Personal experiences of DCS - poll

How much personal experience have you had with DCS?

• I have had two or more DCS hits, including type II DCS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have had two or more DCS hits, but never worse than type I DCS

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I have had a type II DCS hit

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have had a type I DCS hit

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have never had DCS, but I have seen a DCS hit

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • I have never had DCS, but a personal acquaintance has

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I have never had any kind of direct or indirect DCS experience

Votes: 55 45.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thought it might be interesting to run a survey of people's experiences with DCS on the board. I appreciate some people may not fit exactly into one of the options - just do your best.

Actually, the second and third to last choices both apply in my case. I was present when a personal friend took a type II hit.

Actually, the second and third to last choices both apply in my case. I was present when a personal friend took a type II hit.
Me too!

While diving Niihau HI, I watched as a diver from Germany followed a monk seal up from around 100' to the surface, all the while snapping away with his camera. It was not a good time watching that guy in agony knowing the nearest chamber was several hours away.

I don't really know how to answer. The first time I went to Nanaimo was the first time I dove a deep (100 fsw) square profile. That night, I had several odd-looking pink-purple stripes on the back of my left shoulder. They looked a little like bruises, but they were gone in the morning. They did not itch, and I don't know whether I had a very minor skin bend or not. (I did a good minimum deco ascent with no control issues, and did not exceed planned bottom time.) I have since done extra deco time when I do deep, square profiles, and have never had anything like this. I should mention that I stood for quite a while with doubles on before the dives.

I had a dive buddy take a table 6 with 2 extensions after a dive we did together, but have not yet been bent myself.

One of the guys I dive with had a mild hit after being invited to dive with the navy back in the 60's or so. Apparently they told him the bests thing to do was to go up and down really fast repeatedly :( Apart from that nobody in the dive club im in has ever had a DCS hit in 48 years of diving, despite the fact we still dive using the old BSAC-RNPL tables based on the ones the old brass helmet divers used to use and calculated by chucking in divers and recording how long it took them to get bent :D

Forgive this if it is too off topic....

If someone gets bent but doesnt go to a deco chamber...will the body eventually deco on its own? Or will they continue in pain until they make it to a chamber?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom