People not fit to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I tried to think about a proper place to post this thought. If this isn't right right place, then I trust mods will move it.

Earlier this month I was on a boat with a senior individual who apparently had enough dive experience to be considered well beyond "beginner". He was, however, a new diver to the op I was diving with and so was being treated as a "new" diver.

As he boarded our boat, I noted that he appeared to have some infirmities that affected his mobility (especially as they pertained to his ability to embark and disembark at the pier) and throughout the day, I noticed "forgetfullness". This included reminders about masks, fins, clothing, shoes etc.

I subsequently mentioned to the DM (we're friends) that I was worried about this diver, especially as weather was worsening and whether he'd be able to safely get on the boat if the weather worsened (which it was supposed to do).

In fact, I made a comment to the op owner: if you ever see me like this, tell me to stop diving because I'm not fit to dive.

Turned out, the diver (and his buddy) cancelled their dives the next day (a good thing) as they thought seas were too rough and that boat entry/exit would be too difficult. Good decision.

They did, however, plan to dive the next day or so when seas calmed down.

So here's my question.

At what point do you quit?

Ops want the dough associated with clients (especially in a slow economy) and so may choose "easier" dives to keep them safer.

At what point do they say it's not worth the risk? And do so diplomatically?

Not an accident yet, but probably one that is waiting to happen...

In America at least - if an op were to deny services to an elderly customer, regardless of any "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" signs or policies, they run a serious risk of an age discrimination lawsuit. Merit or not, reasonable or not, it's a goodly risk to consider. Many times, an op might provide services against its better judgment, and simply hope nothing happens.

From the passenger side of things - I'd say that I'd dive at least as long as I can drive.

It sounds like this guy might be a safer diver than a lot of younger divers for the simple reason that he has acquired the essential skill of knowing when to call a dive.

Don't be dissin' us old fogeys, dog!

When they push the button that lowers my coffin into that 6' deep hole, the one thats about 6' long by about 3" wide, thats the point when I quit diving. Until then, my new goal is to annoy the crap out of young, fit, I-know-everything divers!

:D

The kind of guys who are a yard sale on the boat, and a 3-ring circus underwater.

Bring it on...

:wink:

I hope when I am old, forgetful and have trouble with mobility, that younger, fitter divers with better memories aren't sitting around thinking that they should be able to have a say in whether I should be diving or not.

In answer to your questions:
At what point do you quit?

Whenever you feel like it. That is a personal decision that rests with the diver.

At what point do they say it's not worth the risk? And do so diplomatically?

Well that is really up to them, operators should be able to choose who they have on their boats for whatever reason. Whether it be because they think someone is too old, too fat, too young, too ugly and so on. However, I would hope that they would let anybody who wants to dive, dive. I hope once people have signed their waiver and shown a cert card (or whatever the local customs dictates as a requirement for insurance or things like that) the charter doesn't really care who dives.

Not an accident yet, but probably one that is waiting to happen...

:confused: I think an accident waiting to happen can apply to many divers, regardless of their age, mobility or memory. I wouldn't be singling out the elderly with that comment..

Last edited:
Don't be dissin' us old fogeys, dog!

When they push the button that lowers my coffin into that 6' deep hole, the one thats about 6' long by about 3" wide, thats the point when I quit diving. Until then, my new goal is to annoy the crap out of young, fit, I-know-everything divers!

:D

The kind of guys who are a yard sale on the boat, and a 3-ring circus underwater.

Bring it on...

:wink:

AMEN Doc......by the way, do you know if Bengay will melt drysuit seals? :)

On various diving days, I've managed to forget or screw up:
1) forgot to pack my lift bag and reel (for a dive focused on lift bag deployment!)
2) forgot my booties when wetsuit diving (had to borrow a pair from a kind soul)
3) put all my wrist mounted gauges on BACKWARDS and didn't catch it until submerged
4) forgot an expensive wristwatch in the changing room (never got it back)
5) forgot my fins and/or mask :D

And I can't even use age as an excuse. I'm only 25!!!

I guess what I'm trying to say, is we all need help from time to time. It's the rare soul (if ever) who doesn't forget something important at least once. Someday, we'll all (hopefully) be old divers who might need just a bit of help getting up the boat ladder. I doubt anyone would tell a small woman that she's not fit to dive, just because she needs an extra hand with her gear from time to time. We all need a helping hand on occasion.

I guess the older diver can't be all that incompetent if he had enough sense not to dive when conditions were bad the next day :)

Even if the older diver is a bit forgetful and needs some help getting in or out of the boat, he did bring his own buddy, whom I'm assuming is capable of helping him. It's not like his infirmities really affect you...

4) forgot an expensive wristwatch in the changing room (never got it back)
I feel your pain. I left a Rolex Submariner hanging from the shower faucet at my gym. Surprisingly, it never made it to the lost and found.

How hard would it be to keep an extra eye out....on the sly....of someone who shares the same passion we all do? This is no different than watching an ederly or disabled person cross the street. No help is required or asked for....but that doesn't mean nobody is paying attention. I applaude this diver for not getting old too soon.

It soundsl like he had an enough experience to call the dive when conditions could prove unsafe for him. He lived to dive another day, because he knew his limits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom