PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone tried to make a waterproof case using high pressure PVC pipe and fittings from your local hardware store? I have done that in the past to store other items. You could use a screw off cap on one end for access, just make sure to use silicone grease on the threads so that it is easy to remove the cap.
I was not able to get it to seal. The pipes/threads/end-caps are designed to keep pressure in, not to stop pressure from getting in, was my guess.

I was not able to get it to seal. The pipes/threads/end-caps are designed to keep pressure in, not to stop pressure from getting in, was my guess.

It might be the type of pipe or end cap that you used, there are different pressure ratings for the pipe and fittings. I will try to make one with the higher pressure fittings and take it to depth to see if it leaks.

That answers how to file a dive plan, with a PLB, without worrying friends or family.

I don't have a PLB, but thanks.

Has anyone tried to make a waterproof case using high pressure PVC pipe and fittings from your local hardware store? I have done that in the past to store other items. You could use a screw off cap on one end for access, just make sure to use silicone grease on the threads so that it is easy to remove the cap.

It won't work. The thread is NPT type (tapered fitting). You need machine thread & o-ring that would press against 2 smooth flat surfaces to waterproof seal the cap against the pipe. Besides, the NPT thread requires wrench to tight seal the thread. You will need to carry 2 pipe wrenches to loosen the cap. :D

That answers how to file a dive plan, with a PLB, without worrying friends or family.

I don't have a PLB, but thanks.
Uh it’s a PLB registration site.

Has anyone tried to make a waterproof case using high pressure PVC pipe and fittings from your local hardware store?

PVC fittings with glued joints coupled with a slip-socket PVC O-ring sealed union work pretty well but are be bulkier than most commercial housings.

full.jpg

Uh it’s a PLB registration site.
I understand it is only for use if you have a PLB. As a potential PLB novice, I did not understand that it not only allows locating you, but also registering your intentions.

In terms of the systems anti false alarm response. To prevent my family from worry, I do not tell them every time I go off (solo) diving, so the system calling any contact number I give will not be very informative. My registering my dive plan on the site, and then an alert going off during that dive plan should go a long way to resolving any ambiguity on whether it is a false alarm or not. Equal at least to calling a contact that I kept abreast of my dive plan. Calling my cell with a caller id of 'SAR response' and getting no answer, should add to that assurance. (My diving is from shore, moderately benign, with no current, so PLB has not been a high priority.)

PVC fittings with glued joints coupled with a slip-socket PVC O-ring sealed union work pretty well but are be bulkier than most commercial housings.

Besides being bulky, unscrewing big cylinder thingy with wet hands that barely able to wrap around it, is another challenge. There is a reason for most of waterproof cares like those camera cases have latch type lid.

Back
Top Bottom