PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how is the new model Nautilus? Have not seen too many reviews. Does it also have land based use as well? Hiking, backcountry etc.?

So how is the new model Nautilus? Have not seen too many reviews. Does it also have land based use as well? Hiking, backcountry etc.?

I haven’t been able to use it. Hopefully I would never will. It’s about half the size of the old NLL doorstop & it uses 2 tiny Lithium 123 batteries, not the old rechargeable one in the NLL.

AIS Automatic Identification System Overview is for marine only. If you want to have one for back country hiking & skiing, get yourself a PLB

In terms of waterproof cases, I’ve used the body of a larger dive flashlight rated to 50m (not a can light) with the batteries removed to store things I need to keep dry.

Good point. One caveat to consider is how easily can the lid be removed with cold wet hands. It would be a major bummer to be found floating and lifeless with a PLB sealed in a housing that you couldn't get open. Some larger light housings can be challenging to open. I know my petite wife could never open them without tools.

That is an argument against the HDVSEATEK ePOD for divers with small hands. The threaded ring is about 4.5"/115mm in diameter.

upload_2019-3-21_8-25-7.png

The stainless Nielsen snaps do not have that limitation.

Good point. One caveat to consider is how easily can the lid be removed with cold wet hands. It would be a major bummer to be found floating and lifeless with a PLB sealed in a housing that you couldn't get open. Some larger light housings can be challenging to open. I know my petite wife could never open them without tools.

That is an argument against the HDVSEATEK ePOD for divers with small hands. The threaded ring is about 4.5"/115mm in diameter.

The stainless Nielsen snaps do not have that limitation.

That is the reason why camera cases & Nautilus PAB have latch-type door. Screw-type metal container lid in marine environments would eventually freeze due to corrosion.

Does it also have land based use as well? Hiking, backcountry etc.?
Named for a sea animal because it's only for use at sea. Get a PLB, carry it everywhere, in your car driving thru no-cell zones, hiking, farming, diving, etc.

Last week my kids, granddaughter, great granddaughter and I spent a few days around Texas' most popular state park. No Verizon service for miles in any direction. We kept our phones on airplane mode to conserve batteries. My exchange student granddaughter had AT&T with service so we kept her's charged, sometimes Verizon has better coverage in some areas, but my PLB also went everywhere with us.

I had contacted MRT (Marine Rescue Technologies) several days ago about a unit (AU9-D) they sold. There where 2 units one rated to 40m and one to 80m. I could not find a place to buy so I emailed them. They replied back:

"Hello and sorry for the late reply.

The AU9-Dive unit was discontinued a few years ago. I could offer another
solution for you that is manufactured in Germany. First can you tell me more
about your application? Is this for a particular dive vessel/operator or is
it for you as an individual to carry with you on dive trips."

I told them I am looking for a PLB that is dive submersible rated to 40m.

She sent back a device datasheet easyRESCUE-DIVE and reply

"Attached is pricing on the easyRESCUE-DIVE, and is waterproof up to a 90 meter depth. This unit works on AIS and in the event of an emergency or you are left behind you can press the Alert button and an emergency message will be sent out to all vessels with an AIS receiver on board.

Please note this is a onetime use, however hopefully you will never need to use it!

Once activated to alert mode, the unit will transmit your location (updated every 60 seconds) for 45 hours. I’ve attached the data sheet on the product."

The price is $406. This is a bit steep I think, but if it was a 406 transmitter I might consider, unfortunately it is not. I asked them if they carry a 406 transmitter. Their reply:

"Unfortunately there are no 406 dive units that I’m aware of. We also don’t recommend 406 because if you are in certain countries or remote areas.... Search and Rescue may not have any assets to respond."

So no go with MRT. I don't really agree with her about 406. There may not be assets to respond immediately but I would certainly like someone to know exactly where i am drifting until assets can be arranged.

Reactions: Dan
OMS made an inexpensive housing that was pretty good. I paid $40 and it is made from Polycarbonate tubing with PVC caps at both ends. Aside from it being out of production, it is too small in diameter for many PLBs.

full.jpg

Post #6, DIY O-Rings for Divers in this thread might give some of you inventive/DIY divers some ideas: O-rings for Divers

Named for a sea animal because it's only for use at sea. Get a PLB, carry it everywhere, in your car driving thru no-cell zones, hiking, farming, diving, etc.

Last week my kids, granddaughter, great granddaughter and I spent a few days around Texas' most popular state park. No Verizon service for miles in any direction. We kept our phones on airplane mode to conserve batteries. My exchange student granddaughter had AT&T with service so we kept her's charged, sometimes Verizon has better coverage in some areas, but my PLB also went everywhere with us.

So this explains the discussion of the ACR PLB and the options to get it in a waterproof container. The ACR PLB has both marine and land application but not waterproof.

. . . it takes me a while :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom