Placement/Position of tank valves & 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's funny the ring bungee will be old school in 10 years with the way sidemount is hitting the market.

You are right. I am predicting that eventually people will discover that the jacket BC concept,with air in the back,sides,and front will catch on,even though it used to be SOP. Dive manufacturers marry together things already have,so the wing in sidemounting is a thing of convenience,not necessarily the best rig. My first sidemount dives were on a converted jacket BC,and there are so many advantages to moving air around your entire thorax,as opposed to having a big bulge in the back. One thing though that I have never let go of is the use of a rigid side attachment point versus using a butt plate. That is old school :)

For those of you who prefer this arrangement, is the bolt snap placed in line with the opening of the valve or off a little to one side or the other?

Not sure of what you are asking. I use loop bungees to secure the tank valve,nothing else. My lower attachment point (I prefer carrbiners on the tank) is a little off center to give a little rotation to the tank to pull them upward and inward slightly.

I was asking about the lower attachment point, thanks.

For those of you who prefer this arrangement, is the bolt snap placed in line with the opening of the valve or off a little to one side or the other?

Off center.

I do have another question. How long do you have your clips off the tank on the bottom side. Mine come off the the top of the cam strap and wanting to know how long others have theres? Where is a good place to start?

My rig is a Hollis SMS 100 and using 2 worthington HP100's.

I guess the better question is how low do you like the back of your tank to lie??? Rob N. your input would be really appreciated.

It varies. There's is not a set answer for your question. The length of the leash needs to let the cylinder be horizontal and parallel to your body. Your body type will be a big determinant of this. In other words, if you have a wide a$$ then the leash must be longer! LOL! A common problem is making them too short so the bottom of the cylinders are up too high.

They are right. There is no real answer. I teach both TDI Sidemount and SDI Sidemount and with both I usually put people in the gear and get them in the pool and then adjust the cams after I see them in the water. I set the regs up with handles out if I have a right and left valve. When I use choker system I set first stages down. With bungees I do the same. I teach with the Choker set up and the Bungee looped around the valve, and the clip on the Bungee so the student can see each setup.

"Old School" is the loop bungee that comes off a piece of webbing. It starts and ends at the same point with a big loop in the middle that you wrap around your tank handle knob...

Any particular reason for having looped bungees instead of DR bungees (without the ring) that comes with a Nomad?
It looks to me that the DR bungee acts a bit to keep the wing close to the diver's body.

Any particular reason for having looped bungees instead of DR bungees (without the ring) that comes with a Nomad?
It looks to me that the DR bungee acts a bit to keep the wing close to the diver's body.

Well a few reasons.
1) I have a Hollis SMS 100 not a Nomad
2) those style bungees are way to small and weak for steel tanks. They allow the tank to hang much lower then then I would like. The bungee I use is 3/8" thick and holds the tank up very well.
3)the wing is bunged down very well and does not taco. If it did it would actually have a piece of 2" webbing holding it down rather then the 3/16" bungee the nomads come with it comes with.

I didn't listen to sales pitches when I was hunting I simply looked at what are serious SM's using. The looped bungee seems to be the favorite at least around here for the type of diving I want to do.

Also I found it best for me to have handles out and 1st stages on the bottom facing in. With them up top it jamed in my armpit. Still got a long way to go but everything feel just right and looks good too ( from what I am told)...

Back
Top Bottom