POLL: What was your first dive computer and would you buy it again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's always better to dive 2 computers than one....

Without qualifying that statement with a bunch of "if....." it's a worthless statement.

How would someone who has done less than 100 dives know that it is better to dive with 2 computers than one????

How would someone who has done less than 100 dives know that it is better to dive with 2 computers than one????
Oh, good point. Because the decision to carry 2 computers versus 1 is not based on logic and reason, which anyone can learn and understand. It's based on intuition - a gut feeling, if you will - based on lots of dive experience. My bad.

Anyway, my comment was really intended as a tongue-in-cheek "here's your justification to buy another computer" type of statement. I always seem to forget that the Scubanati brook no jokes but their own.
Without qualifying that statement with a bunch of "if....." it's a worthless statement.
Speaking of worthless statements....

My first computer was an Aeris Atmos 2. Around dive 100 I tried to change the batteries and flooded it on the first day of diving in the Keys. Ran over to store and bought a Suunto Vyper. Aeris was cleaned up at my LDS (also a nationwide scuba service facility) and running again. Dove two computers from then on. Vyper got some issues at 100 dives later. I never liked its menus and interface. Replaced it with a Suunto Zoop. Always dive the 2 computers even when I travel. Now a bit over 400 dives. Aeris and Zoop are still working fine. I dive 30-40 times a year. My requirements are simple: nitrox, hold the O2 setting from dive 1 to dive 2, allow me to exceed NDL (not that I plan on it but that is definitely a time when you want the computer there for you), simple to navigate, easy to read. I like button vs wet contacts. Happy with both the Zoop and the Aeris.

If I am able to go diving I do not want to loose a dive because a piece of equipment does not work right. I now change my batteries on both computers every year when I get the other equipment checked out. Have not had battery issues since I started doing that.

My first computer was a Suunto Mosquito. I liked it but wanted something bigger and easy to see. I now run two Petrels.

Scubapro Galileo Luna. Yep, I'd buy it again.

I've replaced it with a shearwater petrel for cave diving, but the galileo is better for new divers imo.

I'm new to diving and just bought my first computer TODAY...a Petrel 2. My decision was based on a lot of research, but ultimately what won me over was how much the members of this forum seem to like theirs. I know it is way more advanced than I am, but I hope to quickly get to a point where I am able to take advantage of everything it has to offer. I'm from the "pay a little extra to get something that will last the first time" camp. However, now that I finally bit the bullet, I'm having a little bit of buyers remorse. The LDS that I purchased it from had a great Black Friday deal on a Mares Icon HD and I'm wondering if I shouldn't have taken advantage of that. The reason being that it has AI and the ability to monitor my dive buddies air as well. My buddy is my 13 year old daughter and for some reason, that seems like it might be nice to have.

Of course, being new to diving, I have no idea whether that should be a concern or not. Any help?

Good choices, for the reasons you describe.

first one was one of those aqua lung cans the size of a army canteen back in the 70's. i gave it to a dive buddy of mine who still has it but it is a museum piece now. so no i would not buy it again but back then it was better than relying on the navy tables.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom