Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaken1970

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, missdirected told me to put a post up and ask the following questions.

I am planning to do a dive in the area of Vienice and I want to go tooth hunting.I was wondering if some people would help me out and give a little more detail on where to find teeth and areas to go.I have no Idea of where some of the places described in previous posts.I know very little if anything about this area I have seen on maps on how to get down there but I do not know all the land marks.
Would anyone recommend which would be better boat or beach diving?
Are they really hard to find?
Really anything you folks could help me out with would be a great help I am wanting to do it 2 days saturday and a sunday mourning.
I would welcome any buddies who might want to come along also and show me some tricks:D

Ideally, you'll be able to hook up with someone who dives Venice regularly. That way you can get pointers and actually watch how they find teeth. When are you planning to dive Venice, maybe we can get together for a dive?

Beach or boat? Your chances of finding megs are better from a boat, but you certainly can find them from shore as well.

They get easier to find with practice. When I started fossiling, 30 teeth on a dive was a good showing, now I consider it a good day if I break 200.

My favorite site in Venice is Alhambra, there's so much to see and I find more fossils there. Other folks like other sites better, such as Service Club Park, Sharky's etc. Better is almost always a matter of opinion.

I pretty much agree with everything Walter said. Ya might want to take a look at Reefguy's Fossil Finding Guide. When were you planning on coming down. Be advised that the water is pretty cold right now.

If you have the option of picking the weekend that you dive Venice, rather than it being a commited weekend that you plan to dive also, paying close attention to the local weather can save you a wasted trip. Winds from a general easterly direction are best with several days of light (<15mph) easterly winds would incease the vizibility. Incoming tides tend to increase viz also, with one high tide days being the best also. Here is a link to local weather: National Weather Service Marine Forecast post an advanced noticed when you have a date set, I'm sure someone would be happy to buddy up with ya.

Actually I was planning on the 20th or 21st of this month any body is welcome to help it would be very well appreciated I was planning to show up early aroud 10am on saturday.Will a 7mil semidry work ok for the water temp.I am adjusted to pretty cold water and it works well down to 50 but is isn't much use below that.

I think the 7 mil semi dry should work. I'll have to let ya know if I can dive those days. Tis all dependent on if I am able to secure a 7 mil suit. I'll get back to you closer to that time.:)

Send me a PM when you're set on a date and time. Give me a couple of days heads up, I'll probably be able to buddy up with you.

This week's cold front may make that water a little cooler. The west coast waters are at 60 degrees now. Who knows what it will be come this weekend?

I dove Sat. with a 3mil FJ with an extra 2.5 shorty layered under the FJ jacket, and a 2 mil hood. I could have dove for hours. I should be good for at least 5 to 6 more degrees.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom