days so the passport at entry must have at least 180 days remaining on it. Now I personally do not think they press the issue if you are only declaring for a 7 day trip since they want the tourism. The problem is if they were to reject you because of this then the airline is caught in the middle and has to haul you back due to the entry rejection because they failed to ensure that you had valid entry documents prior to boarding. Some gate agents are diligent in checking some don't but it is not really worth the risk to be several flights into a trip only to be denied boarding on the final international leg when they do the document check. If the airline catches it prior to boarding you are SOL. Not their problem at that point it's your issue and you are not boarding. On the same note: no defaced documents allowed, so if you have a slightly torn page (happened to me from a passport reader and I had to renew 2 years early) again you are $hit out of luck:banghead:.

Passport renewal has became a racket. For instance, last time I renewed I sent it in about six months before expiry, since no one wants to accept a passport with less than six months on it anyway.

Do you think the new one might have come back dated for ten MORE years? Nope. They eat the remaining six months, give you zero credit for it, and start the new one immediately. So planning ahead costs you...five percent extra, because that's how much passport expiry time you'll lose.

Not even my DMV does that.
Mine does for vehicle registration. Even if I wait to renew it until it's 11 months expired, it costs me the same for that one month left on the new registration as it would have if I had renewed it on time or ahead of time.

Back
Top Bottom