Planning out my first BP/W: critique my ingredients list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only option for a wing seems to be 25#, and my understanding was that I should have at least 30 lbs of lift for cold-water diving.

Ah, yeah, sorry. In that case the Argonaut would be the way to go.
Sounds like a really nice low cost setup.

Ok, I've decided to go with this approach.

• Harness: Buy webbing & hardware, DIY-style, plus DGX crotch strap (approx $40)
  • Cam bands: DGX ($40 for 2)

Except now the VDH 35# wing is out of stock. Hmm. Looks like my next-most-cost-effective alternative might be the Deep 6 30# wing for $250. I'm inclined to go for this, so that I can stop spending money on renting a BCD every time I dive (got a bunch of dives planned in the next month), unless folks think the VDH Wing is a better choice and worth waiting for.

Last edited:
As to the plates, the specs say the hog plate is 6lb vs 5lb for the dgx

Except now the VDH 35# wing is out of stock. Hmm. Looks like my next-most-cost-effective alternative might be the Deep 6 30# wing for $250. I'm inclined to go for this, so that I can stop spending money on renting a BCD every time I dive (got a bunch of dives planned in the next month), unless folks think the VDH Wing is a better choice and worth waiting for.

Does the DGX plate have bottom corners bent backwards? That's a must for me.

Are you still waiting out for the vdh or have you decided on the deep6?

Where and how are DSMBs attached in a BP/W setup?

Mine is slightly bulky and had a LPI connection mechanism which is 1cu inch

Just spend the extra 200$ if you can afford it and get the halcyon Eclipse 30# Wing with no weight pockets. The reason the halcyon is expensive is because attention to detail, you’ll probably just end up getting the halcyon brand stuff anyway later on.

Anything to help. As we all know anything with a blue H automatically makes you a better diver.:D

Where and how are DSMBs attached in a BP/W setup?

Mine is slightly bulky and had a LPI connection mechanism which is 1cu inch

You could either clip it to a d-ring on your right or back. You could also buy a thigh pocket and put everything in that. That's what I do because nothing is dangling.

Reactions: Jay
You could either clip it to a d-ring on your right or back. You could also buy a thigh pocket and put everything in that. That's what I do because nothing is dangling.
Thanks.
Perhaps a silly q; but does/can it also be clipped onto a plate?

I shop at DGX all the time but don't like the plate because I wanted to put a backplate pad on there and the holes are NOT standard. Why do I want a pad? Cause I want to put a lift bag under the pad. So I did not realize this until a few weeks ago. Otherwise I love the plates (have 1 Steel and 1 AL of them). Now in fairness to them, it does say in the fine print. So its my error.

They are a great outfit. But the plates are not standard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom