Photoshop Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonix:
learn layers dennis, it's safer to do corrections with it.

True, but another thing to remember is to NOT overlay the original.

In addition, if you are working off of jpg images, every save results in image loss...

RonFrank:
True, but another thing to remember is to NOT overlay the original.

In addition, if you are working off of jpg images, every save results in image loss...

agree on that, be careful not to overlay. and yes, quality loss is really a problem with jpeg.

RonFrank:
Layers are easy, and essential for using PS effectively. I'm very sure Leesa can give you some basics, but you really need to get a couple books. I have a few at home, but I can not remember what the titles are, and when I tried to find them on Amazon, I got a couple thousand hits! :D
Scott Kelby has a series of books with titles like "The Photoshop Elements 3 Book for Digital Photographers", "The Photoshop Elements 4 Book for Digital Photographers", etc.

They are all essentially the same book, with just a few changes to reflect the particular version of Elements or Photoshop.

Well written. Clear, simple directions on how to do things like portrait touchup, and restoration of old photos. You'll painlessly learn a lot about Photoshop, including manipulating layers, as you follow the examples.

-------------------------------------

While it isn't directly targeted at underwater photos, a lot of the techniques transfer nicely over to what we need. For example, there is a section on removing specks, dust, and scratches. It is another good alternate method for removing backscatter ----

1. Duplicate the background layer by dragging it to the new layer icon.
2. Select the duplicate layer, then apply filter | noise | dust and scratches. Crank up the filter until the backscatter is no longer visible. (Alternatively, use the Gaussian filter). Ignore the overall blurriness at this point.
3. Generate a blank layer under the blurred layer. Click back on the blurred layer and press Control-G to group it with the blank layer. This hides the effect of the Dust & Scratch or Gaussian Blur filter.
4. Set foreground color to black. Select the brush tool. Select medium sized, soft brush.
5. Go to the blank layer and paint away the backscatter. Any painted areas on the blank layer cause the blurred layer will be visible, rather than the background layer with the backscatter.

You could also experiment with blending modes to only change those pixels where the blurred layer is darker than the background layer (Backscatter is generally lighter than what it is blocking.)

Obviously, all sorts of techniques can be combined. The above technique works nicely for quickly fixing areas outside the focus of interest. For the area of interest, I'd probably use mostly the healing brush. Near edges, sometimes the healing brush does weird things, so there I'd use the clone stamp tool.

jonix - what links? i don't see any links relating to photoshop or any tutorials. question remains, can someone help me learn the ps healing process so i can begin to work on my pics? all i see is chit chat back and forth and somone else correcting my pic. and however much i appreciated that, i would enjoy it all much more by learning how to do the process myself with someone else's help. thanks!

special thanks to charlie99! i ordered a different book off of amazon last night. i'll check it out and then see how it goes. if necessary, i'll try your book recommendation. what i need is a local place to take a local class. i believe that would be the fastest and most productive way to get up to speed quickly. don't think i'm going to get the help i need here.

RonFrank:
Hey Dennis,

Layers are easy, and essential for using PS effectively. I'm very sure Leesa can give you some basics, but you really need to get a couple books. I have a few at home, but I can not remember what the titles are, and when I tried to find them on Amazon, I got a couple thousand hits! :D

I'll post a couple titles when I get home tonight. These things run in the $20 range are are WELL worth the price.

You could also get Mike to get into some more advanced stuff in the BALI class.. you dog you!

He he he. Thanks Ron. You should come to the Photo Workshop next year in the Philippines. Mike, Simon Buxton and Tim Rock will be there as well.

Diver Dennis:
Thanks Charlie. I need to learn this stuff...
YMMV, but I got bumps on my forehead from passing out and my head hitting the table when trying to read most Photoshop manuals and books. OTOH, with the Scott Kelby books you just follow along with the instructions and eventually the lightbulb turns on as you kind of pick it up by osmosis. :)

Charlie99:
YMMV, but I got bumps on my forehead from passing out and my head hitting the table when trying to read most Photoshop manuals and books. OTOH, with the Scott Kelby books you just follow along with the instructions and eventually the lightbulb turns on as you kind of pick it up by osmosis. :)

That's EXACTLY the kind of book I need Charlie. The skull has gotten pretty thick over time...:D

Love the healing tool. I've been using the clone tool. I just did this one with just the healing tool:

Before

Lingfacexs.jpg

After

LingfacePShxs.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom