Plura, Norway: Body recovery operation started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The police has decided to drop all charges (I think the correct term is "decision of non-indictment") of trespassing against the Finnish rescue team. Apparently, the reasons were that the motive for breaking the traffic ban was exceptional, the Finns cooperated fully with the police after the bodies had been recovered, and the prosecutor didn't consider a charge to have any general preventive effect since the situation was rather unique.

Original article
Google translate

Article in English from Helsingin Sanomat (Helsinki Times) about the fatal dive: Deep

A few of the details were a bit unclear to me; I don't know if the reason for that is my lack of knowledge of cave diving, or if it's the journalist bungling things in an attempt to popularize. If anyone could try to draw a more cohetent picture of the actual events, I'd appreciate it.

Article in English from Helsingin Sanomat (Helsinki Times) about the fatal dive: Deep

A few of the details were a bit unclear to me; I don't know if the reason for that is my lack of knowledge of cave diving, or if it's the journalist bungling things in an attempt to popularize. If anyone could try to draw a more cohetent picture of the actual events, I'd appreciate it.

An interesting (but long) read none-the-less. It does seem that the divers went on this trip with woefully inadequate reserve gas in case the poo hit the fan (which it unfortunately did)

An interesting (but long) read none-the-less. It does seem that the divers went on this trip with woefully inadequate reserve gas in case the poo hit the fan (which it unfortunately did)

The article says some of them did the same dive the year before and carrying less gas.

The article says some of them did the same dive the year before and carrying less gas.

If nothing goes wrong, you don't need any reserve gas. . .

Re: # 107. The Finnish says that for the previous traverse they had taken gas down from the other end and left it, i.e. cached it on the route for the upward/outward leg of the traverse. They therefore may not have had less gas the previous time, they just didn't carry so much gas all the way through. I have no other knowledge about this, I'm just stating what the article says. It is slightly more informative/wordy/specific in the Finnish version.
The Finnish also clearly states an important and interesting matter: carrying all the gas made them travel much more slowly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom