Peace be with you Wes Skiles (21 July 2010)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wes will be missed. Offering up prayers for his family and friends.

Wow. I am completely amazed. It's time to fly the Scuba Flag at half mast for a true pioneer.

I join all in mourning his passing. I knew him only through his videos, but I was certainly impressed.

As I read the sad news, I remembered a trip I was on back in the fall of 2004 on board the Nautilus Explorer. It was an exploratory trip down the coast of Baja, California diving some areas rarely ever dove before. I remember meeting a photographer who said he worked for National Geographic and we spent a lot of time talking and he showed me a lot about my camera. I can't remember his name, but his photograph looked familiar to me. Below is a photo, taken by Clinton Bauder on that trip. Can anyone tell me if the man on the far right in the picture is Wes? No matter who he is, he had a profound influence on me and helped me a great deal. (I'm not in this particular picture).

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/v/travel/baja/album31/DSCN1915_resize.jpg.html

The picture was taken by Dave Chamberlin (I am actually in this shot so it wasn't me!) Believe the person on the far right in that photo is Bob Widman who is an accomplished underwater photographer in his own right.

That was a fun trip, though I can't help thinking about the fate of the fellow who is standing immediately to my right. Sigh. Dive safe everyone. Accidents can happen even to very accomplished divers.

Clinton

Back
Top Bottom