PNG Scubabboarders 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds really interesting - PNG is approaching the top of my 'must do' list. When in 2007 do you think would be a good time to go?

Pencil me in as a provisional.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassi, we are looking at options on the time line. Doug Krause from Oceanic has put a link in earlier part of the thread for the livaboard/cliffside hotel combo. Make sure and check that out. I need to put together a provisional list. I would like imput from anyone interested as we have not chosen our month yet. My goal was to get it out there on the callendar so that there is time to save the money and make the plans schedule-wise. I am convinced it will be a top shelf experience. I am enthused about the individuals who have expressed interest. Stay in touch via this thread and give any input regarding date preferences!

okay, people. Unless someone has a another preference, we are probably choosing early June. here is what I am getting about the weather from people who know:

As for the time of year - I've been told that they can get winds that can affect dive site choices from mid-February to mid-March - not a big deal, but the resort discounts rates 20% during that timeframe. July and August is the rainy season, but I have heard from people traveling during that time that they got no rain at all during the trip.

Doug Krause from Oceanic is being very helpful and we are also am getting offers of help from an Australian Army SB-er who lives there with his family.

So...hope that helps. 2007, June. be there or be square.

I'll be there but I have to be in Canada by the last week in June, so a couple weeks in early June is perfect. Oh yeah, how long will we go for?

10-14 days? 3 days for the liveaboard, the rest topside, plus travel time.

Stephan Frinc site is great! thanks jcsgt for posting that. Dennis, i need to get all the sites together and start a list of people. any ideas? I was wanting to put something in my sig...you could too if you wanted...you know to spread the info. maybe just the resort link? I bet there will only be like ten spot or so because that place looks small and the oceanic people will be there at that time for their international meeting.

great idea. thanks.

Catherine:

Aloha.
I have been diving twice with Walindi in Kimbe Bay. I help map the reefs of the bay. The pic in my avatar is of a new seamount we discovered in the center of the bay. The bay is spectacular and the biodiversity outstanding (bring a magnifying glass for the small stuff). Max, the owner is wonderful and the accomodations great. Food is excellent and even for a vegetarian that I am. I am game to go there again next June. The rainy season is what to avoid because of the stilt the rivers dump in the bay. Note that West New Britain is remote (only one road). DAN insurance is a must as the deco chamber is far and only accessible with military transport. There are 2 boats on the bay: the dive boat and our conservation boat. The rest are dugout canoes. You also need to check the state of the eruption of the volcano in Rabau. If it is fuming the airport is closed (ashes get in the jets and damage them).The painted faces people you see from New Guinea are mostly on the Sepik river (mainland). You could dive iin Madang and go up river with a cruise to see them.

I do not know about the other resort mentionned. I stayed in Madang and Kimbe only. Af ew things to be ready for. Your bags will be searched when you arrive. Port Moresby is NOT SAFE. There is a trick to take an hotel shuttle if you have to wait between flights to be safe instead of staying at the airport. The rest of the island can be under arrest (I was in Madang when there was civil unrests) but ususally you are safe if you stay away from the conflict. Roads at night are not safe, particularly inland. Don't expect from PNG air the TSA security. There is often no power in the airport so schedules and metal detectors don't work.

I will work with my friend from PNG end of June-July (we will be working in the Solomons). I can ask him any question you have then.

I look forward to see how this develops.
Mahalo,
JL

PS: My dream destination is Rajah Ampat in Paua Indonesia, the center of the coral triangle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom