POINTING FINGERS AFTER A DIVER’S DEATH (rant & discussion)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An additional point ... boat operators providing policies and practices that help the diver have a safe dive and different than what would be obligated to provide (e.g., safe passage to and from the dive site) do help the bottom line. A diver that comes up bent or, in the worst case, dead costs the boat a lot of money ... the O2 provided in response to the incident, the race back to the dock (likely at higher speeds than a normal return so more fuel burned), the potential lost income from other divers who may not come back for another dive on the boat, etc. There are real costs to the boat operator if there is an injury/death on one of their dive trips.

So the additional practices of monitoring diver performance (checking certs, checking air/depth, keeping divers out that went into deco or violated computer deco obligation, etc.) can be a positive addition to the bottom line.
I think I'm in love....

Part of the problem is the certification agencies portraying that scuba is safe for the whole family including the elderly and children. They gloss over the fact that open water is an inherently dangerous environment. Talking to a non-diver they think the biggest risk underwater is sharks, they don't understand OxTox, DCS, or other problems with diving under pressure. With such a public perception it is not difficult for attorneys to find a sympathetic jury. The agencies make their money on certifications, membership fees, book and materials, etc. The more divers and dive professionals the better. When things go bad they are not the ones getting sued.

Yeah, I hate that "scuba diving is perfectly safe." No it isn't. It is through properly maintained equipment, the right gear, the right training, and good judgment that people make it to the surface without incident.

I was told specifically NOT to scare students, that I shouldn't say that one reason that they need to know to do a mask removal and replacement (and possibly carry a spare) is that someone might kick them in the face and knock their mask off. "Oh not! That's going to happen to me!" is what I was told that they'd think. Are we not supposed to not sign off students in all skills that are mastered (performed fluidly, comfortably, and repeatedly?). Then they will be thinking "if it happens, I'm ready." If they cannot reach that point, they shouldn't be certified.

I prefer not to coddle my students. I'd rather have someone say scuba diving isn't for them than to have my name as the certifying instructor for someone who dies from not being able to execute basic skills.

An additional point ... boat operators providing policies and practices that help the diver have a safe dive and different than what would be obligated to provide (e.g., safe passage to and from the dive site) do help the bottom line. A diver that comes up bent or, in the worst case, dead costs the boat a lot of money ... the O2 provided in response to the incident, the race back to the dock (likely at higher speeds than a normal return so more fuel burned), the potential lost income from other divers who may not come back for another dive on the boat, etc. There are real costs to the boat operator if there is an injury/death on one of their dive trips.

So the additional practices of monitoring diver performance (checking certs, checking air/depth, keeping divers out that went into deco or violated computer deco obligation, etc.) can be a positive addition to the bottom line.

Another cost that I haven't seen addressed is the therapy that the crew may need after being 'front and center' when a diver dies (or nearly dies, takes a DCS hit, gets seriously injured) while on their watch. As a therapist I see police officers/fire fighters/veterans with PTSD. It's astounding that some precincts encourage - and offer - therapy after a traumatic event, while others encourage their people to 'shrug it off'. So I agree that being scrupulous about divers' dive readiness, rule following, listening to briefings, etc., may be worth the PITA. I imagine retaining really good employees in the dive industry is challenging. Witnessing a death might just be one reason they leave the industry. That's a lot of pressure to put on folks, especially when they aren't particularly well compensated.

Another cost that I haven't seen addressed is the therapy that the crew may need after being 'front and center' when a diver dies (or nearly dies, takes a DCS hit, gets seriously injured) while on their watch. As a therapist I see police officers/fire fighters/veterans with PTSD. It's astounding that some precincts encourage - and offer - therapy after a traumatic event, while others encourage their people to 'shrug it off'. So I agree that being scrupulous about divers' dive readiness, rule following, listening to briefings, etc., may be worth the PITA. I imagine retaining really good employees in the dive industry is challenging. Witnessing a death might just be one reason they leave the industry. That's a lot of pressure to put on folks, especially when they aren't particularly well compensated.

This^^^ I know of a scenario right now where someone in my extended circle passed away on a dive through no fault of the instructor. Last I heard, the instructor was inconsolable and has not been able to get back into the water to earn his living.

This^^^ I know of a scenario right now where someone in my extended circle passed away on a dive through no fault of the instructor. Last I heard, the instructor was inconsolable and has not been able to get back into the water to earn his living.
Actually relatively common for folks in the business, especially if they drank the "diving is safe" kool-aid. When they get life shoved in their face (I lost a crewmember after he suffered through 3 diving fatalities, not on my boat, but in a few years) they sit back and reflect on life as presented, which isn't always what we want it to be.

As we go through life we all have, or will have to, deal with (in our own way) loved ones and/or friends passing , and then surprise surprise, one day it will be our own passing. Or as the (very) late Jim Morrison once sang, and it is worth reflecting on "nobody gets outta here alive" Sad but true.

Another cost that I haven't seen addressed is the therapy that the crew may need after being 'front and center' when a diver dies (or nearly dies, takes a DCS hit, gets seriously injured) while on their watch
FWIW, there's a therapist here in SoCal, Dr. Gary Brown, who specializes in such post-accident therapy for the rescuers. Dr. Brown has worked with first responders in the aftermath of the Oklahoma City bombing, the 9/11 attacks, and others. I have personally used him for our staff following the two dive fatalities we had during Reef Seekers trips. The general process is a group discussion, involving only those actually hands-on involved, and lasts 3-4 hours. There's a model/process that Gary works the group through and it seems to help. I don't know if he's willing/available for travel but if not, I'm sure he'd know someone in your local area for a referral. if anyone needs to contact Gary (the incident needs to be fairly fresh), please PM me.

We also set up a similar program at the USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber for volunteer staff involved in treatments that ended up being fatal. The program was administered by one of the volunteer crew members (who has since passed away) who was also a psychologist and who worked with Dr. brown to develop the program.

Point is that it's not so much that the help isn't out there, it's just that many people in our industry either don't know where to go to find it or, as you mentioned, figured they can just "shrug it off."

- Ken

Actually relatively common for folks in the business, especially if they drank the "diving is safe" kool-aid. When they get life shoved in their face (I lost a crewmember after he suffered through 3 diving fatalities, not on my boat, but in a few years) they sit back and reflect on life as presented, which isn't always what we want it to be.

It's not uncommon in any business where people can die. I work for the rail roads in my regular life, and they have PTSD response programs for locomotive engineers that are driving trains where someone decides that "suicide by train" is the way to go.

We are biologically driven to stay alive, so our brains don't process death very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom