Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not say I wasn't going to go. We still have a week yet to see how the weather pans out. I am starting my vacation then & if there is viz, I will probably go either Saturday or Sunday. There are several different spots to go. Alhambra, Sharky's, Service Club or South Brohard. The only one I can't do is Service Club. You pick which one you want to go to & we'll give ya directions.

I did not say I wasn't going to go. We still have a week yet to see how the weather pans out. I am starting my vacation then & if there is viz, I will probably go either Saturday or Sunday. There are several different spots to go. Alhambra, Sharky's, Service Club or South Brohard. The only one I can't do is Service Club. You pick which one you want to go to & we'll give ya directions.

I know it is too far out right now to know what the water is going to be like but if the forecast holds the same, starting on Sunday for three straight days the winds are from the East :yeahbaby:

East winds, we definitely like east winds.:)

NO we don't :wink:

Oh, wait, this is the Venice thread..yeah, I guess in the west we like the wind from the east! :wink:

I will be able to dive Sat or Sun. Just need to know what time exactly and which location are you heading too.

East winds, we definitely like east winds.:)

East winds are prefered, but NO winds are best!

East winds 'push' the surface water out to sea but they can also 'pull' water from the bottom towards the shore. So with the clay based substance along Venice can make it cloudy sometimes. Been there.

East winds are prefered, but NO winds are best!

East winds 'push' the surface water out to sea but they can also 'pull' water from the bottom towards the shore. So with the clay based substance along Venice can make it cloudy sometimes. Been there.

Brad, I hate to correct you, but there are a couple of errors in your post. The predominate substrata along the west Florida coast is sand, coquina rock and limestone. The clay silt comes from the bay systems and is worst close to passes and on outgoing tides. East winds do not "pull water from the bottom". This condition is caused by incoming tides not winds, which help to clear water along the beachfront. The cloudy water is a result of outgoing tides near passes and silt layering caused by a water density differential of fresh/brackish water from the bay system carried on the outgoing tides.

Last edited:
East winds do not "pull water from the bottom". This condition is caused by incoming tides not winds, which help to clear water along the beachfront. The cloudy water is a result of outgoing tides near passes and silt layering caused by a water density differential of fresh/brackish water from the bay system carried on the outgoing tides.

What I was refering to is about 'Upwelling/Downwelling currents'

The following is from NOAA ocean service education website:

Winds blowing across the ocean surface often push water away from an area. When this occurs, water rises up from beneath the surface to replace the diverging surface water. This process is known as Upwelling.

Upwelling occurs when winds blowing across the ocean surface push water away from an area and subsurface water rises up to replace the diverging surface water.

Upwelling occurs in the open ocean and along coastlines. The reverse process, called downwelling, also occurs when wind causes surface water to build up along a coastline. The surface water eventually sinks toward the bottom.

Link to my info--->Howstuffworks

Venice does have an extensive layer of exposed clay. Don't take my word. Feel it, it's generally around the coquina fields (about 12'-15' deep) just before "tooth alley".

I maybe corrected. I just post what I'm told and read. Either way, we still have some kick-@$$ diving locations here on the West Coast.

Well wrong or right good weather or bad I am comming down there on sat dont know where I am going but I will figure out where if some one will give me some hints.Most information I have gotten jus gives general areas.Is there a good spot I should try how far should I go from the beach 200 300 yards?Which beaches would you guys and gals reccomend

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom