planning to get first SMB/spool setup - some advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pm me for info on the HOG smb's and spools. Come in 3ft, 4.5ft, and 6ft. Spools in 100 & 160ft lengths. I have all the smb's in stock and the 100 ft spools. Less expensive than the h's and all high quality with oral or lp hose inflators and opv valves. Built in bungee for storage.

Opv is.over pressure relief valve. Allows you to.shoot the bag from depth and not worry about it splitting or blowing apart due to expanding air. Same as the opv on your bc.

The smaller smb's are closed bottom. The 6ft can be inflated using your secondary as well as orally and with the lp hose for your bc or drysuit.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for these recommendations! I think that is exactly what I (not the OP) want.

Two more questions, if I may:

1) What is OPV? I would think that I want the oral inflate option and also to be able to inflate it from my reg or secondary.

2) Where can I get these more cheaply than Halcyon's list price? (About $100). I checked LeisurePro (nothing), are there other buying options?

P.S. My wife is Filipino, we look forward to diving there one day.

Thanks,

Bill

OPV = Over Pressurization Valve

I personally like the Halcyon SMB's especially the Closed-Circuit model do to quality & design. If you are looking for a little better pricing, I have some Halcyon "Blem" open bottom models at a good price!
Halcyon Blem's

Just type in "SMB" to search engine and a bunch of options will show up.

Here are some spool options as well:
Spools

I had a feeling I was over thinking this but when you're not sure exactly what's what, it seems like a lot of options.

I'm going to say most likely uses are 1 and 2, though I think I'd like the option for 3. Technical diving is not in my immediate, foreseeable future, so not 4.

Well it would seem that billt4sf has similar needs lol.

I agree with what the others have mention in terms of features.

For general usage you don't need something huge a smb that's 6' tall and around 6" wide is good enough any larger and you'll have problems deploying it underwater with your breath.

An OPV is strongly advised as the bag could explode if air wasn't allowed to escape during the float upwards.

In terms of brand, quality and customer service, my vote goes to Carter bags Personal Floats Safety Sausage Tubes
I had a problem with a valve and the owner himself sent me a replacement foc.
These guys make commercial lift bags so their gear is built to last however, they are pricey.

I own a Halcyon 7' SMB as well and as good as it is, the Hog smb that Jim mentioned should be more suitable for the price/performance for recreational use.

For the reel, a 50m finger spool is good enough. I'm sure Jim will give you guys a great price package.

Cheers

Cold water diving means a spool with a larger center is nice to have. The delrin ones are often to small to get a gloved finger inside even a little and can hinder deployment or cause a dropped spool.

What brand spool is easiest to handle with dry gloves? I am in the same position as the OP and want something that's small but as easy to handle as possible.

What brand spool is easiest to handle with dry gloves? I am in the same position as the OP and want something that's small but as easy to handle as possible.
Owning both delrin and stainless spools, I would probably go stainless again, mostly for space savings in my pocket. I carry too much crap!

Light Monkey and Halycon both offer a cold water spool.

Light Monkey
https://www.divegearexpress.com/tools/fingerspools.shtml

Others make do with smaller sized spools and thick gloves. Not for me though.

Light Monkey and Halycon both offer a cold water spool

So do Piranha, at a good price (cold water = larger finger hole for use with gloves - actually i prefer them even for warm water/no gloves, maybe I have fat fingers)

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2013 at 06:16 PM ----------

An OPV is strongly advised as the bag could explode if air wasn't allowed to escape during the float upwards

For a DSMB (underwater deployment) you need either an OPV or open bottom design; OPV is preferred since it eliminates the chance of air spill on the surface

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom