Peeing in the suit has been discussed forever - now the old diver perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always "flush" my suit while I'm diving if I have to go. No issues with smell to date. Now, I haven't gone in my 7mm because it's tight enough that it's practically a semi-dry suit already and I don't feel like it would flush as well as my 3mm does in warm waters.

If I need to pee in my wetsuit, I do. But, as @Ministryofgiraffes stated, I stay really hydrated with water, reducing the amount of urea, and before boarding the boat, I will flush my suit 2-3 times as I climb the ladder. Of course, everyone knows what I am doing while flushing the suit, but I am sure that is appreciated by divers and crew. I never have had a urine smell in my wetsuit, and I am very confident of that statement because my wife/dive buddy has a very acute sense of smell.

I do not have anything against peeing in my suit as was suggested in one of the comments and did it in the past when necessary. It is just that now due to the medical condition, the frequency has increased. If you go out in the morning to do two dives, I may have peed 4 or 5 times in the suit by the time I come back to shore.. I believe in good hydration during diving, but remember that in our situation, the more you drink , the more you pee.
Are there 5mm full suits with front zipper? The ideal thing would be if you could open the zipper from above and below. It would be so easy as you are coming back to the boat to open the bottom part of the zipper and flush.......or you could even do it during the dive

I dive a 5mm BARE Velocity, started using it about eight years ago to give me support in my lower back and left leg due to a sciatic nerve issue.

While it is rear zip, what I do during a dive is open either the neck or arms to vent water through the wetsuit for body temperature control. This allows "fresh" water to flow into the wetsuit and mix whatever is going on.

When I get to the ladder, while I am waiting, I will dip down and open my neck one more time, and really add a volume of water.

Once on the boat, I will open the zippered openings at the ankles of the wetsuit, and let any residual water flow out.

A zipper can be installed. I have a suit with a zipper installed horizontally in the appropriate location. It makes flushing fully effective and there is almost no flushing needed with the zipper open ahead of time.

A zipper can be installed. I have a suit with a zipper installed horizontally in the appropriate location. It makes flushing fully effective and there is almost no flushing needed with the zipper open ahead of time.
Sounds good (except of course with farmer john).

I hop back in the water after I ditch my gear... flush out the suit. I have also wondered about adding a "convenience zipper", like some drysuits have, except you could open it while you're diving... discretely of course.

Mostly I just enjoy it! I "pump" water down my neck while I'm peeing so that flushes stuff out pretty well too.

I don’t pee on every dive, but I try to do it early in the dive if it is going to happen. I will pull open the neck to get the water moving periodically and go one last time while I still have 10+ minutes left. Some foods, like broccoli, are going to make for stinky pee. I rinse my gear at home the next day and have never had an odor issue.

My last wetsuit had rips in the crotch for the last couple of seasons, so good maintenance may not be what kept it fresh

I know thi
My question:
You are in a small dive boat and do two dives in which you have to pee a once or twice, maybe on each dive, in the suit. You get back to the live aboard or resort to take the stuff off until the afternoon dives. The smell of urine is obvious. They have rinse tanks with water for everyone (urine is sterile ) so you wash your suit and your skin too and hang to dry but it still smells strongly like urine. Is there anything you can do? Spray it with vinegar or MareZyne.
Most articles are about soaking it for hours or overnight in various different agents but my question is when you are done at noon or in the afternoon and are going to use it in a few hours and every day for 5-7 days

I t....

You can turn the suit inside out and drag it or wash it a little in the ocean, Then let it dry out as best you can between dives.

Another trick which seems to work well on multi-day trips is to put 3-4 squirts of Liquid dial antibacterial soap inside the suit before you put it on. This really helps to keep the smell down and does not seem to cause a rash or other problems.

Also, I think direct sunlight kills some of the nastiness, so a little uv light on the inside shouldn't be so bad, since the outside is normally exposed to direct sunlight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom