Police divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GG needed officers to do S&R for firearms tossed in various lakes and ponds of the city
How successful were they?

Having done several S&Rs in lakes with silty bottoms, I have to admit my success rate has not been stellar. I would think a firearm dropped in such an environment would sink into silt immediately and be invisible in the horrible visibility. Of course, on TV detective shows, they find the guns in a few minutes.

Last edited:
Miranda rights only have to be given before interrogations, not prior to arrests.

Reactions: Doc

Having done several S&Rs in makes with silty bottoms, I have to admit my success rate has not been stellar. I would think a firearm dropped in such an environment would sink into silt immediately and be invisible in the horrible visibility. Of course, on TV detective shows, they find the guns in a few minutes.

When I do a recovery dive, I pretty much just close my eyes, because they don't help. At least around here, visibility is always 0. Like really 0. Part of our procedure is digging into the bottom. It's really not hard finding things underwater if you approach it right, and my team has a very good track record. We've found guns, people, parts of people, jewelry, keys, safes, fake fingernails, etc.

Once we had a call to find four guns (3 long and a pistol). We found three of the four guns, and reported that the last gun was not there. We took some crap for that until the last gun turned up a couple of weeks later at another (connected) residence. It had never been in the water.

On another call, there was literally 10'-12' of silt. One of the weirdest dives I've ever done, kept ending up IN the bottom and had to keep "climbing" out. Still found our target.

When I do a recovery dive, I pretty much just close my eyes, because they don't help. At least around here, visibility is always 0. Like really 0. Part of our procedure is digging into the bottom. It's really not hard finding things underwater if you approach it right, and my team has a very good track record. We've found guns, people, parts of people, jewelry, keys, safes, fake fingernails, etc.

Once we had a call to find four guns (3 long and a pistol). We found three of the four guns, and reported that the last gun was not there. We took some crap for that until the last gun turned up a couple of weeks later at another (connected) residence. It had never been in the water.

On another call, there was literally 10'-12' of silt. One of the weirdest dives I've ever done, kept ending up IN the bottom and had to keep "climbing" out. Still found our target.
Wow! You have my admiration.

I had a long chat with a police diver a few years ago, and he described some of his experiences. In one he ended up swimming through the back door of an upside down automobile. Amazing!

Wow++. We once managed to find a 50-gal drum but neither of us had an smb so we came up to signal the boat. By the time the boat got there and we got out marker, the barrel was lost. (We marked the spot anyway and after lunch they dropped a dozen or so divers there. They found it.)

Having done several S&Rs in lakes with silty bottoms, I have to admit my success rate has not been stellar. I would think a firearm dropped in such an environment would sink into silt immediately and be invisible in the horrible visibility. Of course, on TV detective shows, they find the guns in a few minutes.

I have never been in a firearms search. Once when I was on a dive, another with me found a sawn-off shotgun barrel, and he handed it in at a police station on his way home after the dive. (I am in England.).

I am familiar with the sort of still freshwater bottom described above: I call it "soft fluffy mud", because it feels fluffy to a bare hand underwater.

Twice been involved in an attempted firearms recovery so far, 100% by touch in no viz...
... Both resulted in no recovery.

My respects to the law enforcement divers recovering evidence in consistently challenging conditions.

Underwater arrests, not heard any good stories of it in Canada. On a humorous note: might have something also to do with the viz. Tough to ID a suspect by touch. ; )

Regards,
Cameron

I got my first scuba dive certification in 1972, when I was fourteen, thru the Tauch Gruppe Lorrach. That was in Germany down near the Swiss border and translates to Dive Group Lorrach. I saw an add in the local paper that this club (I thought it was club!!) was giving away free scuba lessons so I signed up. Thing was, I was raised on speaking what's called High German or Proper German but in that area of Germany, everybody spoke a dialect known as Alamanisch. It's like a foreign language to a High German speaker like me! I didn't read the fine print. The guy was talking so fast, I missed part of it. I just wanted to learn how to scuba dive, ok???!!! I signed a contract!!!

They taught me how to scuba dive. They even gave me my own gear! First in a classroom, then a pool, some open water stuff in some lakes and then some rough water training in the Wiese River and a few other rivers. Say what? Rough water scuba diving training? Yikes! Whatya mean I'm working for the gubmint? Volunteering? Say what?

Yeah, I signed a contract stating that the local government would teach me how to dive and give me some free gear. In return, I had to volunteer to them for a year to do underwater recovery work. Our dive group had to look for cars, guns, bodies, etc. in rivers and lakes in the area. Truthfully, it wasn't really that bad and was actually kind of cool sometimes. I got to dive in some neat and weird places.

My dad's yacht club lost an outboard motor that jumped its mount. Spun around Long Island Sound until the fuel in the line ran out an sank like a stone. They dropped a marker and I found it the next day.

I did look for some equipment that some Yale researchers lost in the middle of a lake. They hadn't marked the spot either time. The silt was denser than water but so soft you wouldn't feel it for the 18". Didn't find those either time. I told the guy I was with to stop using cotton clothes line to dangle gear in the water, buy proper rope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom