POLL: What was your first dive computer and would you buy it again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aladin Pro 20+ years ago. Would not buy again but is was THE REFERENCE, at least for Europeans and in those days.
Cressi Leonardo 2 years ago. I would not buy again, too conservative and innapropriate deco algorhytm
Heinrichs Weinkamp OSTC Sport. Multigaz, colored screen. Il love it

Aladin Pro 20+ years ago. Would not buy again but is was THE REFERENCE, at least for Europeans and in those days.
Cressi Leonardo 2 years ago. I would not buy again, too conservative and innapropriate deco algorhytm
Heinrichs Weinkamp OSTC Sport. Multigaz, colored screen. Il love it

I owned a HW Frog a few years back, loved it until it died and they'd stopped making them so ended up with a Petrel, now P2. Really like the look of the Sport if I ever have the cash to buy a back up if likely buy the Sport, HW are good people. Glad you like it. How do you find the compass? If you can post a picture or two would be nice. Cheers.

I had a Oceanic Pro Plus 2... I liked the nice large display and being able to download my dives logs onto a software program i maintained. I dont think they make them anymore unfortunately but there is a many to be found on the secondary market.

Sherwood profile it works great it's a bit of a pain watching the accent rate but everything else is great on it for a beginner I asked my instructor/lds owner what comp I should buy and he pointed to his the one button operation is a bit of a pain but after reading the manual you get used to it I am looking at an air integrated console comp but would still use the wrist boot as redundancy that and grabbing at the console would drive me nuts I'm also thinking of wrist mounting the air integrated comp

ORCA Skinny Dipper (still have it but don't use it) followed by Uwatec Aladin Pro (battery not user replaceable so got rid of it when it died) then Dive Rite Nitek Duo (bad luck with them but Seiko no longer makes dive computers so have no experience with current Dive Rite line).

Primary computers have been Uwatec Tec 2G and 2G the past five years. I'd buy them again.

Reactions: Jax
My first computer was an Aeris Manta. Pretty robust, 6 years later a friend still uses it. But I would not buy it again: no gas switches, awful user interface (meaning the way you press the buttons to get results), ascent indication given only as alarm when it is too late.

Next one was a Vyper Air. Good computer for recreational diving. Only complain is that after a few years, some of the LCD segments became washed out (hard to see).

Now I have a Petrel 2. I cannot ask for more, it is just perfect.

I'm new to diving and just bought my first computer TODAY...a Petrel 2. My decision was based on a lot of research, but ultimately what won me over was how much the members of this forum seem to like theirs. I know it is way more advanced than I am, but I hope to quickly get to a point where I am able to take advantage of everything it has to offer. I'm from the "pay a little extra to get something that will last the first time" camp. However, now that I finally bit the bullet, I'm having a little bit of buyers remorse. The LDS that I purchased it from had a great Black Friday deal on a Mares Icon HD and I'm wondering if I shouldn't have taken advantage of that. The reason being that it has AI and the ability to monitor my dive buddies air as well. My buddy is my 13 year old daughter and for some reason, that seems like it might be nice to have.

Of course, being new to diving, I have no idea whether that should be a concern or not. Any help?

Oceanic Veo 2.0, in a console mount (purchased as part of a package). While I'll probably upgrade to an AI configuration at some point (hose or wrist mount as-yet undecided), it's served me quite well so far and is pretty easy to use. I like it well enough that I've just ordered another (in wrist mount configuration) for my sister, who's currently in the process of becoming certified.

I'm new to diving and just bought my first computer TODAY...a Petrel 2. My decision was based on a lot of research, but ultimately what won me over was how much the members of this forum seem to like theirs. I know it is way more advanced than I am, but I hope to quickly get to a point where I am able to take advantage of everything it has to offer. I'm from the "pay a little extra to get something that will last the first time" camp. However, now that I finally bit the bullet, I'm having a little bit of buyers remorse. The LDS that I purchased it from had a great Black Friday deal on a Mares Icon HD and I'm wondering if I shouldn't have taken advantage of that. The reason being that it has AI and the ability to monitor my dive buddies air as well. My buddy is my 13 year old daughter and for some reason, that seems like it might be nice to have.

Of course, being new to diving, I have no idea whether that should be a concern or not. Any help?

It's always better to dive 2 computers than one....

SUUNTO GECKO.

No. I would not buy it because it is too conservative and I need a simpler bottom timer style that can be turned into just time and depth mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom